Clear all

What the heck is Tom doing now?  

RSS

Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-02-16 18:50:40  

SSP conversion kit for your HW 30?

Vortekproducts.com

Why Buy a new Air Gun, to get PCP-PISTON technology?
“YOUR Current airgun is your new Single Stroke Pneumatic-piston air gun ”
The all new self-contained "Center Fire Latchtm"
Air Piston Kit. Precisely fits in place of piston and coil spring. Self-Contained,
no refilling, adjustable power, design for center-rod latching Airgun models.
EZ-adjustable ball valve~output range 3ft/lbs-20+ft/lbs

*HW30 CE: 15-25lbs
Hand Pump-Low Bar fill: 30 up to 75
currently in process close to complete.
Other builds in process:
*HW 95/98/85
HW50, 57
*HW97
HW80

Diana34
Diana48, 52, 54
AirArms TX200
AirArms Prosport

scratchit thanked
marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-16 22:30:29  

well it looks well made, the price will be the key

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-02-17 08:04:02  

That has my full attention.

I would like to see extensive full pressure test results for each kit. I'm also wondering how the cocking effort would compare to equal ME's, when comparing their spring counterparts, as well as shot spreads. Will they be serviceable? It sounds like wonderful development.

Quite the tease. Drum roll please....

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
2020-02-17 08:59:50  

Tom Gaylord was testing one of these for the R9 back in 2018. Unfortunately, he never finished the test. Here's the link to the last part with links to the other parts at the top.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2018/04/beeman-r9-with-vortek-center-latching-air-piston-part-4/

It's an interesting idea. I know over the years there have been a lot of people wishing for something like this for the Dianas and HWs. If the price is right and it can be serviced/rebuilt by the home tinkerer it might be a good option for those folks.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-02-17 13:24:57  

I'm thinking it would be sweet in my TX.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Jeff Marshall
(@jmars)
2020-02-18 10:53:48  

This is Tom's second go around with gas piston conversions. I have a .20 R1-AW that has one of his first generation rams and also a steel Vortek Accurizer barrel mounted harmonic tuner. It is a sealed unit, and shoots Field Target Trophy pellets at 780 fps, and Crosman domes at 680. It is rumored that there were also a few rams produced for side lever Diana's.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-02-18 12:20:59  

Jeff,

Yup his site lists 48, 52, and 54 models in the works.  I have a .20 R1 as well.  How do you like the gas conversion?  

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Jeff Marshall
(@jmars)
2020-02-18 13:41:58  
Posted by: @faucetguy

Jeff,

Yup his site lists 48, 52, and 54 models in the works.  I have a .20 R1 as well.  How do you like the gas conversion? 

Hello Faucetguy,

I think my setup was probably made in the 1990's.

I purchased two of these nickel finish/synthetic stocked R1's second hand from a gun shop in the early 2000's for a total cost of $425; they already had the rams and harmonic tuners installed. I traded one of them for a pro tuned R11, and still have the other.

My gun has a smooth shot cycle that is typical of gas/piston guns, but to be honest I prefer well tuned guns with steel mainsprings because they have lower cocking effort. I would not pay to have a gas ram installed in a gun.

By the way, I found and purchased a mint condition 1968 FWB 65 in a factory hard case for $225 at this same gun store a few months later. It's worth it for airgun guys to check gun stores just in case!

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Talldog
(@talldog)
2020-02-19 19:38:23  
Posted by: @faucetguy

SSP conversion kit for your HW 30?

Vortekproducts.com

Why Buy a new Air Gun, to get PCP-PISTON technology?
“YOUR Current airgun is your new Single Stroke Pneumatic-piston air gun ”
The all new self-contained "Center Fire Latchtm"
Air Piston Kit. Precisely fits in place of piston and coil spring. Self-Contained,
no refilling, adjustable power, design for center-rod latching Airgun models.
EZ-adjustable ball valve~output range 3ft/lbs-20+ft/lbs

*HW30 CE: 15-25lbs
Hand Pump-Low Bar fill: 30 up to 75
currently in process close to complete.
Other builds in process:
*HW 95/98/85
HW50, 57
*HW97
HW80

Diana34
Diana48, 52, 54
AirArms TX200
AirArms Prosport

LOL ... whatever happened to the laws of physics ...

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-02-20 05:30:44  
Posted by: @talldog

LOL ... whatever happened to the laws of physics ...

They were placed under arrest...?

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-02-20 12:27:07  

Now it reads due March 2020.  We won't have long to wait and see.

ReplyQuote
Kidpellet
(@kidpellet)
2020-02-20 19:29:32  

I'm confused, is it an SSP kit or just a gas piston?

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-02-21 14:09:26  
Posted by: @kidpellet

I'm confused, is it an SSP kit or just a gas piston?

Exactly, either way the guy is moving things forward in the spring gun arena.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
2020-02-26 10:47:33  

This is the 3rd time that Vortek has approached the problem.

HOWEVER, let me tell you that the advances in materials and industrial supplies in the past two years render all previous "experiences" quite irrelevant. Whatever you have read, or even if you own one of the original Vortek Gas Pistons, these are completely different animals.

I've worked with Tom on a parallel system and the new solutions work. Cocking effort is much reduced from previous gas springs/rams designs. And it happened through the simple APPLICATION of the laws of physics. I won't tell you more, that is up to Tom.

Price will be up to Tom to decide, but I would think it has to stay competitive with other gas-ram (yes they are adjustable, so they are not only gas springs, but gas-rams) in the market.

And, when you are designing/building gas springs you should not be concerned with how they work at "full pressure". That is the way ALL current offerings work in ANY industry (from mould and die, to auto, to motorcycle, to hospital equipment, etc), and it is one of the reasons for their inefficiency. Concern yourself about how it will work at its LOWEST pressure. Solve that with current materials and supplies, and you have a great product.

On the wording of the ad, you need to read carefully.

Consider this: The piston becomes ONE with the ram, therefore it is a "Pneumatic Piston", and all piston airguns are "single stroke", so if you install this you will have a single stroke pneumatic piston airgun. It's not an SSP in the USUAL manner we understand it, but the wording is precise, not hype.

Patience and perseverance, my friends! 😊 

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
tallpaul
(@tallpaul)
2020-02-26 17:20:51  

I had the pleasure and surprise of talking to Tom a while back and we talked a bit about this... the man is EXCITED beyond belief! His enthusiasm and the results he is getting has him as excited as anything I ever heard. I am gonna have to try one before the years up for sure!

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-02-27 18:56:40  

Thanks Hector and Paul.  You've made the OP very happy and excited to see what's what.

Ive been a Vortek/Tom fan for a long time hope this works out.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote