DIY targets  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

pluric
(@pluric)
2018-02-25 20:57:07  

I'm always messing around making targets for air guns. So many I've' forgotten where I've put them and what I've made. They turn up in a storage garage all the time. This weekend I was making 100 yard targets and some metal hanging balls for closer range. Pretty simple bend a U frame and weld some  nuts to the ends to hold the target bar.

304d

They fold flat for transport.

304a

I like electrical boxes to use for a rubber landscape mulch holder. I cut a hole a little smaller than a standard size paper.

304b

When the box is filled with mulch I put a piece of cardboard on top and the target page on top of that. Close the lid and it's held firmly in place. When it's shot up I replace the cardboard and shoot it up again.

304e

304f

Some boxes have their own lock, others I just add a hasp.

304c

Gromit, Android, Mr.Universe and 1 people thanked
Nate
 Nate
(@nate)
2019-04-14 22:28:26  

Nice work! I especially liked the ritz crackers idea. I'm doing research now and mulling over options. I've been mulling over some sort of IDPA-ish steel target for dust devils (probably without the head), and  maybe a center clanger so you can tell from sound if you're in the high scoring part.

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-06-18 12:20:17  

This year the Utah R.M.A.C. (Rocky Mountain Airgun Challenge) had a first place prize of $10,000 for the 100 yard event. They have announced it will be $20,000 for 2020. Worth practicing for so I made a metal quadrant circle target the same size as the 100 yard paper target. Made a large square one too.

100 yard

100 yard a

After participating I have a few target modifications I want to suggest for the event. I made a lot of the targets they use so it helped to see the course and get an idea of the layout. 

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
2019-06-18 18:41:05  

They look great, looks like you have been busy since RMAC. I thought you only made targets in the winter 😀

Dave...

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-06-19 11:23:04  
Posted by: Davec107

They look great, looks like you have been busy since RMAC. I thought you only made targets in the winter 😀

Dave...

Busted. 🤣  That was my intent but I wanted to try a couple ideas why they were fresh on my mind. I'll post some new combinations soon. What killed me was I ran into David Corder at RMAC who makes the quadrant targets for AoA. Just the nicest guy. He gave me direction to the pipe material and a carbide shop saw he recommends. So I bought the metal and saw and it's a game changer! I asked if he had any patents or objection to me making similar quadrants and he was totally cool with me making whatever. I think he took it over from Steelplinkers. 

With summer finally here the water is calling so I do plan on cutting back. The shop did say they were out of Know Your Limit targets and after seeing what three days of pellet barrage did to the event targets I may have to bring them home to the "Target Hospital" and perform some reconstructive surgery. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
2019-06-19 17:00:47  

Makita 12 inch carbide chop saw. It is night and day difference in speed and cut quality over an abrasive chop saw. They are pricey, but quality is soooo much better. If you get good quality blades they can be resharpened and missing teeth replaced. Cuts just have a slight bur on one edge and usually no need to run a bit thru the inside of tube as it comes out clean..

Dave

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-06-19 18:04:12  

Well that isn't embarrassing at all. 😨 I didn't even look at the forum name and put together that it was you responding to my post. I swear I get more brain dead everyday. Let me publicly thank you again for your advice and kind permission to plagiarize your work.

Rick  

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
2019-06-20 17:44:36  

Lol, hey Rick if your bringing targets in for hospital work, please do not repair that fariswheel of humiliation/despair. It kicked my rear at RMAC

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-06-20 18:03:31  
Posted by: Davec107

Lol, hey Rick if your bringing targets in for hospital work, please do not repair that fariswheel of humiliation/despair. It kicked my rear at RMAC

I had a AoA shooter come up to me the first day and rave how fun it was and how much he liked it. The next day he teasingly cursed me for making it. It can humble a shooter. I'm thinking of making one more to keep for practice. My son has the timing down great and rocks it. I'm just throwing lead out there with my fingers crossed. 🤒 

ReplyQuote
Frank in Fairfield
(@frank-in-fairfield)
2019-06-20 19:48:24  

I had one of the original Steelplinkers that you drove into the ground.

Didn’t like it and ask Dave C for a base.

I also have a two paddle swinger.

I tried to put them together.

I used JB Weld epoxy to hold on the Yellow one.

I guess I will either have to use the regular JB Weld or have it welded on...

Stay safe and free..

ReplyQuote
Davec107
(@davec107)
2019-06-20 20:50:10  

Hey Frank, bring it with you to Yolo this weekend and I'll take it home and weld it and return it next match if you want..

Dave

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-06-20 23:35:31  
Posted by: Frank in Fairfield

I had one of the original Steelplinkers that you drove into the ground.

Didn’t like it and ask Dave C for a base.

I also have a two paddle swinger.

I tried to put them together.

I used JB Weld epoxy to hold on the Yellow one.

I guess I will either have to use the regular JB Weld or have it welded on...

I can't imagine JB weld working for holding a target. I'd go for the weld. Nice shooting on the 3 way spinner. I was just getting ready to weld one up.

Target 1

The other ones are going to be a combo hanger. At the last event you got  a point for hitting a hanging silhouette. I thought it might be fun to put a smaller spinner inside it and give more points for hitting it. The extra challenge being they are timed events so you have to decide if it's worth spending it taking the care to get it in the sights or just go for the large option. Also on the larger silhouettes I'll try to put them in the smallest area so if you do miss the spinner you may miss the whole target.

ReplyQuote
Frank in Fairfield
(@frank-in-fairfield)
2019-06-21 07:33:28  

I think I will stop by the muffler shop and ask a favor....

Stay safe and free..

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-07-02 12:43:37  

Trying a few ideas to pitch for next years RMAC event. I thought adding a spinner inside the hanging target and giving it a bonus point value would be a fun upgrade. They are timed events so you are already pressed to find the hangers at different distances then have to decide is it worth the time to focus on the mini spinner? Also it could give shooters who fell behind hope of getting "back in the game" if they could hit the extra points option. The quadrant was just something I wanted to make in a smaller version. Quadrants are pretty labor intensive.

swinger c

swinger b

swinger a

The quadrant is made to breakdown so I added a couple holders to my target stand and can use it on that as well.

swinger

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-07-18 12:25:07  

One of the Texas Star spinning targets I made went to the shooting event without armor. I think people were using the leg as a sighter. 😮  

Carnage

Carnage a

Told them I'd do a little warranty work on it and replaced the stand and put 3/16 flat plat on the legs. I can't bitch about the .30 guns being used because I was shooting one as well. 😳 

All happy and ready to take on another event.

Carnage b

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-08-06 13:45:26  

My first try at a remote control reset knock down target. The plan is to make two of these for a speed challenge event. Did 15 knockdowns intentionally so there would be a mandatory magazine change and the 8 shot magazine guns would have more level playing field. The last shot would be for the final knock down to determine who got there first.

Ordered some 12v linear actuators from ebay. Didn't have a clue how much travel I would need so I started with 8 inches. Turns out for this project 4 inches is fine. I know there's a dirty joke in there somewhere. 😜  Anyway, found a relatively high speed (50mm a second) actuator and made this. I wish I could upload a video. It takes three seconds to reset, another three to lower the reset bar. I walked out about 75 yards and the remote still triggered the actuator so that should be plenty. I will add the front armor later when the second one is done. 

Power

Power a

Power c

Power d

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
fwwbronco
(@fwwbronco)
2019-08-15 11:17:19  

@pluric great idea with the cracker holder

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
Airgun-Channel
(@air-gun-channel)
2019-08-15 12:44:31  

Holy crap!!! That's awesome! -Nate

Find me anytime at http://www.Air-Gun-Channel.com

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-09-05 11:36:26  

Did more of a "re-purpose" on this set up. Cleaning out a clients garage and they had several old angle iron bed frames and a metal frame For Sale sign that I thought would be better to re use than take to the dump.

The cut angle became the base.

Tar a

The For Sale frame stands on it.

Tar

Used the old metal insert as the template to cut cardboard to fit inside it. Couple pinch clamps and I can now put target paper on it.

Tar b

I think I'll add a Know Your Limit set up like this in the lower space. Just make it more versatile. 

Tar g

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-09-05 11:48:39  

Another re use item. A local reclamation center had a brand new metal First Aid box for $5. I'd been looking for a larger metal box with a lid to make into a 25 meter target mulch box. This was perfect. It will hold the full size target. Just cut the lid for the target opening and filled it with mulch. I left the shelves to help hold mulch. Plus it was easier than taking them out.

Tar e

Tar f

Tar d

Tar c

TomR_here thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-09-07 22:13:37  

I did put a Know Your limit and rat hanger on the target frame. Had the perfect space for it.

Tar

Tar a

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-09-07 22:19:33  

An employee at Utah Airguns was showing me his video of shooting 400 yards with a modified AirForce Texan. It was shooting 257 slugs. I told him I'd make him a long distance practice quadrant. Went with 10 inch square.

Tar b

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-09-25 17:44:55  

I thought this would be a good combination for one of the courses at the competition. Make it a off hand round. The first four silhouettes would be maybe 25-30 yards out, then 40-60 yards on the bigger hangers. I did put the bonus small spinners on the distance ones to try for extra points.

Target

target a

Target b

ReplyQuote
caninesinaction
(@caninesinaction)
2019-09-25 18:36:37  

@pluric

As Nate put it: AWSOME !   😆 

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-10-08 10:46:34  

I was out shooting this weekend and it was slim pickings on live targets. I had some silhouettes laying around from when I was practicing with my plasma cutter. Got looking at them and thought I'd turn them into break down travel targets that I could keep in a toolbox on the UTV. Pot Guts, ground squirrels, are a favorite to shoot in early and late spring.

So I spring-loaded them and put a mount that 3/8 rod could slide through. That way I can break it down and have front and rear support so impact doesn't flip it back and the return doesn't flip it forward.

Tar

Tar a

Tar b

Tested it out off hand at 25 yards. Just what I wanted. 😊 

Tar e

I then had some small bird ones. Starling and sparrow size. This is what I did with those. Everything slides together for a complete break-down.

Tar c

Tar d

Tar f

I'll make a few more options and keep them on the UTV so don't get skunked on the shooting next time. 😎 

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-10-10 11:03:28  

Decided to add a few more target options to my UTV portable break down target set. Here is what I have so far. I made all the support legs the same length so everything can interchange.

Tar g

The bird support had some wiggle in it so I put wing-nut bolts to be able to snug it up.

Tar h

Tar i

It all breaks down and fits into a toolbox.

Tar j

Room for a few more options but I don't know that I would need much more for an afternoon of playing around.

ReplyQuote
blackswordshinobi
(@blackswordshinobi)
2019-11-06 23:13:27  

@pluric

wow that some skill making target I make target not type of skill level iam blown a way  dude  your DIY target are the bomb  I like them 

billy crepeau

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-11-07 11:02:33  
Posted by: @blackswordshinobi

@pluric

wow that some skill making target I make target not type of skill level iam blown a way  dude  your DIY target are the bomb  I like them 

Thank you! I just want to be clear many of my silhouettes are purchased. I just then use them for what I'm wanting to make. Many vendors will not put bases on them if you request them not to. I just cut them off if needed. I've started to play with a plasma cutter. Off hand nothing custom. Here are a couple links if anyone wants to check out some sources.

https://magnumtarget.com/product-category/knock-overs/

http://www.thetargetguy.com/

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
2019-11-07 18:16:03  

What is your current level of proficiency cutting with plasma?

Meat thermometer says this sausage was done in the 4th degree... tasted fine, ozone smell excluded.

View post on imgur.com

There you have it, the world according to John.

ReplyQuote
blackswordshinobi
(@blackswordshinobi)
2019-11-07 18:16:56  
Posted by: @pluric
Posted by: @blackswordshinobi

@pluric

Thank you! I just want to be clear many of my silhouettes are purchased. I just then use them for what I'm wanting to make. Many vendors will not put bases on them if you request them not to. I just cut them off if needed. I've started to play with a plasma cutter. Off hand nothing custom. Here are a couple links if anyone wants to check out some sources.

https://magnumtarget.com/product-category/knock-overs/

http://www.thetargetguy.com/

@pluric ;

will not at this time I am give you a good comment  there awesome  but maybe one day I will buy one but not at this time I get know you first iam still new here I just install DonnyFl  threated front plate so I can put on it suppressor 

billy crepeau

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2019-11-10 20:57:08  
Posted by: @gratewhitehuntr

What is your current level of proficiency cutting with plasma?

Meat thermometer says this sausage was done in the 4th degree... tasted fine, ozone smell excluded.

View post on imgur.com

Speaking of, I've always wanted a Shooting Gallery style ducks going in a circle. So just this week I started on making one. First I needed ducks so out came the plasma cutter.

Ducks c

Made the wheel for them to drop back on.

Ducks d

When hit they will drop back flat.

Ducks f

As it rotates the ballast weight will stand it up as it comes around, I hope. 😉 

Ducks g

Of course yellow would be the only acceptable duck color. 😀 

Ducks e

I'm going to make this 12v DC powered to be portable. Motor should be in next week. I'll put a remote start/stop switch on it. I plan to have a half circle protection plate in front so all you will see is the duck. That's the plan in my head anyway. Shootin' from the hip on this one.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2

Translate »

Please Login or Register