What are Some of th...

Notifications
Clear all

What are Some of the Most Accurate 0.22 Rifles?

(@nalajr)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

The other day I was at my local shop and saw they had some big boxes of 22LR on the shelf.  They were 440 and 880 round boxes from Turkey or one of the former Soviet countries.  There was no price on them.

A sales guy came over and I asked him the price on the 880 round boxes and he said “$150.”  I didn’t think I heard him right and he repeated it. They were selling for $150 essentially 2 500 round boxes we used to buy for $22 a while back. 

Well that convinced me that my 10/22 shooting days are likely over.  Now I need something to fill the void.  I figured the way to go would be to get a nice, really accurate .22 or maybe a .25. and just forget about powder shooters for a long time.  

I don’t really care if it’s a break barrel or PCP.  I’d kinda like to get into the PCP stuff though.  
I want it to be accurate out to 100 yards cause that’s what I used to shoot with my 10/22.  I don’t expect these air rifles to be as accurate out at those distances like my 10/22 is.

I mainly just want something I can punch paper with and sometimes do it at the farther ranges like 100 meters.  

What is the most accurate rifle I can get for less than $700??  That’s my limit.  I wish it were higher, but it isn’t right now.  I’ve got time though.  I’d like to be shooting by August.

If you all don’t mind can you please give me some suggestions on what a good replacement would be for my Ruger 10/22?

thank you all kindly for your help.  

Topic Tags
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

An used Air Arms 400 or 410 off the classifieds can be had for that price.  That would be my pick.  I would look at older Air Arms and FX rifles myself.

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
(@teleamp)

I can't see a target 100 yards away, lol... I just saw a used Air Arms S400 listed for $500 somewhere, can't remember... 100 yards with an air rifle?

ReplyQuote
(@bf1956)

PCP? don't forget the pump, I myself prefer nitrogen. How ever the nitro can be difficult for some to obtain. Just something to think about. How about a quality springer?

ReplyQuote
(@nalajr)
Topic starter  

Are you talking about the Nitrogen gas ram airguns?

im not familiar with any of those at all. 

ReplyQuote
(@boscoebrea)

There are many accurate .22 pellet rifles....it does take a lot to shoot them accurately at 100 yds...If you get a PCP and want to stay in a $700 budget,you will need to get a hand pump,hand pumping is no problem if you only have to pump to say 3000psi....

I like my for PCP Gamo Coyote,better yet a Benjamin Marauder in.22.

Forget shooting a springer at 100yds.

I think you need to study up on pellet rifles,that way you know and get what You really want

Here's the thing ,a good pellet rifle will out shoot the Ruger at shorter distance just as a 6mm will out shoot a.22 at a longer distance....

Kinda like going trout fishing with a striper outfit...what I am trying to say is They are all different and Viva La Difference...

Get a HW 97 and be done with it.....

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade

Nala.- What you cannot get for that price is a repeater with a magazine, like the 10/22 in air.

A VERY accurate gun with the power and the precision to reach out to a 100 yards is the Talon/Condor, but those are single shots. They can be easily re-barrelled to take slugs, and are powerful enough to reach out MUCH further than 100 yards.

The AA and FX's are single purpose guns, the Talon/Condor will allow you to play with different barrel lengths, calibers, rifling design/pitch, etc.

And it would be easy to create 3D printed "thingies" for it.

😉

HTH

HM

ReplyQuote
(@harvey)

Whatever you end up getting, find something which likes a very heavy pellet. Obviously if you end up with a pcp your selection of heavy pellets will be very different (almost comically different) in weight from a spring piston rifle.  More weight ought to get you bucking the wind better.  If the pellet is a very good match to the rifle/barrel you're using.

Now I'm from the stone ages when it comes to airgunning.  I like the springers best.  But I've always been a fan of Sheridans which are .20 cal.  5 mm.  You could get a Benjamin in .22 if you don't mind the extra work of a multi stroke.  But I digress.

I have an oversprung Pro Sport I don't shoot much.  I recently got an HW97 I do shoot much.  I plink cans at a rested 75 yards while waiting for chipmunks to show somewhere in the yard at under that distance.  Mildot scope, range finder.  

Heaviest pellets you can shoot consistently.

Harv

ReplyQuote
(@jim-bentley)

If PCP is an option, check out the older Daystates!! Excellent trigger, great ergonomics, match grade accuracy and built like a tank.

ReplyQuote
(@nalajr)
Topic starter  

hey all. 

thanks for the advice and help.  I really appreciate it.  
I’d like to have a magazine PCP, but it’s not a make or break thing. 
I’d like to be able to shoot out to 100, but realistically my distances are likely to be 90% under 50 meters and 10% above, with maybe 1% being in the 75-100 meter range.  
I used to be able to shoot in my yard in Texas, but here in Delaware Ohio I live in an apartment complex and I’d likely have the FUZZ on me if I even tried shooting out in the yard.  So...unless I can find a farmer that’ll let me shoot on his land, I’ll be heading to the powder burners range and to go from 50 yards to 100, I have to pick up and move to the next area down the line, about 50 yards.  I don’t think I’d like moving all my stuff back and forth.  

Im gonna start checking and reading up on the PCP options in both 177 and 22 and USED too.  I don’t have to have a new rifle.  

SO many great air rifles available today!!

ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

Posted by: @nalajr

Are you talking about the Nitrogen gas ram airguns?

im not familiar with any of those at all. 

No, he's talking about large, 6000 psi cylinders of Nitrogen gas obtained through specialty gas suppliers. These are generally special order, and can be difficult to get.

ReplyQuote
CyberDyneSystems
(@cyberdynesystems)

My first PCP is  Benjamin Kratos in .22, and it's crazy accurate. It sells for about $600.00. You will need to invest in a way to refill it. Most affordable is a hand bicycle style pump, name brands are around $200.00, but can be found for half that price. Filling that big tank is a workout, but it's reliable and affordable. If rapid follow up shots is important, than the PCP is the way to go. If single shot is OK, then a good springer might make more sense.

ReplyQuote