Notifications
Clear all

Winstar HS 550

(@davec)
Topic starter  

Used to be into airguns in the late 80's to 00's especially interesting air pistols. Sold off many including to my regret, a Drulov 300, but still have this Rutten Winstar pistol. Like a Tempest on steroids, great build quality like most of their product, shame they didn't have more support for their innovative though quirky product. 

Resizer 16102863440120

straitflite
(@straitflite)

Posted by: @davec

Like a Tempest on steroids

Of the spring pistols I've held and shot, the Tempest had the most comfortable feel in the hand, almost like an extension of it. Unfortunately, It is easier to hit can sized targets if you throw it at it. Buddy & I had a pair. If UK Webley had used solid pins instead of the rolled hollow pins, designed a more positive barrel latch and last but not least, a beefier barrel pivot with larger solid steel pin, It might have been on par with the legendary status of the P1. For it size/power ratio, it was fantastic. Still, I recommend throwing 2 at once to improve chance of hitting the target(my concept of a Tempest on steroids).

That one you have there looks pretty interesting. I see solid pins, a completely independent power plant tube(?) and dual hinge points for the barrel pivot. Can't tell much from the barrel latch in the pic but looks better in quality than the Tempest. Your overall build quality looks amazing in comparison. But as you mentioned it bites not having support/parts.

What kind of energy does it put out? Accurate? Good looking pistol!

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

I want one of those!

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Posted by: @davidenoch

I want one of those!

LOL Yeah, thinking same thing here. 

b2cba53c57258e7c67b50ea6988f1b83

@davec)

Does about 540fps sound about right?

ReplyQuote
(@marflow)

well they are a bit of a hot shooting pistol, would love to have one 

PA sold them and they appeared to be expensive at 235.00 in 2002, so about 340.00 now 

yes 540fps is right on the money Blue Book lists 550

it is always interesting that the older out of production gun have such draw, at least to me 

these much be rare also, i haven't seen many on the secondary market 

how is the trigger pull and is it adjustable 

some reading

winstar hs 550 - Google Search

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Topic starter  

@straitflite yes, runs hotter than Tempest, 500 fps wadcutters. Though no chrony anymore. Agree completely on Tempest, nice pocket pistol but all the cost cutting from their all steel predecessors hampered performance.

ReplyQuote
(@marflow)

well the tempest i a harsh shooting pistol, i own 2 and a hurricane but i don't shoot them 

the tempest is small, easy to cock and load but the the harshest cycle, people love them, i have no understanding why 

but then again i know better, i have many pistols 

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

The Tempest is my favorite pistol.  I think of the Tempest as “Coke can” accurate. On one vacation the Tempest was all I shot. I hung a coke can from a limb with a string through the pull tab. I probably started at about 10’ but by the end of the week I was hitting most shots at 20 yard and even further. The secret to the Tempest is to shoot it a lot. It is rewarding to get to shooting it better. My pistol has a terrible trigger pull. I would love to have Dave Slade do the trigger in mine. 

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Topic starter  

@davidenoch The Tempest was my first air pistol and loved its compact dimensions relative to other pistols. I did shoot it a lot, ok accuracy, tough trigger tho pull adjustable. A tuned version with the Beeman wood grips would be sweet.

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

i have the Rutten Winstar and the Rutten Airstar .177 rifles. Need the pistol to complete the collection

IMG 3480

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Posted by: @emveepee

Need the pistol to complete the collection

Good luck with that.

Nice looking rifles!

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

They are around...you just have to be patient. There is one on Egun right now.....no bids he wants too much. Correction 3 bids now at 452 Euros

ReplyQuote
(@marflow)

emveepee have you ever got an air gun off Egun shipped to the states 

i have bought diopters and grips and parts but never an air gun, most wouldn't ship anyway

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

@marflow Yes

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Topic starter  

@emveepee Nice!, that Mach1 looks great! near 10 lb weight?

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

@davec 9.6 lbs     great design and engineering and beautifully finished

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

@straitflite      Just bought a new in the box HS 550 .."sight unseen"   Will post pics when I receive them

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Topic starter  

@emveepee awesome, congrats!!

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

@emveepee

Holy cow!! Belgium craftsmanship.. Jealous over here boss!

That thing has got shoot me written all over it... New in the box? Wonder if that will ever be repeated. Congrats man! 😀 

ReplyQuote
(@emveepee)

Apparently only shot for test

ReplyQuote