Notifications

Convince a gun club to do FT matches  

RSS

gonzav
( @gonzav )
2019-12-18 14:03:46  

Trying to convince a gun club to do airgun field target matches. The problem is that they have a strict “no blue sky” (no pointing the muzzle skyward) policy at their rifle and pistol ranges. I am planning on joining the club but will face some opposition from firearm shooters. What information would you tell them to alleviate their safety concerns? I want to create a wooded course that 3D archers or shotgun sporting clay shooters can use as well. One concern would be the maximum distance a 20 FPE rifle can travel. Any suggestions?
Leo

Rochester Field Target
( @rochesterfieldtarget )
2019-12-18 14:33:54  

RBGC has the same policy. However, when I voiced a concern about this as piston shooters can't get around this, they smiled and flat out said we're not concerned about air rifles (toy guns in their eyes).

Be careful. My guess is that the shotgun people will start using it and declare it as "theirs" and then you lose your place to shoot. I know you're trying to give yourself the best shot at a location for field target, but the other people just aren't that nice and will take it if they can.

ReplyQuote
gonzav
( @gonzav )
2019-12-18 15:34:07  

@rochesterfieldtarget

Sean,

Thanks. Got it. The shotgun event director was the one who suggested using the club property next to their trap & skeet facility for air gun matches. They want to do sporting clays but it is in the planning stages. They have 131 wooded acres. He warned me of the potential difficulties.

Leo

ReplyQuote
TerryVanpool
( @tvanpool )
2019-12-19 11:21:47  

We use the Archery 3D course for our FT matches and it has Sporting Clays and Skeet fields adjacent to it. Work up a ballistics chart to show the club that the max range of a <20 ft. lb. air rifle is about the same as a shotgun. Maybe if they understand airguns better they may be more friendly to your request. They would be likely to listen more if you were an active member. 

ReplyQuote
Knobs
( @knobs )
2019-12-20 09:51:31  

Though inconvenient, spring guns can be handled in a way that they can be loaded without pointing the muzzle skyward. I had to learn how to do it in order to use the indoor NRA range in Virginia.

a 12 FPE 8.4 grain pellet can travel 550 yards at some of the higher BC's I get out of my rifles (.029-.030).  I don't know about 20 FPE but it's easy to get out of chairgun.

Some jurisdictions also require that any projectile fired doesn't leave the property. If that's the law at your club, it'll pronbably be easier to comply.

Knobs

ReplyQuote
gonzav
( @gonzav )
2019-12-20 16:28:15  

Knobs,

Thanks for the info. According to the Chair Gun app, max range for 20 FPE .177 10.3 grain JSB Exact Heavy domed pellet is 579 yards at 27 degrees. 0.55 FPE (130 fps) terminal energy.

I also found this article on the NRA page. 

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2019/11/7/gun-safety-ammunition-maximum-range/

1,588 yards max range for a standard velocity 22 long rifle rimfire (104 foot pounds) at 30 degree angle from horizontal.

I think I can also use that as a comparison to a  20 foot pound air rifle.

Regards,

Leo

ReplyQuote
Pistoleer
( @pistoleer )
2019-12-28 00:23:59  

If it would help, I run the FT, Airgun Silhouette, and 10 meter matches at our Concord, Ca range. We are sharing the Action Pistol range currently, but will be moving to a larger Multipurpose range in 2020, within the same grounds.

We have a generally no blue sky policy, but the air gunners and bow people have an exception due to the ballistic properties of the projectiles being used.

If your club would like to discuss, I can make myself available via phone or address questions via email.

I hold a CRSO and am a NRA and Cal Hunter Safety Instructor as well, which may help add credence to the conversation?

Email- NRAInstructor @ Outlook.com

gonzav thanked
ReplyQuote
gonzav
( @gonzav )
2020-02-10 05:26:00  

Update: The gun club approved the air gun field target events but they have not approved the wooded location as proposed. This year they will have the field target matches on a police gun range 30 yards wide and 110 yards long. It's a start anyways. They want to get kids interested in the shooting sports and they think this is a good starting point for them.

ReplyQuote