DCPA FT Match + Mat...

Notifications
Clear all

DCPA FT Match + Match Report

Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

Hi all!

Just a reminder about the May 30th DCPA FT match. 60 shots. Mostly full sized KZ's with some reducers so the match will be WFTF orientated. All AAFTA classes will be catered for. Covid restrictions require masks etc. But that may change by then. Match fee is $15 and $5 for juniors. Range opens at 8:30am and match starts at 10am. Hope to see you all there!

Paul  

Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

All quarantine, travel, social distancing, limit on the number of shooters and mask mandates that affected DCPA have been lifted!! So come out and shoot! 

Paul

gonzav thanked
ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

Hi all! The match is all set up and ready for Sunday. A 60 shot long course with mostly full sized KZ's and a few reducers. Smallest KZ is half inch. Sight in range opens at 8:30am with a brief shooters meeting before the match starts at 10am sharp. Bring air. Water will be provided. Hope to see everyone there! 

Paul

ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

Sundays match is going ahead! Looks like the rain will fall later in the afternoon. And besides, if we take this sport seriously one must shot in all weather... Including rain! Thanks

Paul 

ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

DCPA Memorial weekend match report.

They called for rain. And they were correct. And a bit chilly with temps around 48f (8c) Heavy rain for all of the match with an occasional left to right wind. Most I had to hold was about an inch to the left of the KZ.

First time I've shot this rifle/scope combo under match conditions in this much rain. I learned two things.

1. The March would fog up badly! Every two/three lanes I had to wipe the ocular dry as range finding was impossible! At first I thought it was rain getting on there but it was in fact the humidity that was causing the issue. So keep a lint free cloth in a water tight bag handy.

2. The Thomas does not care about rain! It shot great with not a bother. I deliberately put wet pellets in the barrel to see it there was any negative effects to accuracy.... Nope. Rifle was dead on!

Including myself, six of us braved the elements. Unfortunately when Tom Wade was sighting in he noticed his rifle was way off and sadly could not shoot the match. Considering he drove all the way from Long Island, I felt bad for him. But the fact he showed up was awesome! Thank you brother! And John Eroh drove the four hours from Massachusetts and because of scope fog issues did not finish the match.

This was a 60 shot match. 10 lanes with 3 targets per lane and each target shot twice. Only 8 targets were under 40 yards so a pretty long course! The standing lane is famous on this course for its horrible downward angle but I think a few of us cleaned it. And the kneelers were out there! A 40y, 45y and a 35y.

Although it was a miserable day, it was a great way to spend it with some awesome friends! After we dried off we had lunch and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again June 20th!

Scores :
Brian VanLiew Open PCP 55/60
Leo Gonzales WFTF Piston 46
Nathan Thomas WFTF Piston 38
Paul Cray WFTF PCP 58
Tom Wade DNF
John Eroh DNF

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/l8s2SsAAikll

wx4p thanked
ReplyQuote
MattJP
(@mattjp)

@pcray Wow, that is incredibly hard core, guys. Big kudos to you all for surviving the shoot, and congratulations on some truly good scores - in any conditions. Amazing.

It reminds me I have to take my rig out into a downpour and see again how it does 😜 

Paul Cray thanked
ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

@mattjpThanks Matt! I think everyone should shoot their rig in heavy rain to find out how it does and what you may have to change or look in to. Thanks

Paul 

ReplyQuote
gonzav
(@gonzav)

Things I learned shooting in heavy rain.

1. Get good rain gear-rain coat and rain pants. Any seat you use will get wet.
  2. Hands will get wet. Pellets will get wet as well but does not alter the trajectory.
  3. As for springers, water getting in the loading port does not matter since it does not get into the compression chamber.
  4. A sunshade and eye cup for a scope helps but moisture still builds up on the lenses.
  5. Bring paper towels to remove moisture and water droplets from the ocular and objective lenses.
  6. A pop up tent to keep score cards and other gear dry is a great thing to have.

Paul Cray thanked
ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

@gonzav Agree on the rain gear...Although I found out my shooting pants kept me dry so I need a good poncho! 

It was very interesting how much rain got on the objective lens even with a sunshade and lens cap. 

On the advice of a friend I'm going to try this stuff to combat fog.....

81T30uriqLL. AC SX522

I bet your laminate stock held up great!?

Can you imagine our score cards without that tent! LOL

Thanks for your input Leo.

Paul

ReplyQuote
gonzav
(@gonzav)

The laminate stock was fine. I had waxed the inletting.

Look forward to your next match on the 20th.

Paul Cray thanked
ReplyQuote
Jeff P
(@pad617)

As for fogging,

A couple of us tried shaving cream and some store bought anti-fog coating at one match a few years ago.  Surprisingly, the shave cream worked fairly well, better that the other stuff.

Jeff P

Paul Cray thanked
ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

@pad617 Hi Jeff! Great to hear from you! Can you explain what you did with the shaving cream exactly? Sounds interesting!

Paul

ReplyQuote
Jeff P
(@pad617)

@pcray Hi Paul.  I think we just put a little on the both lenses wiped it in with a clean soft cloth until it was clear.

Jeff P

Paul Cray thanked
ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

@pad617 That is very interesting! Thanks for the tip!

Paul

ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
Topic starter  

@pad617 That is very interesting! Thanks for the tip!

Paul

ReplyQuote