Notifications
Clear all

Range marking a scope wheel for HFT  

RSS

Dave Cole
(@airgunsoftulsa)
2020-03-07 21:25:41  

Wanted to share a video on how I go about range marking a scope wheel for HFT.

Intended for someone wanting to start out but not sure of the how’s and why’s. i know many of the pros have computer programs which will spit out a tape with all the data pre-printed. This is for those of us who prefer good old fashion “elbow grease”. 
Besides, the last tape I tried to print off wasn’t as accurate....

Bob D.
(@bob-d)
2020-03-20 12:13:41  

Dave, you are on the right track.  I have played with the computer ballistic programs for years, and they are useless without fudging this parameter or that (pellet weight, pellet BC, velocities, guestimating scope heights, etc).  And after all the mashing of variables, I concluded that nothing works better than spending time and effort to do it your "old fashioned" way.

Through the years, I have purchased 4 (tripod mounted) chronographs, and a good friend has purchased 3, combining resources to find two chronographs that are calibrated the same... the sole objective being to determine real-world ballistic coefficients of pellets.  And that's just one variable to plug into a program to predict trajectories, assuming the program is accurate, of course.

Alas, I've found nothing works better that what your video shows.  Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Dave Cole
(@airgunsoftulsa)
2020-03-24 12:06:44  

Thank you for the kind words. HFT is a fast growing segment of airgun disciplines that requires more that just pointing the gun.

I'm hoping to help folks considering HFT as well as those who are currently shooting HFT and may be struggling in understanding the ranging of their targets by demonstrating the how's and the why's. 

Looking forward to shooting with the the Dallas area guys and gals soon. 

All the best. 

ReplyQuote