Williams sights, is...

Notifications
Clear all

Williams sights, is there a problem?

JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
Topic starter  

I have searched the web, and cannot find anyone who currently stocks the Williams FP AG TK sight. (The go-to peep sight for air guns.) The only thing I could find in stock is the FP GR TK, which is the lower sight-line version.

The reason for this is my somewhat silly quest to recreate a 10M sight for my Tau 200.

https://airgunwarriors.com/community/airgun-talk/williams-aperture-thread-size-i-need-help/#post-49525

The Williams chassis works great, but I discovered I actually need target knobs. Loosening and tightening screws for small adjustments has become frustrating.

So, I have a GR TK on the way. I'll make it work. I have a few sight risers in the box if I need them.

Topic Tags
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Hi Jim. Not sure what the deal is but don't think the shortage can be blamed on the pandemic because when I was looking for an FP-AG-TK a couple years ago they were hard to find then, too. I have a feeling that they simply may not make all that many of them. Why I don't know, unless it's to try to keep the demand up on them so that when they do release a batch they sell out in fairly short order. I got lucky this past winter and managed to find one while they were in stock on Amazon and grabbed one for my HW30S. A few months ago I was tossing around the idea of one of the WGRS-54 models for the 3/8" dovetails. But when I checked for them on Amazon they were sold out, too.

Good luck with the GR model. Hope you can make it work for what you're wanting to do.

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)

i had asked a question to Williams last month and they got right back to me, so emails to them will answer your questions 

i did find out that they stopped making the sight blade to change the peep to the blade or the other way around but they make one for Crosman, that is confusing 

FP-AIRGUN AG (williamsgunsight.com)

good luck

ReplyQuote
Limbshaker
(@limbshaker)

You still have to loosen the gib clamp screw to adjust elevation, even with the knobs. The "Target Knob" model is basically useless if you expect tool-free adjustments. Just a heads up.

ReplyQuote
DonC
 DonC
(@donc)

Limbshaker is correct about gib clamp screw. You would think instructions would address this important fact.

3 years ago I bought a new in the box discontinued 10 meter rifle....a Crosman Challenger CO2. The peep sight is quite nice. Turns out, it's made by Daisey and I just bought another one for my PCP Stoeger XM1 rifle. I really like this peep sight. It's probably not as nicely engineered as the 3 Williams peeps I own BUT it functions perfect. Very affordable too and in stock. It also cantalevers back and shortens eye relief if you like that. Also has rubber "boot" to touch your eye like most 10 meter kits. This peep sight was sold for adolescent shooter competitions by Crosman. Adjusting the sight is opposite to most scope/ iron sight systems. This is also true with Schmidt and Bender scopes. Clockwise and counterclockwise adjustments are reversed.

Just another option to consider if Williams are hard to find.

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donc

Limbshaker is correct about gib clamp screw. You would think instructions would address this important fact.

3 years ago I bought a new in the box discontinued 10 meter rifle....a Crosman Challenger CO2. The peep sight is quite nice. Turns out, it's made by Daisey and I just bought another one for my PCP Stoeger XM1 rifle. I really like this peep sight. It's probably not as nicely engineered as the 3 Williams peeps I own BUT it functions perfect. Very affordable too and in stock. It also cantalevers back and shortens eye relief if you like that. Also has rubber "boot" to touch your eye like most 10 meter kits. This peep sight was sold for adolescent shooter competitions by Crosman. Adjusting the sight is opposite to most scope/ iron sight systems. This is also true with Schmidt and Bender scopes. Clockwise and counterclockwise adjustments are reversed.

Just another option to consider if Williams are hard to find.

Yup, I am aware of the elevation locking screw on all the Williams chassis, no big deal.

As far as I know, Daisy has 2 different target peep sights, the one that used to be called the 5899, which they sell on the 499B, and the other one that comes on all the other target rifles. That second sight was originally made by El Gamo, before they were Gamo, and has been widely copied and sold by Crosman, Daisy, Avanti, QB, and even Airarms. All of the recent ones are Chinese, and have some lash in the adjustment screws. I have a couple of them, as well as an original El Gamo marked one. The El Gamo has considerably less screw lash. They all benefit from a beercan shim under the one-sided clamping shoe, to keep the sight from canting when tightened down. Without the shim, elevation adjustment requires windage adjustment as well, since the sight is slightly canted.

The 5899 is a decent sight, if somewhat fragile. But it needs a flat top, and will not work on grooves cut into a round receiver. Also, it has a proprietary thread size, so you're stuck with the aperture it comes with.

I'm intrigued by the new Crosman match sight, but it seems a little spendy, especially considering I can still get a classic Anschutz match sight for around $150 shipped, (Ebay, from Bulgaria!)

ReplyQuote
RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

Brownell's says it is a "special order item" and to allow 5-8 weeks. But it looks like you can still get one from them.

Worth noting; I was looking at aperture sights a while back. While trying to figure out the similarities and differences I noticed that most of them were plastic. If that's important to you, read the descriptions carefully.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@rockdoc65 

Special ordering thru Brownell's probably won't do much good when even Williams show them out of stock on their website.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/fpairgun-ag-014168

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

I take that the one you are looking for is the same as the old Beeman catalog #5823... I have one mounted on my Sterling Armament HR81... it has the Merit Disc (Beeman #5960), which is a big improvement over the regular supplied aperture.

Maybe you can locate one of these to use in the Williams GR-TK ?

Make one very nostalgic for the old Beeman company !

Sterling Armament HR81 5

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jim-in-swmo

Hi Jim. Not sure what the deal is but don't think the shortage can be blamed on the pandemic because when I was looking for an FP-AG-TK a couple years ago they were hard to find then, too. I have a feeling that they simply may not make all that many of them. Why I don't know, unless it's to try to keep the demand up on them so that when they do release a batch they sell out in fairly short order. I got lucky this past winter and managed to find one while they were in stock on Amazon and grabbed one for my HW30S. A few months ago I was tossing around the idea of one of the WGRS-54 models for the 3/8" dovetails. But when I checked for them on Amazon they were sold out, too.

Good luck with the GR model. Hope you can make it work for what you're wanting to do.

I have a WGRS-54 on my Dragonfly. It's a terrific, extremely compact sight. Adjustment is by way of extremely tiny screws, but really, once you get it right, it's "set it and forget it." The big bonus is that there's nothing hanging over the sides. It would make a great hunting sight, since there's nothing to catch brush.

I did have to widen the dovetail slightly to fit the SPA grooves. A while back I invested in a 60* dovetail file from Brownells. It has two dead sides, and only cuts on one. A worthwhile investment if like me, you are constantly messing around with different sights on different guns.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@jiminpgh 

Hi Jim

Yeah, that compact design is what appeals to me about the WGRS-54. The only thing I'm not that fond about is the screw style adjustment. They can be a bit fiddly sometimes. But as you said, once set you can pretty much forget about it.

And thanks for the tip on the dovetail file. Might have to look around for one of those. From some of the reviews I've read on the WGRS-54, I understand that it's not always a slip-on fit on 3/8" dovetails, let alone being a good fit for 11mm dovetails. Hard to believe that after all the years those systems have been in use they haven't been made a standardized size. The 3/8" and 11mm both seem to vary from gun to gun, even from the same manufacturer.

ReplyQuote