SDplinker
(@sdplinker)
2019-12-22 14:37:05  

What would you pay?

https://777auctions.hibid.com/lot/60007419/clausing-drill-press

Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
2019-12-22 14:53:27  

$750 was my 1st inclination, Googling shows a bunch priced higher. IDK, are you trying to lowball or really want it?

ReplyQuote
SDplinker
(@sdplinker)
2019-12-22 15:37:41  

@gratewhitehuntr

It’s an auction so it will go for what it goes for.  Just wondering what repairs or parts would make it a no-go.  I assume for $600 or less based on research it’s prbably worth it no matter what.  

several examples on eBay for multiple thousands.  I’m going to assume those are “send me an offer” priced.  

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
2019-12-22 16:57:48  

I didn't read up, how common is the spindle taper?

What I'd really like to pay, maybe $350-ish, but machine tools are high dollar around here.

Why not a legit Bridgeport?

ReplyQuote
SDplinker
(@sdplinker)
2019-12-22 17:19:17  

Just space and never having used a mill.  Thought it would be a good tool even if it was a glorified drill press 

ReplyQuote
chrisT
(@christ)
2019-12-27 09:50:42  

yep a drill press with an x  & y axis table.  very  very lite milling is possible with that but the spindle bearings are not really meant for it.  Drill presses, of late, have gotten wickedly expensive new and used. I can get used  BP clone vertical mills for less than some want for a good drill press .   About the only things that can go south are the spindle feed gearing ( which is basically and rack and pinon affair) and of course the bearings. The return clock spring for the feed system can generally be found or adapted from something else. Just is not that much in there. If it is set up for 3 phase - a motor swap to single phase is the cheapest route either 120v or 220v. running in reverse is really not an option as you could unscrew the chuck in some units other use a press fit taper. Most expensive item on that whole assembly is the drill chuck if is of any quality. 

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
2019-12-27 14:29:43  

Add in, depending on grade/availability those spindle bearing might set you back enough to have upgraded to a real mill in the 1st place.

It's up to $500 now, kinda excited to see how close my guess was!

Be advised that milling on a drill press is NOT recommended due to spindle features such as.  Non-drawbar, shaft made with male taper, drill chuck will fly right off when side loaded, run-out on drill chucks is unfavorably high. FLY OFF IN YOUR FACE.

If you want super accurate hole drilling, look for an old "Jig Borer" that's got tooling with it. I'm not saying the Clausing is bad, if you must have for whatever reason.

Rong-Fu $1000 POS and you'll find out why.

Ex condition Spanish oversized Bridgy clone $1850 vari-speed and all!

Used J-Head maybe $1500? M-heads are pretty small (Morse #2 taper) , and there are new production around $2-3K-ish.

You are looking near the port yes? Should be gobs of machines around either. (50 miles)

ReplyQuote