What? No love for t...

Notifications
Clear all

What? No love for the Crosman 150 Pellgun?

teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

This week... none. Next week... two. One of the first variant and one of the second variant... pics coming (as soon as I get them. I had one as a kid. I remember it being real accurate and hard hitting. Got some seals and CO2 cartridges on the way too.

Next week will be a fun week for me. Iv'e been away from airguns for almost twenty years, and sold all of my air rifles way back when. Next week the count increases dramatically... Threads coming, airguns coming, pics coming. Plus, something special if I can clinch the deal.

DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

I like the Crosman 150 but they are just too loud for me to shoot them at home.  I bought an old TW150 at a pawn shop one time that had a broken grip.  That old beater was the best shooting pistol I ever had.  I have read that the Ted Williams model didn't have a different barrel but there was something special about that pistol.  I wish I had not sold it, but that was years ago.  I now have both a S&W78 and also a Crosman MK 1.  I shoot both of them on half cock most of the time.

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@davidenoch

Thanks David, I don't recall the report from mine (it's been over 50 years). But the noise wont be an issue for me, maybe the dog but, not me.

Hmmm, your name is familiar. Blue Book? Dallas Guitar show 2005?

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

I would have to wear hearing protection of some kind.  I don't want to go deaf like my dad did.  It's pretty lonely when you can't hear anything even with hearing aids.

I have been on the airgun forums for about 25 years.  I don't do guitars though.

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

I don't have any first variant but do have several 2nd variant (7?). They all offer half cock option which is plenty for casual plinking. One or two of them have a third notch that won't fire a pellet but does annoy our dog immensely.

The Sears variant with a ventilated rib looks cool but I won't get into a bid war over one.

I've considered a 157 but never dropped the coin. I like the hard hitting .22 for sure.

The wrap around grips fit my big long hands best.

I'm not slow or fast. I'm half fast. 😆 

teleamp thanked
ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

Here's my later variant. I have the portable shooting kit some old powerlets and some old pellets.

DSCN0260

ReplyQuote
Bill S.
(@tripleguy)

One of the few stock CO2 pistols that give you some muzzle flip when you fire it. Same valve assy as the 180. It responds well to port and polish of the brass valve body and exhaust valve work. A piece of ice maker tubing for the exhaust port gives you 25 fps increase alone.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

Got some powerlets and pellets for mine this mornig ... It shoots good, it has been well taken care of. I got to find some Pelloil.

ReplyQuote
Bill S.
(@tripleguy)

@teleamp

Peloil is unnecessary. Any 30wt non detergent oil or ATF will do. I use air tool oil since it is an air tool of sorts.

teleamp thanked
ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

This one is like it has been in a time capsule... The bore is nice and clean (I shot a dry patch through it on low power to clean), there is but 1 minute nick on the left side but it is so small that it is barely noticeable. It is a very nice start of a collection... I put a powerlet in this morning and shot 20 shots on full power and have shot it about once an hour since.... My assesment is that it is in excellent condition.

ReplyQuote
Pneumatic-Addict
(@pneumatic-addict)

Looks brand spankin' new. 👍 👍 

teleamp thanked
ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@pneumatic-addict

It's like I bought it from the kid that got it for his birthday last week... in 1955, or whenever it was made. 

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Well, there's no shortage of minty 150's but the cat's out of the bag. You pay dearly for them now. The last mint one I got was from a friend was $75. I prefer to leave the nicer ones put away and shoot a worn one.  My shooter is actually the first one I ever acquired. I found it in a fire damaged house one of my brothers bought and renovated. It was lying on top of the foundation wall in the basement. Around 1990

ReplyQuote
MDriskill
(@mdriskill)

I had a 157 with the one-piece barrel/breech years ago, really wish I'd kept it. Always loved the looks and balance of it, great build and finish quality, very accurate, good trigger.

It definitely had a healthy bark when fired though!

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

Seals are good, it has held pressure since I put the powerlet in yesterday and have taken about 30 full power shots. I will put a few drops of oil on the next powerlet. If I can't find Pellgun oil, I'll get some non detergent 30 weight motor oil.

OK, I kinda went off the deep end of the wading pool. 1st variant incoming and bidding on a second variant. I still want a 157 and a Medalist, in due time. And, a Sears 126 Ted Williams model 150...

I have always relished memories of the 150 I had as a kid... Now I have one again... happy...

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)

I have had a dozen of these guns and they have all been great shooters. They very easy to repair as well.

I would suggest ATF instead of motor oil.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jim-bentley

I have had a dozen of these guns and they have all been great shooters. They very easy to repair as well.

I would suggest ATF instead of motor oil.

Thanks... Now you tell me...  🙂    I just got back from the store with the 30 weight. Actually, I have some Pellgun oil on order and will only use the motor oil as backup...

And, what is nominal shot count per powerlet... ballpark, I have taken nearly 40 shots with 14 grain pellets...

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)

@teleamp

As I recall, around 40-50 would great milage.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

I think the Crosman 150 is as cool as they come... I'm geting 40 - 50 shots per powerlet. The trigger is nice, it can't be much more than 3 lbs and  breaks consistantly.... I have another 150 coming that has a nicer grip frame... if the trigger on that one is this good, I will swap grip frames and have one 150 in really good condition. The only mod planned is exotic wood grips.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

These things are addictive... 2 more incoming, threads to follow.

ReplyQuote
bee218
(@bee218)

Have two, one being a Ted Williams with vented barrel rib.  I agree with David, for my backyard these things bark.  Same as my old Sheridan E pistol in .20 cal.  Just a little loud for my surroundings.  Accurate and fun for sure.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@bee218

Luckily I live out in the country, the only one complaining about the noise is my dog... he'll get over it.

ReplyQuote
JW652
(@jw652)

Love the 150. It has a classic look and feel and reminds me of the Colt '03 pocket pistol. The last one I purchased was about 25 years ago and I paid more than $75 back then. After seeing some of the online "Covid" prices, have been scared out of the market. Can anyone advise me as to a "reasonable" price to pay for one? Is the second variant price about the same as the first?

Iirc, the rarer 157 is more expensive.   Thx.

ReplyQuote