Who has shot the Da...

Notifications
Clear all

Who has shot the Daisy 7X7 pistols?  

RSS

Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
July 25, 2020 19:25:52  

I bought a 717 and could not be happier with the accuracy! What are you're thoughts on the platform?

I bought it to get grips for an older friend that couldn't shoot his 777 because the grips were too big. Turns out that he bought it new,  never even dry fired the gun!!

bf1956 thanked
marflow
(@marflow)
July 25, 2020 20:03:39  

they are fine pistol

i got one that i upgraded with a 747 trigger group and LW barrel and found a pair of 777 grips 

you can take the trigger out and work on it on the table and see how it work 

i put a piece of hard foam on the top of the trigger to take up the trigger take up when i put back together 

it just pushes the trigger down-back-pick one 

it was more of a proof of concept but it was a big help in trigger feel 

now i assembled the trigger group out off parts, bought at Daisy and the trigger pin has  splining  at it's center and was a SOB to install, so knowing that the trigger could take a big hammer to punch out or a press 

i wish i had removed some before i drove it in 

there are easy to work on also

it was a shame Daisy stopped making them alone with the 853's 

prices used now have become absurd, i have thought about building a 717 out of the left over parts but haven't 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)
July 25, 2020 21:31:51  

I am glad you like the pistol Jim.  They are nice guns.  I have shot them a good bit and they are accurate.

Bob in WV

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
JW652
(@jw652)
July 26, 2020 11:48:39  

Bob is right on the money. My 777 is just as accurate (in my hands) as my FWB 65. There is a sense of pride in owning an American made, entry level - but competitive, 10 M air pistol.

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
July 26, 2020 12:09:22  
Posted by: @bob-in-wv

I am glad you like the pistol Jim.  They are nice guns.  I have shot them a good bit and they are accurate.

Bob in WV

So much so Bob that I bought the new/old 777 from my buddy!!

ReplyQuote
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)
July 26, 2020 13:16:57  

You did good Jim. The 777 is real nice.  I think I still have a couple of those around here somewhere.When my buddy Joe in WV was alive, we used to shoot pistols a lot.  Sadly, not so much anymore.  Enjoy that 777.

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
July 27, 2020 17:19:05  

After a few hundred pellets, I'm keeping the 777 and selling the 717 with the aftermarket wood grips and the Don Nygord trigger mod. 

ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
July 27, 2020 19:37:09  

I have owned 2.  Didn't like the plastic breech cover closer thingy.  Sold them cheap.

ReplyQuote
tinker
(@tinker)
July 27, 2020 21:26:55  

Yeah, those plastic bolts are definitely function over form.   Picked up this one cheap with a broken bolt and a nail epoxied in so I fashioned my own "handle".   I have a spare bolt but this one feels nicer to the touch and works surprisingly well.   

717   more wood

ReplyQuote
thirdshift
(@thirdshift)
July 27, 2020 22:44:57  

I purchased a nice used 717 last year. Still shoots nines and tens.

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
July 28, 2020 20:26:50  

so i had to look for the Don Nygord mod and found this which explains it 

https://airgunwarriors.com/resources/library/Daisy_717_Don_Nygord_Mods.pdf

but looking at the diagram i think a different angle would work as well

and you can grind the sear to make the area of contact area less, i have done it 

but again the sear movement is only a few millimeter 

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
July 29, 2020 20:00:17  

@marflow

The nice part of the Nygord mod is it is reversible and tunable. Grinding the sear could result in unwanted results. As far as the angle, it would be pretty difficult to install the screw any other way (at least in my machining experience). 

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
July 29, 2020 20:30:02  

that is true you might screw up the sear but then again you might drill the hole in the frame wrong or screw up the threads and the sear cost about 3 bucks from Daisy or it used to be 

and we are talking of grinding off maybe .5mm and when you do the work you have the trigger group in you hand and watch the results 

i'm all about drilling and tapping but i just mentioned a different way 

and it is no different then drop the height of the sear on the 2240 

it is R&D work, proof of concept but only do what you want i really don't care

ReplyQuote