Notifications
Clear all

Co-vid 19 Plan for AAFTA 2020 National FT Championships  

RSS

Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
June 28, 2020 23:52:29  

I’m sure some of you are wondering if we will be hosting the AAFTA National Championships this year.  We still plan to move forward with hosting the event as long as the state of California or Oregon doesn’t totally shut down again.

The plan is to set up another range if more than 50 plans to attend, 50 is the limit allowed on one range at a time under the current rules at the Morro Bay location.

I’ve heard from some folks that they are planning to come for sure if we can possibly host it.  And some have said they will wait until very close to the event to decide based on how the virus is doing at the time.

As much as that makes it hard for my planning and budgeting, I understand completely.  I don’t want the pain of having to return match fees either.  Speaking of which the plan would be to only return 90% of the match fee, allowing for the credit card charges and accounting/handling costs.

So, that means we should set up two full courses just in case a lot of folks are last minute attendees and we end up with more than 50. We could also split the groups into morning and afternoon sessions.  Those not shooting or in the camping area, would have to clear out until their session.  You would shoot morning one day and afternoon the next.  Not great if the wind is calmer on one afternoon than the other, but squading can help with that issue.  That part is still undecided.

The meals plan if allowed might be staggered, so that only a few are allowed in the dining room/kitchen area at a time.  This might also work well for the morning and afternoon session’s idea, because the kitchen is on another range 1/2 mile away.  Or we might have to just leave out the meals and banquet if we can’t meet safety standards at the time.

I’ll look into the possibility of doing the auction online as well as at the site, so those that want to can bid from anywhere, sitting in their car at the event, or in their man cave at home.  That’s just an idea at this point.

We have to also consider the possibility that California has a blow up of covid cases and they shut down again this fall before the event.

If that happens and Southern Oregon is still open, which it has a high chance of being open, since we have a very low number of cases now, then I would move the event to my home ranch course where we are hosting the Oregon St Championships July 17th – 19th 2020, and use the Corp ranch Oak Alley Courses for the second range if more than 50 were attending.  That was the original plan, but we moved it to Morro Bay, CA in the hopes of making it easier for more to attend.

I would suggest that potential attendees form groups of two to four of your friends that you are already exposing yourself to, and rent an RV that sleeps the group, and drive to the event and stay in the RV or split up your group with some staying in a hotel when you arrive.  There is quite a bit of parking for RVs at the site and some have water and power hook ups.  That way you don’t have to risk flying or cancel and re-book flights if the venue does have to change at the last minute.

Since there are many healthy folks walking around with the virus who don’t even know it, masks are highly recommended even though we will be trying hard to enforce the 6’ distancing rule.  But let’s face it, some folks don’t even believe it’s a problem and aren’t going to even try to stay 6’ away from others.  I will have our range officers enforcing this policy and require anyone not social distancing to start wearing a mask if for only the safety of others around them…. Or leave the event.

Masks are way more effective in keeping you from spreading it to someone else than protecting you from others.  So, if you plan to attend please be considerate of others, especially our older more vulnerable members.  You could be part of the 30% who get it and never know they had it or that they were infecting others without knowing it.  I’ll have some comfortable cotton, easy to put on and off masks available for all attending.

Hand sanitizing stations will also be all around.

Please let me know by email if you are even considering attending.

wayne@airgunoregon.com

Thanks and Blessings,

Wayne Burns,

Match Director,

AAFTA 2020 National Field Target Championships

Johninma
(@johninma)
June 29, 2020 09:54:13  

I would like to go. You need to decide on the location and format before I commit.

As an aside I'm planning a GP in New England(one day in Massachusetts, the next in Connecticut). It's going to be in late September/early October. Having you guy's finalize things would certainly help with me picking my weekend. 

John Eroh 

ReplyQuote
dmw6455
(@dmw6455)
June 29, 2020 11:19:45  

Just a thought.  I live close to Morro Bay or Oregon, so I plan to go either way.  Maybe at this point we should just have a Western States GP instead and get the BOG to agree to put off Morro Bay having a Nationals event to 2021.  That may give another club not affected by the Covid rules to put on the Nationals this year.  As it currently stands, many shooters traveling a long ways will not commit.  By not having commitments you will not have the financial feasibility to run the event.  My .02 cents.

Dana Wyse

ReplyQuote
thomasair
(@thomasair)
Member of Trade
June 29, 2020 11:34:26  

I agree that the ambiguity of the final location is going to prevent most travelers from making any commitment.  

Mike 

ReplyQuote
thomasair
(@thomasair)
Member of Trade
June 29, 2020 11:50:38  

I posted this on the original Nationals thread and am just copying it over here. 

Since you need 2 courses anyway...why not just put each course on a separate range to begin with?  There would be no need for morning and afternoon sessions and you would be set up for any people over 50 right from the start. Seems a lot better than having to scramble at the last minute trying to set up a makeshift course.  

Mike

ReplyQuote
phepler
(@deadeye)
June 29, 2020 13:21:38  

We rented a house near Morro Bay and bought airline tickets well before Covid hit. We have until 8/16 to get a full refund on one of our house rentals. I would like to attend in Nationals if it goes on as scheduled. But I need to know what is decided before 8/16. 

ReplyQuote
Paul Cray
(@pcray)
June 29, 2020 20:43:47  

Hi Wayne,

I plan on attending but coming from NY I would need as much notice as possible to book flights etc. When do you think you can definitely say that it is on? Thanks

Paul

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
June 29, 2020 22:59:50  
Posted by: @pcray

Hi Wayne,

I plan on attending but coming from NY I would need as much notice as possible to book flights etc. When do you think you can definitely say that it is on? Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul and all,

The match is ON FOR SURE, at Morro Bay, unless the State of California stops us with a shut down.  I can't control that. 

The only hedge I can think of is to move the event to private land in Southern Oregon at my ranch and the Corp Ranch, where we lease land for hosting matches and we have had Grand Prix matches many times over the last few years.  We can easily split up to 80 contestants on the two ranches very safely.

So, if WE want little or no chance of a last minute shut down in California, we COULD switch to Ashland, Oregon now.  I'm planning to try to be ready to make a last minute switch as well, for those who could or would be willing to switch at the last minute.... if it is needed.

I'm trying to be ready for all possibilities...

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
June 29, 2020 23:11:38  
Posted by: @thomasair

I posted this on the original Nationals thread and am just copying it over here. 

Since you need 2 courses anyway...why not just put each course on a separate range to begin with?  There would be no need for morning and afternoon sessions and you would be set up for any people over 50 right from the start. Seems a lot better than having to scramble at the last minute trying to set up a makeshift course.  

Mike

Yes Mike,

I agree we will go ahead and set up the two courses on two separate ranges, so we will be ready for as many last minute competitors that want to attend as possible.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
June 29, 2020 23:25:19  
Posted by: @dmw6455

Just a thought.  I live close to Morro Bay or Oregon, so I plan to go either way.  Maybe at this point we should just have a Western States GP instead and get the BOG to agree to put off Morro Bay having a Nationals event to 2021.  That may give another club not affected by the Covid rules to put on the Nationals this year.  As it currently stands, many shooters traveling a long ways will not commit.  By not having commitments you will not have the financial feasibility to run the event.  My .02 cents.

Dana Wyse

Dana and Mike,

I think we owe it to all the competitors to try everything we can do to still host an AAFTA National Championships this year.  I'm totally committed to going thru with the Morro Bay location on the dates planned Oct 16 to 18th.

BUT, How can I promise that California won't close down the whole damn state????

Like I said below, If you don't want to risk California shutting down at the last minute, then let's seriously talk about and/or take a poll to see if the most competitors want to risk a last minute change...  or move the event to private land at my ranch and the Corp Ranch, my ranch will already be setup with 54 target on 18 lanes for the rifle matches and 8 lanes for the pistol match Oregon St Gran Prix. We can remake that for half the group real quick, and take 2 or 3 days with a good group of helpers to get Oak Alley set up.  On private land the chance of not being able to host the event is very, very low.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
DonC
 DonC
(@donc)
July 6, 2020 08:10:17  

Today is July 6th. Just heard on the news that there is evidence that covid may be airborne. Droplets indoors remain floating in the air.  This is the first I've heard about this.

Anybody hear the same info?

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
July 6, 2020 21:40:02  
Posted by: @donc

Today is July 6th. Just heard on the news that there is evidence that covid may be airborne. Droplets indoors remain floating in the air.  This is the first I've heard about this.

Yes, Don I've heard that as well.  We would not have folks indoors at all. No indoor awards, auction, or meals....

If we end up cooking lunches and a dinner with the awards, groups of 6 at a time, would form a line (6' apart) outside at a table and food would be dished out from behind a plastic barrier from someone wearing a mask and gloves.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
July 6, 2020 22:49:46  
Posted by: @donc

Can't tell if trolling or... need better sources of info... yes, airborne, known fact since Dec-2019 (in China) and since Feb 2020 (anywhere people care to learn)

Don't worry about surfaces, unless you lick everything, or maybe sweeping a floor.

Droplets can be formed through normal breathing, when collapsed air sacs (alveoli) pop open (rales) upon inhaling and the eventual drying of exhaled droplets creates a sort of viral dust which stays airborne for extended periods. This is "aerosol" that you've heard of.

Masks are potentially effective at (let's just go for low hanging fruit eh?) at reducing innoculum (initial dose) which will (at the very least) give your immune system more time to gear up for a fight. They might be better than that, depending on quality and user skill (program compliance) Fauci has come right out and admitted, the only reason they told people masks weren't effective, was to prevent over-purchasing and a resulting shortage. Yes, they work.

Do not be concerned if wearing a mask causes the (insert pejorative) to jeer at you, it's what they do.

We've made our own (Olsen masks) from microfiber, wash and air dry them. Surgical masks can also be washed gently by hand, but beware the fragile elastic ear loops.

Thank you for pushing through Wayne, and be sure that I'm not trying to step on toes or stir the pot, just answering a question with best current info.

BTW, not gonna be able to make it... living in FL and all...

ReplyQuote