Notifications

Results from the Picnic Table Bench Rest Match, Heflin, Alabama 2.1.20  

RSS

libertyman777
( @libertyman777 )
2020-02-02 20:29:09  

Hi all, 

So I know this is a bit unorthodox since we don't yet have a club nor did we announce a match.  But here's the scoop.  We were planning on a UK HFT match here in Heflin yesterday.  The targets were painted and lubed, the strings pulled, all the lane changes made for the match.  The only thing that didn't cooperate was the weather.  It was 40 degrees with periods or rain.  So while we were lamenting our current lot in life, Rod Bradley reminded me of a conversation we had earlier in the week about Benchrest.  So we gave it a go.  Now for the disclaimer.  We didn't have benches, we didn't have proper rests.  We didn't have correct targets or even a good understanding of the rules.  But what we did have was FUN!!  

The scores aren't worth posting, as they were shot on incorrect targets that we didn't really understand how to properly score.  So for this inaugural match, everyone was a winner.  For what it's worth, we did shoot at 25 meters, outdoors and everyone was in the Light Varmint Class.  

What's most important is that the decision was made but become affiliated with United States Air Rifle Benchrest .  So I will be sending that information off tomorrow and ordering our targets.  I will make a proper announcement shortly.  We will be called East Alabama Airgun Benchrest and we are located in Heflin, Alabama.  

Yesterday's participants were Rod Bradley, Michael Loar and Paul Oswalt.

Resized 20200201 113028
Resized 20200201 113009
Resized 20200201 112915
Resized 20200201 112858

Bill Day
( @bill-day )
2020-02-02 23:00:23  

Paul, Great to see other FT shooters contemplating Benchrest.  Up my way benchrest 25 yard indoors gives me more time with my airguns almost year round and some valuable trigger time. I get a chance to meet new airgun friends and best of all stay out of the weather when shooting in the winter months. A group of FT familiar names are also doing 25 yard benchrest indoors in Ohio and are experiencing great turnouts.   Will be looking forward to more of your results. Take Care, Bill

ReplyQuote
libertyman777
( @libertyman777 )
2020-02-02 23:17:35  
Posted by: @bill-day

Paul, Great to see other FT shooters contemplating Benchrest.  Up my way benchrest 25 yard indoors gives me more time with my airguns almost year round and some valuable trigger time. I get a chance to meet new airgun friends and best of all stay out of the weather when shooting in the winter months. A group of FT familiar names are also doing 25 yard benchrest indoors in Ohio and are experiencing great turnouts.   Will be looking forward to more of your results. Take Care, Bill

Nice to hear from you Bill, I hope all is well.  
It was a lot of fun.  I’m looking forward to next month.

I’m curious as to what’s most popular as far as contests and equipment.   
Paul

ReplyQuote
Bill Day
( @bill-day )
2020-02-03 09:55:48  

@libertyman777

Paul, Most U.S (USARB) Bench rest clubs who are affiliated with the world order (WRABF) similar to  what the WFTF is to Field Target. They have a variety of classes to shoot (Heavy Varmit … Air Rifles up to 20 ft lbs  of energy with total weight no more that 15.5 lbs).) (Light Varmit … Air Rifles up to 12 ft lbs of Energy with total weight no more than 10.5 lbs) In the U.S we offer a Open class and Springer class with similar but a little different rules. We shoot 3 targets consisting of 25 scoring rings on each target for a total of 75 shots. The target bulls eyes (For lack of a better word) are scored from the center of the target out with the smallest circle called the X ring being about 3/32 in diameter. Rings of the target spot are scored 10-9-8-ect. Any shot that touches the outer perimeter of the ring being scored receive the points that ring qualifies for. If the ring is completely covered by the pellet it is considered a "X" which are accumulated for a total of possibly 25 X's per target and used to break ties. Their is a  possibility of 250 points for each target. The three targets per round would score 750 points for the highest possible score with 75 X's. Only .177 and .22 calibers are used  in Airgun  Benchrest at 25 yards indoor or outdoor. We also have a 50 yard target that can be used if that distance is offered. As you probably know extreme BR has their own rules and I don't believe they are affiliated with any world organization but I'm not certain about that.  Nothing prevents clubs in the USA from adopting their own rules if they choose but to compete in competition sanctioned by the USARB or their Scoreline competitions would need to follow their rules. As in many sports their are many rules that I have not mentioned here (Bench height, types of gun supports you can use, ect.  Note: All shots holes are scored (Plugged) with the .22 diameter plug to make the scoring fair for the .177  air rifles which is the most popular rifle used in 25 yard bench rest.  I believe you can go to the usarb.com and download their rules for more precise information.

I hope I have covered what you asked. Regards, Bill     

ReplyQuote
strever
( @strever )
2020-02-03 13:46:18  

Welcome to Bench-rest Paul

Bill pretty much give a good description

but Bill it is not USARB

it is https://www.usairriflebenchrest.com/

ReplyQuote