Notifications

DIY targets  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

pluric
( @pluric )
2018-02-25 21:57:07  

I'm always messing around making targets for air guns. So many I've' forgotten where I've put them and what I've made. They turn up in a storage garage all the time. This weekend I was making 100 yard targets and some metal hanging balls for closer range. Pretty simple bend a U frame and weld some  nuts to the ends to hold the target bar.

304d

They fold flat for transport.

304a

I like electrical boxes to use for a rubber landscape mulch holder. I cut a hole a little smaller than a standard size paper.

304b

When the box is filled with mulch I put a piece of cardboard on top and the target page on top of that. Close the lid and it's held firmly in place. When it's shot up I replace the cardboard and shoot it up again.

304e
304f

Some boxes have their own lock, others I just add a hasp.

304c

ekmeister, Gromit, Android and 2 people thanked
Isledweller
( @isledweller )
2019-11-21 10:29:43  

Any thoughts on these systems for use by a "hobbiest"?

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
Davec107
( @davec107 )
2019-11-21 11:29:01  

Mechanically its very similar to how my torchmate works, lead screws and stepper motors. I find this type of set up works well up to speeds of 150 inches a minute cutting speed. Much over 150ipm the steppers will loose steps during quick movements.  

For a home shop a water table is the way to go for controlling the smoke. Some use down draft but then you need a fan and ductwork to pull the smoke out of the shop.

Ive never heard of that system, it may be great. My only concern is customer support. With torchmate I can call there facility in Reno and get help with a phone call. And I have called a lot. 

If your looking at cnc plasmas I would go to plasmaspider.com and look under the manufacturer's area and see all the brands out there and see what comments the users have. 

My brother has a 2x2 Baleigh table, its nice but he has more problems than me and customer service is almost non existent. 

Plasmacam has been around for ever and I hear good things about them.

Anything bigger than 2x2 you need a THC(torch height control) on the Z axis either voltage based or ohmnic sensing to account for material warping. You want to maintain a .060 or so gap between torch and material for best cuts and consumable life. Plus on thicker metal the torch pierces at .250 then lowers to .060 for the cut. 

Lots to consider, I've had a cnc table for over 10 years now, started with a 2x2 and now its a 4x4. Next 5x10 ?

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2019-11-21 13:36:15  
Posted by: @isledweller

Any thoughts on these systems for use by a "hobbiest"?

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/

I started to sniff around on a table now. Your link looks very interesting. Especially on price. I have zero clue how you would load the design to cut on to a computer. Scan it?? I'll have to continue sniffing for more information. If my wife would ever let me retire this looks like it could keep me busy. Not a big deal, I can still cobble out my hand cut stuff. Just it looks so hand cut.

ReplyQuote
Davec107
( @davec107 )
2019-11-21 17:02:42  

Rick, you will have to learn to draw on a cad program. There are ways to scan an image, but they always need clean up in a cad program. One you get a drawing you have to convert it to a dxf file. Then you need to convert it into a gcode and tell it to cut female tool paths for holes and male tool path for perimeter, lead ins and such. The gcode is what the tables uses to cut objects. 

The drawing is the hardest part. Ive got 1000s of drawings and more time than I care to think about drawing and getting it right so you dont have to throw it in the scrap pile. 

You can cut some intricate stuff if you spend enough time drawing on cad.  Tgere are people who will draw objects for you for a reasonable price. I had a detailed badge I needed to cut and did not have the time to draw it from scratch. I sent a photo of what I needed and got a almost cut ready file for like 40 bucks. Money well spent. Ill attach the picture of the final project. 

Its not that hard, just time consuming. 

20191121 140148

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2019-11-21 20:33:18  
Posted by: @davec107

Rick, you will have to learn to draw on a cad program. There are ways to scan an image, but they always need clean up in a cad program. One you get a drawing you have to convert it to a dxf file. Then you need to convert it into a gcode and tell it to cut female tool paths for holes and male tool path for perimeter, lead ins and such. The gcode is what the tables uses to cut objects. 

The drawing is the hardest part. Ive got 1000s of drawings and more time than I care to think about drawing and getting it right so you dont have to throw it in the scrap pile. 

You can cut some intricate stuff if you spend enough time drawing on cad.  Tgere are people who will draw objects for you for a reasonable price. I had a detailed badge I needed to cut and did not have the time to draw it from scratch. I sent a photo of what I needed and got a almost cut ready file for like 40 bucks. Money well spent. Ill attach the picture of the final project. 

Its not that hard, just time consuming. 

20191121 140148

Yeah, I tried Google translate and it couldn't help me on that. 😉 🤣 

Looks like I'll be using my hand held a little longer.  😯 

That badge is amazing!

ReplyQuote
Davec107
( @davec107 )
2019-11-21 21:30:20  

@pluric

Lol, yeah a lot going on..nothing's wrong hand cutting. Ive done tons of that.  

Ok back to targets. Made this up today. 

20191121 182537

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2019-11-21 23:14:42  
Posted by: @davec107

@pluric

Lol, yeah a lot going on..nothing's wrong hand cutting. Ive done tons of that.  

Ok back to targets. Made this up today. 

20191121 182537

What gauge is the metal on the frog? Hard to tell but it looks like a .30 caliber would be having frog legs for dinner.

Nice design. I could never hand cut with that kind of detail.

ReplyQuote
Davec107
( @davec107 )
2019-11-21 23:37:18  

Lol, for sure .30  and its frog legs. Its 12 ga. Only made for 12fpe and under,  special request needed it light weight so it would spin with wimpy pew pew..

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2019-11-23 18:18:31  
Posted by: @pluric

My first try at a remote control reset knock down target. The plan is to make two of these for a speed challenge event. Did 15 knockdowns intentionally so there would be a mandatory magazine change and the 8 shot magazine guns would have more level playing field. The last shot would be for the final knock down to determine who got there first.

Ordered some 12v linear actuators from ebay. Didn't have a clue how much travel I would need so I started with 8 inches. Turns out for this project 4 inches is fine. I know there's a dirty joke in there somewhere. 😜  Anyway, found a relatively high speed (50mm a second) actuator and made this. I wish I could upload a video. It takes three seconds to reset, another three to lower the reset bar. I walked out about 75 yards and the remote still triggered the actuator so that should be plenty. I will add the front armor later when the second one is done. 

Power
Power a
Power c
Power d

I finally got around to finishing the stop target for this event. So there are two 15 count circle targets that side by side shooters race to shoot as fast as possible. It's usually about 40-50 yards out. Then you have to shoot the stop target to see who finishes first. They are designed to fall at an angle so one will land on top of the other. The trick is the stop target is 10-15 yards out and hard to find if you have your scope set for 50 yards. You lose time to adjust for it or you just shoot at the blur.

I made this wireless reset stop target to go with it.

ReplyQuote
Davec107
( @davec107 )
2019-11-24 11:10:14  

That works slick, another fine job👍you just keep setting the bar higher for new target designs. I cant wait to knock the paint off of those in June...or attempt to chip paint...

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-05 23:13:40  

Fun afternoon project. I'd found these plastic target bottles on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pack-Bottle-Shooting-Targets-Reusable-Resetting-Reactive-Range-Practice-Target/264540972063?hash=item3d97dee41f:g:1KwAAOSw~MZd1seC

They come with hanging strings and a storage bag. I pictured the strings getting shot up fast so I decided to use chains. As long as I was going to make it a project I took some bed frame angle iron and made a take down frame for it. I was shocked to find out I couldn't drill it in the deep V part. Wrecked several bits and thought I'm getting the plasma cutter involved. I'd even run to Home Depot and bought the $10 a bit super last 15 times longer wonder bit. Fried before making it halfway through the first hole. 😠 

Took 1/4 inch eyelets and spread them open in a vice. Put the chain link in and pressed it closed using the vice.

Bottle d

The bottom of the bottle has a larger hole so using an extension I could get the nut on the eyelet bolt inside the bottle. The smaller bottles had too small of a neck to get it all the way. It will still work fine.

bottle c

When hit they swing and make the next shot harder. I know the bottles will get shot up but I think they will last for a while. Easy change out when destroyed.

Bottle b

If someone wants the "easy button" a set of these brackets and some old studs will make a quick stand.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=saw%20horse%20brackets

Even pre-cut threaded pipe or PVC could be make a quick stand too. Better than picking up bottles after one shot.

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4