Notifications
Clear all

Where to find the latest AAFTA Handbook (Rules)?  

RSS

Bob D.
(@bob-d)
February 28, 2020 19:57:54  

I see that AAFTA has a new website, www.aafta.org

But I can't find the current rule book on this site.  It used to be found under "Resources."

From the email distributed to the clubs after the business meeting in Baton Rouge in October, it was noted there are a few rules changes.  It would be nice to see these changes in a new handbook, that hasn't been updated since 2017.  Not complaining here, but would just like to find the 2020 handbook (rules).

Bob D.
(@bob-d)
February 28, 2020 22:01:43  

Ahem, I have a copy of the Dec. 22, 2018 version of the AAFTA Handbook, which is basically a reprint of the 2017 Handbook.

Regardless, the 2018 handbook is now out of date, since the AAFTA BoG announced changes to the rules at the Oct. 5, 2019 National Meeting in Baton Rouge.

From the Oct. 22, 2019 BoG email summarizing the minutes of the meeting, the following RULES CHANGES were announced

• The BOG will be adding a chronograph requirement to the GP rules for the 2020 season.  This will require the host club to chronograph all shooters during the competition.
  • The BOG will be adding an allowance for a pad placed between the foot and butt on kneeling lanes. 
  • A GP rule will be added requiring the use of an air horn or whistle to signal hot and cold lines during matches. 

It is these changes I am hoping to find in a "2020" Handbook.  Where is it?

-------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, the minutes noted several ideas to be examined (not rules or guidelines as of yet).  I have included them below, lest someone protest that I have not included everything in the minutes...  None of these are definitive rules changes, and unless any of them have been declared an official rules change since, I don't consider these related to my request for a new handbook.   So, let's not discuss them, please.

• With regards to chronograph usage, the BOG is also looking into the 2% allowance for chronograph testing.  Another email will be sent polling the clubs for their opinions on that matter.  (In late Oct.2019, Clubs were subsequently polled for opinions.)
  • The BOG is also exploring the addition of a rule regarding extra shots taken during a match.  We sent an email about this earlier in the year, but have still received some questions regarding what is acceptable and not acceptable.  
  • It has been asked that the BOG re-examine its stance on prizes and sponsorship funding at matches.  For those unaware, it was decided many years ago that monetary prizes would not be allowed at GP competitions.  Only physical prizes (guns, scopes, etc.) and gift cards have been allowed.  
  • Ron Carlson put forth a proposal to establish a committee to look into altering the AAFTA by-laws to change AAFTA from an organization comprised of member clubs to an individual member organization.
  • The BOG is also exploring the separation of the current handbook into three unique documents.  One detailing the AAFTA by-laws, one detailing the rules, and the other covering recommendations/guidelines/tips for clubs and match directors.
  • The BOG will be taking a look at the existing protest procedure and target malfunctions and disputed targets sections of the rules to determine if there is a better way to handle these situations.  

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Bob D.
(@bob-d)
March 3, 2020 16:13:06  

Crickets...  ☹️ 

800+ views and no one has a thought...

Sadly, I've never seen a community website so inactive.  Even the moderator deleted his post (between post #1 and #2)

Slower here than on the old AAFTA site forums.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
phepler
(@deadeye)
March 10, 2020 06:55:26  

Bob,

The BOG is finalizing the wording of rules and hope to have the updated 2020 rule book available in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Philip

ReplyQuote
Bob D.
(@bob-d)
June 8, 2020 21:38:24  

Still waiting to read the new rule book (three months later).  The new AAFTA page still shows the 2018 version.

I've written the BOG (twice) regarding an AAFTA website issue, without getting a response.  Is the light on at AAFTA?

ReplyQuote
MarineO6
(@marineo6)
June 9, 2020 07:06:10  

The chrony requirement could be a bit dicey...for example I use a LabRadar unit which may not read quite the same as whatever is used at the match. 

They’ll blame delays on the shamdemic, everyone else seems to.

ReplyQuote
Cloud9AG
(@cloud9ag)
June 9, 2020 09:48:31  

Bob,

In the absence of a new rule book which is the official communication to us the club directors, we should follow the 2018 rules as published.  The new approved changes are not critical to correct any problems with our sport, but they are improvements. I don't see the urgency for getting new rules published when our sport runs very well.  Maybe those improvements get delayed for a while until the new rules are published.  Until then, we should follow the 2018 rules.

ReplyQuote