Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] 2020 AAFTA FT Championships hosted by AARR in Morro Bay CA  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 133
October 12, 2019 19:36:39  

Ashland Air Rifle Range is proud and honored to host the 2020 AAFTA National Field Target Championships.  We had planned to host the event here in Ashland, but a last minute event created some troubles with our lease, so with the uncertainty about who really makes the decisions about leases on the ranch, I decided to ask Scott Hull if we could host the event at Morro Bay.

I then was lucky to enlist all the other west coast match directors to help as marshals and support staff.  We want to offer a top notch 2020 AAFTA National Championships for “ya all”.

The tentative date is mid Oct 2020.  The weather is perfect in Morro Bay year round, but fall is very nice indeed with lows in the 50s at most and highs around 75 or 80.  The humidity is just right.  And the motel rates drop a lot from Sept.  It should be easy to book and I will try to set up a discount at a good motel with a great restaurant close by.  I already have some great candidates.

 

There are some tricky winds to deal with and the courses will be mostly flat compared to our very tricky winds and steep up and down hill lanes we have here in Ashland.  But, someday I promise, I will challenge you with a Nationals here in Ashland.  But for now we will do our best with the great venue at Morro Bay.

We are working on our revamped website still, but we should have online registration ready in a couple months.  Until then you can email me with any questions or concerns at wayne at airgunoregon dot com (of course no spaces and change the at and dot.

 

Blessings,

Wayne Burns,

Ashland Air Rifle Range


Quote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 133
June 25, 2020 09:32:15  

Hi Mike,

I'm talking with the AAFTA BoG.  I sent an email and haven't heard back as yet.  I think I'll send another one to follow up.

The general idea is to plan for about half the usual attendance, based on the estimate that a lot of folks won't want to travel by air or gather in large groups.

We also need to watch what the State of California will do over the next few months.  If cases climb after this "Opening Up" lately, then, they could be "Closing Down" by this Fall again.

One way or the other, we plan to host an event for about 50 competitors.  Which might have to be held in Southern Oregon instead, if CA gets shut down again.  Maybe a "West Coast Championships" if AAFTA can't get behind the Nationals this year.  .. stay tuned:-)

 

Wayne


ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade
Joined: 1 year ago
Posts: 108
June 27, 2020 11:13:47  

Wayne,

With all things BOG in recent years being how they have been ... Grrrrr      Without them being humble and majorly reducing there required kickback fees, allowing you to use LOCAL targets and not theirs it appears outside the Covid-19 issues .... it is going to be very difficult if not impossible to host a Nationals w/o the financial burden and deficits having to be absorbed / paid out by those that host it !!!   Not cool and not a practical business model for a AAFTA nationals in 2020.

We in the SVFTC are behind you simply making that time slot a FALL west coast championship and reschedule a Nationals event on the west coast in 2021 ... That's the wise thing to do with so much ciaos and uncertainty doing any and all public gatherings happening this 2020 season.

 

JMO,

Scott S 


ReplyQuote
thomasair
(@thomasair)
Member of Trade
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 25
June 28, 2020 10:18:32  

I don’t understand how the board is involved in the event.  As far as I know , the board does not try to micro manage the hosting club in any way.  What is it that you hope to hear from the board that will help you get things planned?

People want to know if this thing is gonna happen or not.  

We are almost into July...when are you gonna make a decision on what you are doing?

Mike 


mrodmods thanked
ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 133
June 28, 2020 23:50:29  

@thomasair

Hi Mike,  I feel your pain.  I'm trying....  Here is what I've got going...

 

Covid Plan for AAFTA 2020 National FT Championships

I’m sure some of you are wondering if we will be hosting the AAFTA National Championships this year.  We still plan to move forward with hosting the event as long as the state of California or Oregon doesn’t totally shut down again.

The plan is to set up another range if more than 50 plans to attend, 50 is the limit allowed on one range at a time under the current rules at the Morro Bay location.

I’ve heard from some folks that they are planning to come for sure if we can possibly host it.  And some have said they will wait until very close to the event to decide based on how the virus is doing at the time.

 As much as that makes it hard for my planning and budgeting, I understand completely.  I don’t want the pain of having to return match fees either.  Speaking of which the plan would be to only return 90% of the match fee, allowing for the credit card charges and accounting/handling costs.

So, that means we should set up two full courses just in case a lot of folks are last minute attendees and we end up with more than 50. We could also split the groups into morning and afternoon sessions.  Those not shooting or in the camping area, would have to clear out until their session.  You would shoot morning one day and afternoon the next.  Not great if the wind is calmer on one afternoon than the other, but squading can help with that issue.  That part is still undecided.

The meals plan if allowed might be staggered, so that only a few are allowed in the dining room/kitchen area at a time.  This might also work well for the morning and afternoon session’s idea, because the kitchen is on another range 1/2 mile away.  Or we might have to just leave out the meals and banquet if we can’t meet safety standards at the time.

I’ll look into the possibility of doing the auction online as well as at the site, so those that want to can bid from anywhere, sitting in their car at the event, or in their man cave at home.  That’s just an idea at this point.

We have to also consider the possibility that California has a blow up of covid cases and they shut down again this fall before the event.

If that happens and Southern Oregon is still open, which it has a high chance of being open, since we have a very low number of cases now, then I would move the event to my home ranch course where we are hosting the Oregon St Championships July 17th – 19th 2020, and use the Corp ranch Oak Alley Courses for the second range if more than 50 were attending.  That was the original plan, but we moved it to Morro Bay, CA in the hopes of making it easier for more to attend.

I would suggest that potential attendees form groups of two to four of your friends that you are already exposing yourself to, and rent an RV that sleeps the group, and drive to the event and stay in the RV or split up your group with some staying in a hotel when you arrive.  There is quite a bit of parking for RVs at the site and some have water and power hook ups.  That way you don’t have to risk flying or cancel and re-book flights if the venue does have to change at the last minute.

Since there are many healthy folks walking around with the virus who don’t even know it, masks are highly recommended even though we will be trying hard to enforce the 6’ distancing rule.  But let’s face it, some folks don’t even believe it’s a problem and aren’t going to even try to stay 6’ away from others.  I will have our range officers enforcing this policy and require anyone not social distancing to start wearing a mask if for only the safety of others around them…. Or leave the event.

 Masks are way more effective in keeping you from spreading it to someone else than protecting you from others.  So, if you plan to attend please be considerate of others, especially our older more vulnerable members.  You could be part of the 30% who get it and never know they had it or that they were infecting others without knowing it.  I’ll have some comfortable cotton, easy to put on and off masks available for all attending.

Hand sanitizing stations will also be all around.

Please let me know by email if you are even considering attending.

wayne@airgunoregon.com

Thanks and Blessings,

 

Wayne Burns,

Match Director,

AAFTA 2020 National Field Target Championships


ReplyQuote
thomasair
(@thomasair)
Member of Trade
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 25
June 29, 2020 01:42:03  

Since you need 2 courses anyway...why not just put each course on a separate range to begin with?  There would be no need for morning and afternoon sessions and you would be set up for any people over 50 right from the start. Seems a lot better than having to scramble at the last minute trying to set up a makeshift course.  

 


ReplyQuote
phepler
(@deadeye)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 136
June 29, 2020 13:22:31  

We rented a house near Morro Bay and bought airline tickets well before Covid hit. We have until 8/16 to get a full refund on one of our house rentals. I would like to attend Nationals if it goes on as scheduled. But I need to know what is decided before 8/16. 


ReplyQuote
Knobs
(@knobs)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 94
June 29, 2020 15:26:57  

@wayne-burns

Hey Wayne,

     I understand you're working with a soup sandwich & I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.

     The last minute change of venue idea  is going to be very tough for me to work with. My gut feeling is that holding out that possibility for too much longer is going to put a strain on attendance for anyone who isn't driving out.  It'd be nice if you could firm some things up soon, one way or the other.

    Online auction was considered for the 2018 NATS sponsored by the Tar Heel Airgun Club. It was rejected because it wasn't legal. I'm not sure if it was a State or Federal legal restriction.

___KNOBS


ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 133
June 29, 2020 17:10:43  
Posted by: @knobs

@wayne-burns

Hey Wayne,

     I understand you're working with a soup sandwich & I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.

     The last minute change of venue idea  is going to be very tough for me to work with. My gut feeling is that holding out that possibility for too much longer is going to put a strain on attendance for anyone who isn't driving out.  It'd be nice if you could firm some things up soon, one way or the other.

    Online auction was considered for the 2018 NATS sponsored by the Tar Heel Airgun Club. It was rejected because it wasn't legal. I'm not sure if it was a State or Federal legal restriction.

___KNOBS

It would only be a last resort to move the event to Southern Oregon.  The event will be held at Morro Bay unless the state of California stops us.  Then we would try to host it in Ashland Or. if southern Oregon is not shut down at the time for those who could or are willing to travel there at the time.

Yes, it's a very "soupy" situation to try and plan in....

 

Wayne


ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 133
June 29, 2020 17:14:18  
Posted by: @thomasair

Since you need 2 courses anyway...why not just put each course on a separate range to begin with?  There would be no need for morning and afternoon sessions and you would be set up for any people over 50 right from the start. Seems a lot better than having to scramble at the last minute trying to set up a makeshift course.  

 

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's what we will most likely do as we see more interest.  It's for sure the safest thing to do as we get toward the 50 attending level.

Wayne


ReplyQuote
Knobs
(@knobs)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 94
June 29, 2020 18:38:51  
Posted by: @wayne-burns
Posted by: @knobs

@wayne-burns

Hey Wayne,

     I understand you're working with a soup sandwich & I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.

     The last minute change of venue idea  is going to be very tough for me to work with. My gut feeling is that holding out that possibility for too much longer is going to put a strain on attendance for anyone who isn't driving out.  It'd be nice if you could firm some things up soon, one way or the other.

    Online auction was considered for the 2018 NATS sponsored by the Tar Heel Airgun Club. It was rejected because it wasn't legal. I'm not sure if it was a State or Federal legal restriction.

___KNOBS

It would only be a last resort to move the event to Southern Oregon.  The event will be held at Morro Bay unless the state of California stops us.  Then we would try to host it in Ashland Or. if southern Oregon is not shut down at the time for those who could or are willing to travel there at the time.

Yes, it's a very "soupy" situation to try and plan in....

 

Wayne

So are you saying it's definitely a go?


ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 133
June 29, 2020 22:43:21  

@knobs

 

Yes, we are for sure hosting the match at Morro Bay, unless the State of California says we can't.  If we want to be absolutely sure we can host it no matter what California does, we would have to plan to move it right now to the private Corp Ranch where we held that WFTF training camp a couple years ago.  But, not on Humility Hill, but on the same ranch on the "Oak Alley" Course across the road, with half the group and the other half on course on my ranch about 4 miles away where we would do food and stuff..

 

I don't know how I can be more clear.  Oregon is a back up plan, unless we don't want to risk a last minute shutdown in California and last minute change of plans.  THEN WE COULD SWITCH NOW.

THE ONLY THING STOPPING US FROM HOSTING THE MATCH IN CALIFORNIA, WOULD BE THE STATE BANNING MEETINGS OF 50 PEOPLE OR MORE, LIKE THEY DID ALREADY A COUPLE MONTHS AGO.

THERE IS NO WAY I CAN PREDICT THAT OUTCOME.  IF YOU WANT A BETTER GUARANTEE, LET'S DO IT ON PRIVATE LAND... RIGHT?

 

Sorry, I'm so bad at making myself clear.... let's keep working on getting on the same page.. until we all do.

 

Thanks,

Wayne 


ReplyQuote
Knobs
(@knobs)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 94
June 30, 2020 07:20:32  

@wayne-burns

Sorry, Wayne. I just wanted to be sure. It sounded like there might have been other issues that you needed to resolve to make it work financially.

 

___KNOBS


ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2