Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] 2020 AAFTA FT Championships hosted by AARR in Morro Bay CA  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
October 12, 2019 19:36:39  

Ashland Air Rifle Range is proud and honored to host the 2020 AAFTA National Field Target Championships.  We had planned to host the event here in Ashland, but a last minute event created some troubles with our lease, so with the uncertainty about who really makes the decisions about leases on the ranch, I decided to ask Scott Hull if we could host the event at Morro Bay.

I then was lucky to enlist all the other west coast match directors to help as marshals and support staff.  We want to offer a top notch 2020 AAFTA National Championships for “ya all”.

The tentative date is mid Oct 2020.  The weather is perfect in Morro Bay year round, but fall is very nice indeed with lows in the 50s at most and highs around 75 or 80.  The humidity is just right.  And the motel rates drop a lot from Sept.  It should be easy to book and I will try to set up a discount at a good motel with a great restaurant close by.  I already have some great candidates.

There are some tricky winds to deal with and the courses will be mostly flat compared to our very tricky winds and steep up and down hill lanes we have here in Ashland.  But, someday I promise, I will challenge you with a Nationals here in Ashland.  But for now we will do our best with the great venue at Morro Bay.

We are working on our revamped website still, but we should have online registration ready in a couple months.  Until then you can email me with any questions or concerns at wayne at airgunoregon dot com (of course no spaces and change the at and dot.

Blessings,

Wayne Burns,

Ashland Air Rifle Range

Bill Day
(@bill-day)
October 13, 2019 20:14:51  

Wayne, Pleased to see you get another chance at the 2020 Nationals in Morro Bay which has been on my favorite places to want to shoot. Looking forward to the opening of your registration.

ReplyQuote
TerryE1
(@terrye1)
October 14, 2019 14:21:36  

Glad to hear this, Wayne. Kinda early to mention this, but I hope the date doesn't coincide with the same weekend as the Extreme Bench Rest competition. There are those of us who would like to attend both. Just sayin'.

ReplyQuote
tom2009
(@tom2009)
October 14, 2019 15:11:21  

Wayne or Scott if you could let me know what the best Airport is  to get to the match,  the ones I was thing about was LAX  its about a 3 hour drive or Los Vegas is about a 6 hours is there a better choice. I know its very early but I would like to start planning

ReplyQuote
Knobs
(@knobs)
October 14, 2019 16:32:29  

@tom2009

I'd look at flying into Santa Barbara. It's a little under two hours drive.

LAX and San Jose(SJC) are 3 1/2  hours. Fresno is about 2 hours 45 minutes.

K

ReplyQuote
Scotchmo
(@scotchmo)
October 14, 2019 18:20:53  
Posted by: @terrye1

Glad to hear this, Wayne. Kinda early to mention this, but I hope the date doesn't coincide with the same weekend as the Extreme Bench Rest competition. There are those of us who would like to attend both. Just sayin'.

Dates are being reserved for the 2020 AAFTA Nationals. October 16-18, but not official yet.

When is the 2020 EBR?

ReplyQuote
Scotchmo
(@scotchmo)
October 14, 2019 18:25:29  
Posted by: @tom2009

Wayne or Scott if you could let me know what the best Airport is  to get to the match,  the ones I was thing about was LAX  its about a 3 hour drive or Los Vegas is about a 6 hours is there a better choice. I know its very early but I would like to start planning

San Jose is often easier access.

San Luis Obispo has a regional airport with West coast flights and direct flights as far east as Denver, Phoenix, Dallas/FT Worth - I believe.

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
October 14, 2019 21:21:18  

It can be a nice drive down 101, if timed right south of town, for traffic, from San Jose to San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay.  If you hit traffic, it can take twice as long out of LA.  Santa Barbara is above most of it like Knobs said.  But San Luis Obispo is next door if you can connect from those links like Denver, like Scott said.  don't forget I'll work on a discount for lodging for you folks.  Booking in Oct should not be as much of a problem as Sept would be.

Working on the website registration on our new site.  Hope to make the 30 day projection.  60 days on the outside.  Still no final approval from the BoG for that Oct 16th -18th date as yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
therealld
(@therealld)
October 14, 2019 21:23:21  

@scotchmo

Wow,

Great NEWS!   Looks like one I can get to by car ok, so health permitting, I'll be going for sure.  I'll need to shoot Hunter class,

since my regular (Western Freestyle) class won't be covered .... but at least I'll be shootin.

Seeya there,

LD

ReplyQuote
dmw
 dmw
(@dmw)
October 14, 2019 21:54:08  

@scotchmo

Agree with Scott.  San Jose is the best option for an international level airport.  The traffic from LA is terrible especially as you approach Santa Barbara.  I live in that area (silicon valley) and it is only a 3 hour 15 minute drive.

ReplyQuote
tom2009
(@tom2009)
October 15, 2019 06:07:26  

Thanks for the information 

ReplyQuote
SDplinker
(@sdplinker)
October 15, 2019 11:30:08  

Like Scott mentioned, direct flights available into SLO from SF, LA, Denver, Dallas and Seattle  .... Las Vegas coming in the fall, San Diego coming in Jan 2020 and Portland mid-year 2020.  

ReplyQuote
Mark.in.AZ
(@mark-in-az)
October 15, 2019 19:52:33  

The dates posted above are over the third weekend of October.  That is the same weekend as our Founders Cup match at Airgunners of Arizona.

When will you know for sure what the approved dates will be?

Mark

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
October 15, 2019 20:13:00  

@mark-in-az

Mark the choices we have for the Morro Bay Range are the Oct 16th - 18th or Sept 18th-20th.  Sept is not as good for motel rooms with the college starting up then.  Is your date in Oct hard to change?

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Mark.in.AZ
(@mark-in-az)
October 15, 2019 20:18:00  
Posted by: @wayne-burns

@mark-in-az

Mark the choices we have for the Morro Bay Range are the Oct 16th - 18th or Sept 18th-20th.  Sept is not as good for motel rooms with the college starting up then.  Is your date in Oct hard to change?

Wayne

Wayne, the dates will remain the same.  We will just have some of our people shooting nationals, and others shooting the Founders Cup.  We have enough to do both.

Mark

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade
October 16, 2019 12:59:37  

Having a Year to figure out the logistics, marshals and those in the 4 west coast clubs that will be in the team of individuals doing the work should be pretty awesome being we all know each other and been shooting the game enough years to make for one hell of a 2020 AAFTA Nationals !!

Sponsored by the ASHLAND group out of Oregon and helped in being successful by the 3 primary California clubs ..... Looks like we're off and running !!

Scott S

SVFTC

gokidd thanked
ReplyQuote
Bob D.
(@bob-d)
October 18, 2019 16:33:54  
Posted by: @wayne-burns

@mark-in-az

Wayne

Just my two cents, Wayne...

Please avoid any date in Sept.  If you look at the GP results for this year, you will see there were FIVE GP match weekends in September that will likely repeat in 2020, including the Rep.of TX GP the 2nd or 3rd weekend. 

Here in the midwest, we have only the Cajun's in LA, and Rep of TX in TX  available to post (two) GP scores within practical driving distance (for most), the third defaulting to Nationals in your neck of the woods.   If you pick Sept 18-20 for Nats (the traditional Rep. of TX weekend), that would make competing in the National Match pointless, as three GP scores would not be possible.  Can't be in two places at the same time, LOL.  Mid Oct would be great, IMO.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
October 18, 2019 16:51:32  

@bob-d

Hi Bob,

Yes, I looked at the crowded schedule in Sept too.  Adding that to the higher motel rates and less availability of rooms in Sept.  Oct seemed best.  That's my first choice proposed to the BoG.  I hope they will agree, but as yet have not got a confirmation on the date.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
October 23, 2019 17:36:54  

The date is secured! The AAFTA BoG has just given approval to our proposed date of Oct 16th for the pistol match and practice, and the 17th & 18th for the Rifle match.

I can now get serious on planning and trying to get a group discount for motel rates.  Do you want to pay a little more and be on the Bay front?  Really, let me know asap.

Here is a google map of the area with the course location.  If you zoom out from the course location, and go west to Morro Bay, and ask google for motels, you can see the choices I'm considering for you.. help me if you want.

Thanks,

Wayne

phepler and gokidd thanked
ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade
October 23, 2019 18:38:50  

Zoom out tho on the TOP map ... will we not be right next too CHORRO VALLEY REGULATORS as we have always been when shooting FT ?

Thanks for securing the date ... and AWAY we go .........................................................

ReplyQuote
Jacob W Sumner
(@jacob-sumner)
November 25, 2019 16:10:59  

Super excited to shoot at a Nationals match!

From my understanding we will be shooting in the same area. But the awards and banquet will be held at the larger building.

If anyone has any updated info please correct me if I am wrong.

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
January 31, 2020 17:30:05  

Our new website and registration page is getting close.  Should have it ready by the end of the month for sure.  If someone wants to register before then, send me an email for a form. 

wayne@airgunoregon.com

Wayne Burns

Match Director,

AAFTA 2020 National Field Target Championships

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
February 29, 2020 20:14:43  

Our new site is live now... finally.  The registration page is here.

https://airgunoregon.com/competitive-matches/

you can register for the Nationals, or the Oregon State Championships, or the upcoming "Oak Creek Challenge"  May 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Check the site in awhile for dates of our local FT matches at Oak Alley and my ranch, and Extreme Bench Rest matches we'll be hosting also with our new arrangement with the Ashland Gun and Archery Club.

We are setting up parallel to the creek on the long flat area.  

Thanks Wayne

ReplyQuote
eeler1
(@eeler1)
Member of Trade
February 29, 2020 21:03:56  

Nice website, Wayne.  Check your dates on the registration page for Morro Bay in October.   I'm still getting my schedule together and planning for Oak Creek in May.  July will be tough, though.

Jon

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
March 1, 2020 11:57:52  

Thanks Jon, I'll have them fix that.  

And it also needs to make it clear that the "Campers Meal Package" is for breakfast and dinner BBQ.  The after match lunch is FREE as usual.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
March 7, 2020 11:13:49  

Hotels near the site...

Now, that the website and registration is finally done, I've been focusing more on the Hotel issue.

I need to know if most of you want to be on the coast or inland in San Luis Obispo.  There are more rooms with two queen beds at the larger 4 to 5 star hotels.  A lot of the smaller lower price point hotel/motels can't usually handle 50 plus, so if that's the direction you want, there are some that are next door to each other like this one who is working with me to talk with the other two next door.  What do you think? morrobaybeachbungalow.com

The larger more expensive ones can handle the whole group, but we better book soon.. either way

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?aid=356929;label=metagha-link-mapresultsUS-hotel-429846_dev-desktop_los-3_bw-222_dow-Thursday_defdate-0_room-0_lang-en_curr-USD_gstadt-2_rateid-0_aud-0_cid-_gacid-6623578701_mcid-10;sid=3d96b5a189a5218451c6593e8222c378;checkin=2020-10-15;checkout=2020-10-18;city=20014621;ext_price_total=597.57;highlighted_hotels=429846;hlrd=with_av;keep_landing=1;redirected=1;show_room=42984601_201273799_0_1_0;source=hotel&utm_campaign=US&utm_content=los-3_bw-222_dow-Thursday_lang-en_curr-USD_gstadt-2_rateid-0_aud-0_cid-_gacid-6623578701_mcid-10&utm_medium=mapresults&utm_source=metagha&utm_term=hotel-429846&

Wayne

ReplyQuote
tom2009
(@tom2009)
March 10, 2020 14:39:21  

Hi Wayne 

is there any places in the $80.00 to 100.00 price range not to far from the range 1/2 hour to an 1 hour away

ReplyQuote
Scotchmo
(@scotchmo)
March 10, 2020 18:52:25  
Posted by: @tom2009

Hi Wayne 

is there any places in the $80.00 to 100.00 price range not to far from the range 1/2 hour to an 1 hour away

There are lots of low cost options within an hours drive. Pismo Beach, Grover Beach, etc - $80+ range. If you want something close, then Morro Bay or San Luis Obispo, but costs are higher.

Motel 6 is about $100/day in Morro Bay for those dates, rooms still available:

Thusday, Oct 15 - $60
Friday, Oct 16 - $100
Saturday, Oct 17 - $140
Sunday, Oct 18 - $60

https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.ca.morro-bay.4.html

9 minutes from the range (6.6 miles)

Or San Luis Obispo might be a little lower price and 20 minutes away.

Spend more and there are more close options.

ReplyQuote
Wayne Burns
(@wayne-burns)
April 28, 2020 21:11:13  

We are investigating ways to possibly host a limited AAFTA 2020 National FT Championships.

A thread below is considering some ideas for doing so.  Please join in with opinions. https://airgunwarriors.com/community/postid/37464/

Blessings,

Wayne

ReplyQuote
thomasair
(@thomasair)
Member of Trade
June 23, 2020 12:46:45  

Hi Wayne,

What is the latest word on how this event is going to shape up?

Mike 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2