AAFTA Grand Prix & ...

Notifications
Clear all

AAFTA Grand Prix & Oregon St Field Target Championships July 16th-18th 2021 + Match Report

Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

2021 AAFTA Oregon St.- AAFTA Grand Prix
Air Rifle & Pistol Field Target Championships
4268 Hwy 99 South, Ashland, Oregon

Pistol Friday July 16th   Rifle July 17th & Sunday 18th

Registration Form

Name__________________________________________  Phone ___________________

Address__________________________________________________________________

City______________________________________  State________  Zip_______________ Email____________________________________________________________________

Air Rifle___________________________________________ Pellet & speed___________

Scope___________________________________________  Ft. Lbs.__________________

Rifle Divisions

Open PCP ____                     Open Piston ____                     Hunter PCP____

WFTF 12fpe PCP ____             WFTF 12fpe Piston____           Hunter Piston____

Air Pistol ____________________________Pellet & speed________________________

Scope___________________________________________  Ft. Lbs. _________________

Pistol Divisions-  All divisions have a 12fpe limit with a 12 power scope only 

Limited PCP ____  Hunter PCP ____    Hands only  ____  Basic Break Barrel Rifle _____

I ____________________________________ hereby release all the owners of the property and managers of the “Oregon St. Field Target Championships” field target event from any and all liability from any injuries, losses and any other liabilities that might occur before, during, or after the air gun matches at any Oak Haven BnB or the Corp Ranch Properties, Ashland, Or. 97520

Signed by competitor___________________________________________  Date_______________

Cost is $70 if paid by June 15th, 2021, or $80 if paid after. 

Use pay pal at wayne.burns@naturalyards.com, or make check payable to Wayne Burns, for Oregon State Field Target Championships. 

Online registration at https://airgunoregon.com

Send to:  Wayne Burns, PO Box 3180, Ashland, Oregon 97520
Match Director: Wayne Burns | Cell phone – Five 41-Five 31-6926  | email wayne@airgunoregon.com

Free Onsite camping available to the first 8 who register to compete

Places to stay near the Venue:

Campground near Emirgrant Lake
https://ashlandcreeksiderv.com/

Emirgrant Lake Campgound | 541-774-8183 | Emigrant Lake campground  is next door and has tent and full hookup site available, with flush toilets and hot shower available onsite.
http://jacksoncountyor.org/parks/Camping/Emigrant-Lake

Cedar Wood Inn
https://www.hotels.com/ho268255/cedarwood-inn-of-ashland-ashland-united-states-of-america/

Relax Inn
https://www.hotels.com/ho347679/relax-inn-at-ashland-ashland-united-states-of-america/

Flagship Inn
https://www.hotels.com/ho124407/flagship-inn-of-ashland-ashland-united-states-of-america/

Windsor Inn
https://www.hotels.com/ho493846/best-western-windsor-inn-ashland-united-states-of-america/

Holiday Inn Express
https://www.hotels.com/ho199448/holiday-inn-express-suites-ashland-ashland-united-states-of-america/

Campgrounds next door to the Venue:

Glenyan Private campground
https://goo.gl/maps/kJYvrSkNdvy9e36x9

SCHEDULE:
All AAFTA Rifle & Pistol rules and classes apply.  See at www.aafta.org  The “Western Free Style” class will also be allowed.   In any matters arising and not covered by these rules, the Match Director’s decision will be final.

Practice begins on the sight in line for registered competitors, on Friday between 7am and 7pm.  Equipment inspection and FPE testing will be done before you get to sight in and during the matches at testing lanes.

NO lasers or separate range finding devices are allowed, (except for the “Western Free Style” class/squads), and anyone seen with a range finder on the course at any time before or during any of the pistol or rifle matches will be disqualified.

PISTOL FIELD TARGET MATCH – July 16th   (IF AT LEAST 6 PRE REGISTER)

Safety Meeting will be at 2:45pm on Friday afternoon.  Match starts at 3:00Pm.  This will be a 42 shot course, 7 lanes, 3 targets per lane, with two shots per target.   Targets will be set from 10 to 35 yards and kill zones will be from ½” to 2”.  Timers will be given with the score cards.  Competitors are allowed 7 minutes to make 6 shots.  One lane will be standing only.  Note that this course is also open to “Basic Break Barrel rifles”, (if 3 shooters preregister), with 12 X or less scopes. 

Unlimited class pistols can shoot the RIFLE course and win separate awards if 3 shooters register.

RIFLE FIELD TARGET MATCH- DAY ONE – July 17th  

Competitors can start sight in practice for the Rifle Field Target match at 7am.  Safety Meeting begins at 9:45am.  The match starts at 10:00am.  This will be a 52 shot course, with 26 lanes, two targets per lane, and ONE shot per target.  Timers will be given with the score cards.  Competitors will be allowed 4 minutes to set up, make their 2 shots and get their equipment out of the shooting box.  Time starts when you enter the shooters box.  One lane will be standing and two will be kneeling.

SATURDAY FREE LUNCH STARTS at 1:00 pm
Bring your favorite low power offhand rig for the afternoon and evening side shoots.

RIFLE FIELD TARGET MATCH- DAY TWO – July 18th

Competitors can start sight in practice for the Rifle Field Target match at 7am.  Safety Meeting begins at 9:00am.  The match starts at 9:15am.  This will be a 52 shot course, with 26 lanes, two targets per lane, and ONE shot per target.  Timers will be given with the score cards.  Competitors will be allowed 4 minutes to set up, make their 2 shots and get their equipment out of the shooting box.  Time starts when you enter the shooters box.  One lane will be standing and two will be kneeling.

SUNDAY FREE LUNCH STARTS as you finish the course. AWARD PRESENTATIONS will follow.  Hopefully awards will be done by 1:30 or so for those who might need a quick exit for travel.

Wayne Burns

Match Director,

2021 Oregon St. Air Gun Field Target Championships

Online Registration forms:  https://airgunoregon.com

Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade

Ok .... next venue for the 2021 season to get ready for.    really looking forward to what the Ashland crew has done in venue reconstruction at "The Burns Ranch" ?

In years past it has always been something a tad different year to year and this is a good thing !!

Come on you FT shooters, make a trip to ASHLAND Oregon for a long weekend of Fun, some Sun and Oregon hospitality.

ReplyQuote
Irish
(@irish)

I’m there 

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

Here is the list I've got so far:

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

Here is the latest list of competitors:

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

Wow, it looks like the weather is going to give us a break for the match.  We have been seeing highs above 100 up to 115 in the last few weeks, but a cooling trend is coming our way next Wed. and lasting through the weekend.  They are predicting highs in the upper 80s to low 90s.. Hooray!  Back to normal for Ashland in July.  Praise the Lord... Thank you Father!

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade

Jim C and myself headed up on Thursday ... Pulling the Pop-Up camper and staying on-site.

Wayne, on your list of rifle being shot ... NOT the JSAR this season.   Back to the RAW TM-1000 .20 cal & Optisan Viper combo.

Scott S

ReplyQuote
JimW
 JimW
(@jimw)

I'll be heading up Thursday as well.  Will be camping on site.

See you before 5pm on Thursday hopefully....

ReplyQuote
Jacob W Sumner
(@jacob-sumner)

Ooh I better start planning my revenge on JW for Nevada lol. Both groups please have a safe trip and we shall see you on Thursday!

ReplyQuote
Kerndtc
(@kerndtc)

I'll be heading up Thursday, unsure on time, but I'll be heading up and planning on camping out!

Cam

ReplyQuote
Uglyjohn
(@uglyjohn)

Will there be video? Drones?

ReplyQuote
Jacob W Sumner
(@jacob-sumner)

There will be video. But drone footage might be tough with the terrain and trees. I did not buy a drone with object avoidance. And still just learning to not wreck it lol.

ReplyQuote
JimW
 JimW
(@jimw)

Jacob, better start making a giant dirt pile or climbing trees...  Otherwise you're going to have a hard time getting close to what there is in Nevada. 😎 

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade

Absolutely the BEST Oregon state FT Championship in years !!!

Wayne burns and his crew had done SO MUCH preparation on the sites Property, Targets and Lane locations it made for a Very very enjoyable yet deceptively difficult course.

Even the sight in range was ready for the gang to practice on.  Meals were timely and delicious after each days shooting ( Sat & Sun )

Fridays Pistol match by the time we started @ 3:30 was in nearly full shade for the shooters with the targets in near full sunlight .... Nice !!

GREAT JOB team AirGun Oregon !!

Scott S

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

Thanks Scott,

I hope everyone got home safe and sound.... some might be just arriving this morning.  Long drive for lots of folks and I really appreciate all it takes to attend.  Thanks to you all soooo much!

I had to take the morning to catch up at work, but I'll start on the match report later today.

All the hard work our club and family put in paid off.  The 31 troyer course (no wind factor included) was doable for the top shooters, and still very challenging for the brand new shooters we had attending... and the scores showed it.  I ended up making the course 3 targets per lane with 17 lanes and ONE shot per target.  So, a lot more ranging and no seconds shots after you see your hit or miss... not until the second day:-)

The course curves almost 90 degrees, so, the wind changes as you work around the curve of the course.  The center of the curve lanes are the most fun to guess the wind... and the target faces showed it.

But the top shooters figured it out pretty well.. you being one of them:-)

You and Scott Hull had a great battle for overall high score again from the Hunter class.  Scott Hull almost cleaning the course on Saturday... and you and Jim Whittlesey almost catching him on Sunday...  maybe AAFTA should change the scope rule back to 12 power max:-)

I'll leave it at that for now, and I assume someone will post a photo of the scoreboard soon, for those who can't wait for the report, which could be a day or so out with the look of my work schedule.

Thanks all, again so much for investing the time and money to attend.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Jacob W Sumner
(@jacob-sumner)

210835515 10221336001723803 8249121653426995635 n

ReplyQuote
dan_house
(@dan_house)

Big Thanx to the Oregon crew for a FANTASTIC time, great course and great food!

I shot Piston for the first time, felt like I did Ok at it. Learned a lot from many of the other shooters, about technique, gun setup, and sportsmanship.

LD has always said its a gentleman's game, and this group proves him right

Again, big thanx to Wayne, Randy, Jacob, Mrs Burns and Laurie for the effort!

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

Match Report Oregon State 2021 Field Target Championships

The weather did cool down to the high 80s and low 90s, and the smoke cleared for the match days.  The wind was mild to medium as the days progressed.  They were mostly quartering from behind us left and right.  As the competitors worked around the curving course along the creek the wind got even harder to read.

We had 19 shooters traveling from as far as Montana (Dan House), Colo.(Derek Aker),  Arizona (Bill Corder,  Pat Callahan, and Garrett Kwakkestein).  Scott H., Vince P, John K came from S. Cal.  Jim C, Jim W., Chris M., Scott S. and Al Padilla came up from the Sacramento area.

The course of fire was 17 lanes with 3 targets per lane.  It was a 31 troyer without the wind factor.  25 of the 51 targets were 40 plus yards, so competitors had a lot of targets to guess the wind on.

The Pistol course was 7 lanes with 3 targets for a 42 shot course. The Friday afternoon pistol match was hotly contested. The swirling winds were up to about 6mph by the 3pm start time.  Scott Schneider shot a 38/42, Scott Hull, Cameron Kerndt, and myself were only one point behind with 37/42, and Randy Ebersole shot a 35/42, John Knapp a 25 and Bill Corder a 23/42.

Bill had issues with both his new pistol and his new electonic Daystate Delta Wolf on the site in course Friday, and wasn’t able to shoot the rifle match after all the traveling from AZ.  I’m so sorry Bill.  But thanks for coming, shooting the Pistol match, visiting and keeping a positive attitude through it all.  Hope to see you at the West Coast Championship next month!

I like to start Saturday’s rifle match around 10:30 -11:00 to let the wind get going, especially with a 31T course, but Sunday, we started at 9:30 so folks could get started on their journey home sooner.  I would have thought that everyone would have done better on day two, but only about half did. 

Randy E did great work preparing the targets, they worked well, and we only had to replace one of the 51 rifle targets over both days.  We used the new AAFTA protest system that worked well.  We had two protests, one was valid and one was not.  The match moved along well, with no bunching up of squads.

In Hunter Class, Scott Hull almost cleaned the course Saturday.  He shot a 50/51 giving him a 4 point lead over Scott Schneider 46/51.   They had a big lead in Hunter Class, but Open was much tighter, Chris Lovitt, also shot a 46/51 with Jim Whittlesey at 45/51, Pat Callahan a 44 and Chris Merritt a 43.

Cameron Kerndt had a three point lead over Jacob Sumner in WFTF Piston Class with 35/51 and Jacob a 32/51.  They also had a big lead over the other piston class shooters.

With Bill C and Randy E not shooting the WFTF PCP class as planned, (Randy blew out his knee working on the course and had to switch to a bucket and bipod), only Garrett Kwakkestein and I shot the Class.  We were neck and neck for the first 2/3rds of the match, but I got tired about lane 12 and Garrett stayed strong to win the day with a 43/51 and me with a 37.

Sunday, Jim W. shot the high score for the day with a 49/51, to lock down 1st in Open class, while Chris L shot 2 less than Saturday with a 44/51 to hold onto second.  Chris M also shot better on Sunday with a 45 to ace out Pat C for 3rd.

In Hunter Class day two, Scott Schneider, shot great 48/51 and almost caught Scott Hull 45/51, so Scott H. won the class by one with a 95/102 for the overall high score.  John Knapp shot much better day two with a 42/51 to grab 3rd.

Cameron shot a super 43/51 for Piston class on Sunday to leave the rest of the class in the dust.  Jacob held on for 2nd and Jim Poh got 3rd.

Garrett & I again were tied after 12 lanes, but again I couldn’t keep up with his youth as we finished.  Garrett shot one point better Sunday with a 44/51 to win WFTF PCP and I did 3 points better on day two, with a 40/51.

Here are the rest of the scores and equipment list:

2021 Oregon State Field Target Championships

Scores   /102

Competitor

Class

Air Rifle

Scope

Pellet speed

95/102

Scott Hull

Hunter PCP

Diana Skyhawk

Athlon Helos 6-24x50

AA 10.34 @ 930

Scott Schneider

Hunter PCP

Raw TM-1000

Optisan Viper 4-16x50

jsb 13.7 @800

John Knapp

Hunter PCP

Styer LG 110

Hawke 8-32x56

JSB 10.34@880

Al Padilla

Hunter PCP

Air Arms S500

Aeon 6-24-x50

JSB 10.34 @ 850

Vicente Pacheco

Hunter PCP

Taipan Vet

Optisan Viper 4-16x50

JSB 10.34@ 860

Jim Cyran

Hunter PCP

Styer LG 100

S&B 5-25-x56

jsb 13.7 @795

Randy Ebersole

Hunter PCP

Kral Pro 500

Falcon X50 10-50x60

AA 10.34  @  900

Keith LaBnow

Hunter PCP

Avenger

Bushnell Match Pro

JSB 10.34@920

Jim Whittlesey

Open PCP

Thomas

Sightron 10-50x60

jsb 13.4 @810

Chris Lovitt

Open PCP

TM 1000 custom

10 50 x 60 Sightron

AA 10.34 @ 910

Chris Merritt

Open PCP

USFT #27

Nikko 10-50x60

AA 10.34 @ 890

Pat Callahan

Open PCP

USFT

Nikko 10-50x60

AA 10.34  @  930

Cameron Kerndt

PISTON WFTF

TX 200 HC

Falcon X50 10-50x60

JSB 7.87 @ 812

Jacob Sumner

PISTON WFTF

HW97 custom

Falcon X50 10-50x60

AA 10.34  @  700

Jim Poh

PISTON WFTF

TX200

Sightron 10-50x60

JSB 8.4 @ 758

Dan House

Open Piston

TX 200

10 50 x 60 Sightron

H&N 8.64 @ 754

Derek Aker

Open Piston

Diana 48

Hawke 4-16 x 50

.22 cal 13.4 AA @ 750

Garrett Kwakkestein

WFTF PCP

Thomas

March 5-42 HM FFP

JSB 8.4 @ 795

didn't shoot

Bill Corder

WFTF PCP

Daystate Delta Wolf

Sightron 10-50x60

JSB 8.4 @ 788

Wayne Burns

WFTF PCP

USFT  #1

Falcon X50 10-50x60

AA 10.34  @  711

Pistol

Scores   /42

Competitor

Class

Air Pistol

Scope

Pellet speed

37/42

Cameron Kerndt

Unlimited

Beeman QB 79

Hawke 3-12x44

JSB 10.34 @ 715

Bill Corder

Unlimited

?????

??????

????

38/42

Scott Schneider

Hunter

BSA Scorpion Custom

Hawke 4-12x50

JSB 10.34 @ 720

Scott Hull

Hunter

Benjamin Marauder

UTG 3-12x44

AA 10.34 @ 720

Wayne Burns

Hunter

USFT Pistol # 1

UTG 3-12x44

JSB 8.44 @ 790

Randy Ebersole

Hunter

Custom 1720T

UTG 3-12x44

AA 10.34 @ 720

John Knapp

Hunter

Crosman 1720T

Hawke 3-12x50

JSB 10.34 @ 715

I want to thank my crew: Randy, Jacob, Eric, and my wife Christine and Sister Laurie for all their hard work helping me host the match. There is no way the match could happen without them.  Thanks also, to all the competitors who attended.  Many traveled a long, long way.

Respectfully submitted,

Wayne Burns,

Match Director,

2021 Oregon State Field Target Championships

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade

Wayne,

FYI ... I Shot the RAW TM-1000 Custom .20 cal and Optisan Viper 4-16x50 combo.

Vince P ... Shot a TAIPAN VET with 13.4 JSB @ 815 with a Optisan Viper 4-16x50 ( Loaned gun )

* Read the score cards "Filled in info"

Scott S

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Topic starter  

Ok Scott, fixed it.

Motorhead thanked
ReplyQuote
Jacob W Sumner
(@jacob-sumner)

The files are all too large because I shot them in raw. Would have to edit all photos to make them fit. Click the link and it will take you to our photos page. You do not need to have an account to look.

Oregon State 2021 photos

Citizen K thanked
ReplyQuote
JimW
 JimW
(@jimw)

I wish I was shooting at 810fps...  I think I was in the high 760's (its on the card).  Same with Nevada, she was shooting fairly slow considering.  

Making some changes for the Westerns for sure.  

Probably going back to the Nikko (mainly for wind hold, I do not think my mil-dot to mil-hash conversion is correct) and going to verify my regulator setting so I can get back closer to 800.  I messed with the hammer spring tension after Day 1 in Oregon but was losing a lot of shots so I put it back to where I was before I turned it up.  I was getting into the 780's and I could not get past that no matter how much spring I added.

Great course, but I wish I would have found the tin of pellets I had for day 2 on the first day, turned out it was the one tin I did not test on Friday afternoon...  LOL

ReplyQuote