Notifications
Clear all

DIY targets  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

pluric
(@pluric)
February 25, 2018 21:57:07  

I'm always messing around making targets for air guns. So many I've' forgotten where I've put them and what I've made. They turn up in a storage garage all the time. This weekend I was making 100 yard targets and some metal hanging balls for closer range. Pretty simple bend a U frame and weld some  nuts to the ends to hold the target bar.

304d

They fold flat for transport.

304a

I like electrical boxes to use for a rubber landscape mulch holder. I cut a hole a little smaller than a standard size paper.

304b

When the box is filled with mulch I put a piece of cardboard on top and the target page on top of that. Close the lid and it's held firmly in place. When it's shot up I replace the cardboard and shoot it up again.

304e
304f

Some boxes have their own lock, others I just add a hasp.

304c

ekmeister, Gromit, Android and 2 people thanked
Isledweller
(@isledweller)
November 21, 2019 10:29:43  

Any thoughts on these systems for use by a "hobbiest"?

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
November 21, 2019 11:29:01  

Mechanically its very similar to how my torchmate works, lead screws and stepper motors. I find this type of set up works well up to speeds of 150 inches a minute cutting speed. Much over 150ipm the steppers will loose steps during quick movements.  

For a home shop a water table is the way to go for controlling the smoke. Some use down draft but then you need a fan and ductwork to pull the smoke out of the shop.

Ive never heard of that system, it may be great. My only concern is customer support. With torchmate I can call there facility in Reno and get help with a phone call. And I have called a lot. 

If your looking at cnc plasmas I would go to plasmaspider.com and look under the manufacturer's area and see all the brands out there and see what comments the users have. 

My brother has a 2x2 Baleigh table, its nice but he has more problems than me and customer service is almost non existent. 

Plasmacam has been around for ever and I hear good things about them.

Anything bigger than 2x2 you need a THC(torch height control) on the Z axis either voltage based or ohmnic sensing to account for material warping. You want to maintain a .060 or so gap between torch and material for best cuts and consumable life. Plus on thicker metal the torch pierces at .250 then lowers to .060 for the cut. 

Lots to consider, I've had a cnc table for over 10 years now, started with a 2x2 and now its a 4x4. Next 5x10 ?

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
November 21, 2019 13:36:15  
Posted by: @isledweller

Any thoughts on these systems for use by a "hobbiest"?

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/

I started to sniff around on a table now. Your link looks very interesting. Especially on price. I have zero clue how you would load the design to cut on to a computer. Scan it?? I'll have to continue sniffing for more information. If my wife would ever let me retire this looks like it could keep me busy. Not a big deal, I can still cobble out my hand cut stuff. Just it looks so hand cut.

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
November 21, 2019 17:02:42  

Rick, you will have to learn to draw on a cad program. There are ways to scan an image, but they always need clean up in a cad program. One you get a drawing you have to convert it to a dxf file. Then you need to convert it into a gcode and tell it to cut female tool paths for holes and male tool path for perimeter, lead ins and such. The gcode is what the tables uses to cut objects. 

The drawing is the hardest part. Ive got 1000s of drawings and more time than I care to think about drawing and getting it right so you dont have to throw it in the scrap pile. 

You can cut some intricate stuff if you spend enough time drawing on cad.  Tgere are people who will draw objects for you for a reasonable price. I had a detailed badge I needed to cut and did not have the time to draw it from scratch. I sent a photo of what I needed and got a almost cut ready file for like 40 bucks. Money well spent. Ill attach the picture of the final project. 

Its not that hard, just time consuming. 

20191121 140148

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
November 21, 2019 20:33:18  
Posted by: @davec107

Rick, you will have to learn to draw on a cad program. There are ways to scan an image, but they always need clean up in a cad program. One you get a drawing you have to convert it to a dxf file. Then you need to convert it into a gcode and tell it to cut female tool paths for holes and male tool path for perimeter, lead ins and such. The gcode is what the tables uses to cut objects. 

The drawing is the hardest part. Ive got 1000s of drawings and more time than I care to think about drawing and getting it right so you dont have to throw it in the scrap pile. 

You can cut some intricate stuff if you spend enough time drawing on cad.  Tgere are people who will draw objects for you for a reasonable price. I had a detailed badge I needed to cut and did not have the time to draw it from scratch. I sent a photo of what I needed and got a almost cut ready file for like 40 bucks. Money well spent. Ill attach the picture of the final project. 

Its not that hard, just time consuming. 

20191121 140148

Yeah, I tried Google translate and it couldn't help me on that. 😉 🤣 

Looks like I'll be using my hand held a little longer.  😯 

That badge is amazing!

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
November 21, 2019 21:30:20  

@pluric

Lol, yeah a lot going on..nothing's wrong hand cutting. Ive done tons of that.  

Ok back to targets. Made this up today. 

20191121 182537

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
November 21, 2019 23:14:42  
Posted by: @davec107

@pluric

Lol, yeah a lot going on..nothing's wrong hand cutting. Ive done tons of that.  

Ok back to targets. Made this up today. 

20191121 182537

What gauge is the metal on the frog? Hard to tell but it looks like a .30 caliber would be having frog legs for dinner.

Nice design. I could never hand cut with that kind of detail.

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
November 21, 2019 23:37:18  

Lol, for sure .30  and its frog legs. Its 12 ga. Only made for 12fpe and under,  special request needed it light weight so it would spin with wimpy pew pew..

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
November 23, 2019 18:18:31  
Posted by: @pluric

My first try at a remote control reset knock down target. The plan is to make two of these for a speed challenge event. Did 15 knockdowns intentionally so there would be a mandatory magazine change and the 8 shot magazine guns would have more level playing field. The last shot would be for the final knock down to determine who got there first.

Ordered some 12v linear actuators from ebay. Didn't have a clue how much travel I would need so I started with 8 inches. Turns out for this project 4 inches is fine. I know there's a dirty joke in there somewhere. 😜  Anyway, found a relatively high speed (50mm a second) actuator and made this. I wish I could upload a video. It takes three seconds to reset, another three to lower the reset bar. I walked out about 75 yards and the remote still triggered the actuator so that should be plenty. I will add the front armor later when the second one is done. 

Power
Power a
Power c
Power d

I finally got around to finishing the stop target for this event. So there are two 15 count circle targets that side by side shooters race to shoot as fast as possible. It's usually about 40-50 yards out. Then you have to shoot the stop target to see who finishes first. They are designed to fall at an angle so one will land on top of the other. The trick is the stop target is 10-15 yards out and hard to find if you have your scope set for 50 yards. You lose time to adjust for it or you just shoot at the blur.

I made this wireless reset stop target to go with it.

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
November 24, 2019 11:10:14  

That works slick, another fine job👍you just keep setting the bar higher for new target designs. I cant wait to knock the paint off of those in June...or attempt to chip paint...

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
January 5, 2020 23:13:40  

Fun afternoon project. I'd found these plastic target bottles on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pack-Bottle-Shooting-Targets-Reusable-Resetting-Reactive-Range-Practice-Target/264540972063?hash=item3d97dee41f:g:1KwAAOSw~MZd1seC

They come with hanging strings and a storage bag. I pictured the strings getting shot up fast so I decided to use chains. As long as I was going to make it a project I took some bed frame angle iron and made a take down frame for it. I was shocked to find out I couldn't drill it in the deep V part. Wrecked several bits and thought I'm getting the plasma cutter involved. I'd even run to Home Depot and bought the $10 a bit super last 15 times longer wonder bit. Fried before making it halfway through the first hole. 😠 

Took 1/4 inch eyelets and spread them open in a vice. Put the chain link in and pressed it closed using the vice.

Bottle d

The bottom of the bottle has a larger hole so using an extension I could get the nut on the eyelet bolt inside the bottle. The smaller bottles had too small of a neck to get it all the way. It will still work fine.

bottle c

When hit they swing and make the next shot harder. I know the bottles will get shot up but I think they will last for a while. Easy change out when destroyed.

Bottle b

If someone wants the "easy button" a set of these brackets and some old studs will make a quick stand.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=saw%20horse%20brackets

Even pre-cut threaded pipe or PVC could be make a quick stand too. Better than picking up bottles after one shot.

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
February 26, 2020 13:33:31  

I made this for a friend over the weekend. Combination target with a bit of everything. The round spinner is just two metal circles cut in half and welded on a tube.

Target c

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
February 27, 2020 09:06:48  

This looks like some kinda drinking game!

I'll call it... "Beer Ping!"

Call your shots... I'm gonna take the gun outta his right hand...

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)
February 27, 2020 16:13:25  

@pluric

I love the rack of targets.  It looks great!  Maybe some day I can place an order with you for a carnival sized mega arcade.

I love airgun targets.  I have about a dozen Steel Plinkers targets of every sort including resets, head resets, quads, and spinners, a Caldwell Moving Target arcade with smaller paddles, and several racks of different spinners, a bell target, a Gamo Rocker target, some small resettable silhouette racks, cow bells, and a bunch of larger silhouette targets.  I even have a Lyman paper target that will scroll down new targets as needed.  It it so fun to set up a whole field with targets and have a bunch of airgunners get together and plink for the day.  i haven't done that in a couple years.

David Enoch

pluric and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
February 27, 2020 16:53:24  
Posted by: @davidenoch

@pluric

I love the rack of targets.  It looks great!  Maybe some day I can place an order with you for a carnival sized mega arcade.

I love airgun targets.  I have about a dozen Steel Plinkers targets of every sort including resets, head resets, quads, and spinners, a Caldwell Moving Target arcade with smaller paddles, and several racks of different spinners, a bell target, a Gamo Rocker target, some small resettable silhouette racks, cow bells, and a bunch of larger silhouette targets.  I even have a Lyman paper target that will scroll down new targets as needed.  It it so fun to set up a whole field with targets and have a bunch of airgunners get together and plink for the day.  i haven't done that in a couple years.

David Enoch

Yup, I was asked to let a youth group shoot for an activity. Between all the targets, benches and guns I had to take a trailer. Fortunately, my son was available to help load and fill air. It was all girls. They loved it! I was surprised at how they all responded. I think the no recoil and low noise made it fun for them. It's hard to see but my Caldwell shooting gallery is in the field. I'd put a metal plate in front to protect the finish. At the end, I'd offered $5 to anyone who could hit it at 40 yards using a shooting stick. First two shooters nailed it with a FX Streamline .22. I started to worry I didn't have enough cash with me. 🤑  No one else hit it so I was lucky. 😎 

I have so many targets in the back garage I don't even remember what's there. I'll open a case and think, "oh, I remember those". I hate to admit it but I've bought an airgun forgetting I already had the same one. 😳  I can't tell if the mind is starting to go or if that's normal for my age. 😕 

Range

Range a

Speaking of range targets. I brought these home from Utah Airguns indoor range. I'm going to give them a tune-up at my Target Hospital. They've had a hard life. I'm also working on replacing them with a different style that hopefully will be more .30 caliber friendly.

Target e

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
March 1, 2020 19:09:48  

Not sure what I'll do with these. I just wanted to practice with the plasma cutter.

Plasma c

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
March 7, 2020 22:38:58  

After looking at the bird silhouettes I had an idea. A tree target. Cherry tree so I could add some small "cherry" spinners too. Made a couple squirrels as well. First target I've done where all the silhouettes were hand done by me.

Cherry tree a

Gave one of the crows a head shot spinner.

Cherry Tree

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
March 8, 2020 00:24:21  

Well that looks really nice!

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
March 29, 2020 19:30:39  

I had cut out some Pot Gut silhouettes and wasn't sure what to do with them. I'd made a break down travel target box for my UTV and didn't have any break down targets at home. So, I went simple with these. Wanted them to be flat in the ammo box. Simple slot cut in the silhouette and the same on the base support.

Simple c

simple b

Little paint and I have enough to set out at different distances.

Simple a

Took the last bird silhouettes and made a simple hanger that removes from the bird for storage.

Simple

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
March 31, 2020 18:57:15  

Well, this turned out more work than I thought. I've wanted a rat race target for a while now and started on it yesterday. Getting close to done now. may want to slow it down a bit. Or leave it for more challenge.

Rat race d

Rat Race a

Rat race b

Rat race c

Rat race

ReplyQuote
bmcmay
(@bmcmay)
June 26, 2020 19:09:38  

@pluric  HI, I am sorry if I missed but do you sell targets? I have been a member on the Yellow for along time but have not been on much past 6 years on and off since I had a little son. Now I just taught him to shoot and he loves to shoot but my targets are banged up and bent purchased from Steel Plinkers(which is no longer in business)

Your Targets are fantastic.

Thank you,

JR

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
July 29, 2020 02:06:51  

Due to the Covid outbreak our local airgun event sponsor has cancelled all competitions. Some shooters are trying to do a few events on their own. I was asked to help with targets. Oh no big deal, they only needed 34 for next month and 20 Field Targets for the month after that. What??? Then as they spoke about future plans I felt I needed to design a system that would allow for flexibility without having to make all new targets. Kind of a component system.

The black squares are to hold magnetic numbers. With that many targets shooters can get lost. So numbers will help keep them on track. I wanted removable numbers so the stands could be set up first and then number them. 

First event is two rows of 17 targets from 30-200 yards. 

event a

I thought their requested sizes were too easy for bench rested guns. So the system I have allows target changes in seconds. Pull a clip and you can slide a replacement in.

event d

So with spare options I will make if shooters complain it's too easy then we can replace them with smaller diameter options.

event h

Animal silhouettes, KYL style targets are all available options. The system breaks down for storage or transport.

event e

It also stores nicely. This is 34 targets taking up very little space considering the amount.

event

They also want to do Field Target events. I'm making uprights that will allow removable targets yet provide a steady base so no pounding it in the ground to fall over. 

event f

Can also use the base to hold a metal frame if paper targets need a support. All would break down for transport and storage.

ReplyQuote
doninva
(@doninva)
July 29, 2020 10:11:06  

Would you need targets that pull up with a string for field target? I like the stand idea. Could you mount them in a tree. We have a lot mounted in trees, at matches around here. Don

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
July 29, 2020 10:27:49  
Posted by: @doninva

Would you need targets that pull up with a string for field target? I like the stand idea. Could you mount them in a tree. We have a lot mounted in trees, at matches around here. Don

In Utah, areas we can shoot in generally don't have trees available. So it's more of a desert landscape or a gun range for an event. Making 20 drop targets by next month could be a time problem. They prefer the drop with a string return. When I announced that I was done with the August targets the guy with a commercial plasma cutter sent me this photo,

event i

Sheesh, 75 cut outs. I may try both styles with a shot reset and a drop with string reset. They're killing me here! 😲 

ReplyQuote
doninva
(@doninva)
July 29, 2020 10:57:04  

I tried the shoot to reset targets. I still have one in my shop, on a shelf. My wife requested l not shoot it on my range. She said the pellets were bouncing off and hitting in the trees next to her chicken coupe. Don

ReplyQuote
doninva
(@doninva)
July 29, 2020 11:00:38  

It apears someone doesn't want you to get bored! 

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
July 29, 2020 11:22:42  
Posted by: @doninva

It apears someone doesn't want you to get bored! 

I retired in April. It's the ole cliche "I don't know how I ever had time to work!" Honestly I've never been so busy. I want my old job back just to get the rest. 😉 😀  If it was winter it wouldn't be so bad. Summer is suppose to be my play time. I don't do winter sports and look forward to winter garage time. 

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
August 2, 2020 23:41:52  

Small update on the "component" target system I've been working on. Made a string pull reset target. They are more labor intensive. Just had to figure out the linkage enough so it wouldn't drop when the silhouette was hit. I put an early drop stop on it to make resetting it easier.

mod e
Mod d

I also wanted to be able to make it more challenging with kill shot hole size. I welded some channel in a V shape on the back and can drop in circle plugs with different hole sizes. 

Mod g
Mod f

I then switched to reset style targets. Drop the top and reset by shooting the lower circle. Much simpler linkage. The ram is just a simple swing hanger.

Mod
Mod a

Mod b
mod c

They are all made to work with the bases and stands I'd already made. 

ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
August 3, 2020 09:44:56  

Interesting Pluric!

What if I told you that there is a target design that is a "half-way" embodiment between pull reset, shoot to reset, and spinner?

It needs some refinement, but the basics are good.

Target blocks with bad shots, falls down with good shots and resets itself (no electrics) after a short while.

Would you be interested in making a run?

If so, PM me, please.

HM

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4