1st post on the new forum! Airmax shoulder stock project begins....
I posted this yesterday on the old yellow forum but I figured I should re-post here in the interest of keeping it up for awhile...
Some of you will remember my post showing my concept design laid out on a piece of cardboard:
My first step was to cut out the basic two dimensional shape out of a chunk of black walnut that I've been saving for many years. There's a little sap wood at the pistol grip which needs to go so a contrasting grip cap will be just what the Dr. ordered to replace the wood that must be removed:
Next is my least favorite part of the job. Inletting the grip frame / action of the pistol into the blank. A couple of hours with a mallet and chisels and I was there:
Next was the task of getting the basic skeletonized look started by cutting away the wood from withing the outer dimensions. I opted to go with a completely open frame rather than split it up with a divider as was in the original cardboard pattern. This will reduce the overall weight just a little more:
Now the real fun begins. This is where I'll begin shaping the stock but that'll have to wait for another day as I ran out of time.
I'll post up again as progress continues. Hopefully you're enjoying the journey.