What are some decen...

Notifications
Clear all

What are some decent scopes for $50 - $150

(@rambo03)
Topic starter  

I am looking to maybe get the Beeman Chief 2 and it doesn't come with a scope.  Want something decent but would like to stay in the $50 - $150 range.  Any suggestions yal?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback

Topic Tags
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

I like the Leapers/ UTG scopes on that general price range. Make sure to get one with an adjustable objective.

ReplyQuote
(@marflow)

this might be too much scope but the price is right and is AO

Buy Banner® 6-18x50 Riflescope and More | Bushnell

Rambo03 thanked
ReplyQuote
(@ribbonstone)

‘Dumb guy” logic.

1. Have to stick the middle of  the tube up high enough to clear magazine insertion. Too low, and you fight to load it...too high, and it’s just hanging in the air for no reason.

2. So long as it’s up, may as well go for a bigger objective lens rather than have the front end hanging up in space for no good reason. So far, the Chief-reapeater (like the Chief II, Chief II plus, Commnader) will clear the mag insertion AND allow for a 42-50mm objective lens with medium rings.

(OK...none of the mount/ring makers can agree on what constitutes "Low.,,,Medium...High".  MEdium #1 brand may not be medium #2 brand...but that's where I would start with the Chief II.)

3. Objective lens adjustment….even if you don’t use it, it’s no worse than a non AO scope and doesn’t have to cost much more.

4. Lot more choices in 1” tube scopes than 30mm scopes....and a lot more ring/mount solutions.

5. PCP’s are NOT trying to kill your scope with vibration/dual recoil. They seldom kill a scope. They don’t have to be an airplane’s “black box” (everything else is dead, but the black box survives) in strength.

6. MOST of the “cheap scopes” on PCP’s are still keeping me happy after a decade of use. Had a few “turds” that died….but had a few expensive turds that also died.

7. The FEWER bells-n-whistles, the less that can go wrong with a cheap scope. Pretty much keep to the turent cap, non lighted reticle, more simple cheap scopes.

8. Not nearly as happy with the “super cheap” scopes (the ones like the $30-$35 6-26XAO no-name-brand) as I’ve been with the $40-$60 simple 3-9X AO scopes.

9. I trust a couple of older Leapers (cheap scopes) enough to keep them “loose”. Buy a new rifle, I’ll mount one of the two “loose scopes” for testing. If it passes, will only then consider if I need a bigger...or different magnification….or higher quality...or prettier scope.

10. There is world of difference because of intended use. Low power. Back yard plinker, back yard pest shooter maybe only goes out to 30-35 yards.

If you don’t know what it’s going to turn out to be your main use, hard to go wrong with a 3-9X, 4-12X, or a 4-16. So far, have not found paper shooting to be hampered by more power, but have found the lack of field of view at high power to be a problem in hunting,.

11. The more scopes (various price ranges) you have...and with a willingness to swap them back and forth….if you don’t find a difference in shooting results….there ain’t no difference.

Rambo03 thanked
ReplyQuote
Bigbore
(@bigbore)

Posted by: @rambo03

I am looking to maybe get the Beeman Chief 2 and it doesn't come with a scope.  Want something decent but would like to stay in the $50 - $150 range.  Any suggestions yal?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback

I like this when getting a cheapy. LOTS of features. I made a YT video about mine, which I had to RMA but the replacement is exactly what I wanted in a cheap scope.

I won't be buying any tubes smaller than 30mm, the industry is moving away from them.

Simmons ProTarget 4-16x40 Riflescope | 17% Off 5 Star Rating w/ Free Shipping (opticsplanet.com)

MUSHY turrets but once they are set you're golden.

ReplyQuote
(@rambo03)
Topic starter  

@ribbonstone

Yea I was wondering about how heigh the rings needed to be to neatly clear the mag?  Your saying "medium" is the way to go then? 

ReplyQuote
(@pointyhead)

Athlon Neos, Simmons Pro Target or Whitetail, Mueller APV.

Never owned a Mueller myself, but they seem to be well liked, and meet all the criteria for a good PCP scope.

Simmons are bright, have a good reticle, and a poppy, vibrant image. Mine had ok clicks, but mediocre tracking. Definitely more of a set and forget type scope, and that it does well.

The Athlon Neos line of scopes deserve attention as being one of the few budget scopes I own that tracks properly and precisely. Pretty good glass, good clicks, and an overall great value. My parallax adjustment is very tight after sitting a while, but it loosens up with use. Having a small side focus knob does minimize leverage, but the location and ergonomics of the side adjuster make it easy to manipulate.

I had a Bushnell Banner that was pretty nice- except for a very weak erector spring. It tracked poorly, took multiple shots for adjustments to take effect, lost zero, etc. All in all, rather unenjoyable. Also had some poor experiences with Leapers. Had a scope RMA'd for what appeared to be an oring laying inside the middle of the tube. They replaced it straight up which was great, but the replacement did whatever it wanted as far as adjustment. The clicks did not correspond even remotely to a uniform distance downrange. Adjusting one turret could easily move both axes simultaneously. Bad news. I had a friend take it off my hands for a set and forget rig of his, and on his powder burner the reticle bounces around on its own. I've also tried to use their warranty on brand new defective hard goods (having apparently never encountered quality control). Initially they took ownership of their mistake and seemingly were going to make it right, but then they stopped responding to emails, phone calls went to a voice mailbox, and I never got a call back. I'd politely request a status update every two weeks, but after several months of silence on their end, I finally accepted that they didn't care, and gave up. I'm sure they won't miss my future contributions to their bank account, but they have gotten their last dollar from me.

Unfortunately quality across the board and across brands is a roll of the dice anymore, these are just one man's observations. Hope it's helpful. 

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

What he said, except I have a couple Muellers, and no Athlons.

And, I don't bother with factory warranties, if it's still in stock on AMZ (wink wink)

It's become very common to see small brands, if you order enough from China, they'll put your name on it (or a famous name 😉 )

Primary Arms has a good rep, among "Vendor Branded" scopes.

This, but I'd much rather have fixed 4x https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-6x-scope-with-the-patented-acss-22lr-reticle

Or this, but like everything else useful, it's OOS https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx6-1-6x24mm-sfp-rifle-scope-gen-3-illuminated-acss-22lr-reticle

ReplyQuote
RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

Lately I would tend to put more stock into where a scope was made (or it's price as these two are somewhat related) rather than what name was on it. I cannot state that this is an absolute. I can only relay my own experiences with scopes that I bought new. This is the only way to ensure that the scope wasn't abused before I got it and to eliminate hearsay.

I have never been disappointed by a scope made in the USA. I have owned at least a dozen Leupold over the years and an old Weaver made in El Paso Texas (B4, 4-power, 3/4" steel tube) that fall into this category. Decades of service with no failures.

I have seldom been disappointed by a scope made in Japan. I had two Bushnell and a Weaver T-36 that fell into this category. But I also had a Weaver 1-4X pistol scope that literally made things look like they were further away than they really were. No, I didn't have it mounted backwards.

Scopes made in the Philippines ran about 50/50 for me. I had two Simmons 44MAG scopes that suffered from weak/failed erector springs. I have a Burris XTR II that is an absolute joy. I had a Burris Fastfire 3 red-dot that was on my Beeman P1 for years. Never failed or wandered. I never had to touch the adjustments after the initial zero. Only sold it to upgrade further and try something new (Leupold red dot).

Scopes made in China have always failed me in some way. I've had two UTG, a BSA and a Bushnell. The first UTG wouldn't focus the whole field of view at the same time and suffered from barrel distortion (fish-eye). The second UTG was a replacement for the first and had the exact same issues. The Chinese Bushnell's crosshair would rotate with each shot. The BSA was a pistol scope atop my Beeman P1. After less than a month and less than one tin of pellets, the insides of the scope came loose and began rattling around. This was accompanied by a wandering zero and a dramatic increase in group size. It's replacement was sold unopened.

I won't be that guy that says "spend more, be happier" because a budget is a budget. I will say; spend that money on quality rather than quantity. By that I mean; get a scope with solid, repeatable adjustments that hold zero. I would even put image quality second to that. I don't men get crap glass but if the scope won't put two shots in the same place it doesn't matter how good of a view it is. Forget about high magnification, wide zoom range (or even variable power at all), 30 and 35mm tubes, target turrets, illuminated reticles, zero stops, etc.  All of those extras are just sucking the quality out of the scope or driving the price up. There are no free lunches in scopes. 

Rambo03 and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
(@rambo03)
Topic starter  

What about a Bushnell Banner AO 4-12x 40 or a Hawke Vantage 4x32AO 

What would yal pick? Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Both are around $90

ReplyQuote
(@rambo03)
Topic starter  

bump

ReplyQuote
(@mike)

I would go with the Hawke

I have this on a TalonP and i'm impressed, good scope. Solid clicks, repeats well, marked ranges are accurate & it is illuminated.

https://www.amazon.com/Hatsan-Optima-4X32CE-AO-Compact-Scope/dp/B01MR8IJ45/ref=sr_1_139?dchild=1&keywords=cheap+compact+scope&qid=1620248405&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-139

ReplyQuote
(@hammarhead)

@rambo03

I picked up a KonusPro 4x32 AO from Camera Land on sale for $54. Glass is clear, seems to track okay and it comes with rings. No Mildots if that's desired, but not a bad choice for the money. It seems right at home on my BSA Meteor. 

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

Wandering round looking for a cheap plinking scope after another model I bought was (redacted)

Here are a  few, starting with today's purchases.

First pick (bought 3, wow such cheap) is Centerpoint 1-4x20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AL1Y2IY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_9

lifetime warranty eh? Eye relief (in.): 4.5 - 5 - Product weight (oz.): 15.3

Second pick is unlimited lifetime and out of production LOL gimme something good on warranty LOL!

This MIGHT turn out to be a really nice scope, if'n it ain't 2 pounds

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBKV2QF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2

1st runner up (maybe better for OP) $42 Centerpoint with (are they all lifetime?)

Have one of these, just for shooting groups on new stuff, MUCH better than expected (and huge AF)

ReplyQuote
awilde
(@awilde)

I've been pretty satisfied with my Vector Optics Marksman 10x44 scope. Very clear and crisp glass, easy locking-rezero turrets, side focus, and fixed objective (which I find myself preferring more and more). It doesn't do all the fancy lightshow stuff, but it's solid for everything else I've used it for and the reticle is finely etched enough that it works reasonable for doing some reasonable holdover/under for different distances (something many cheaper scopes have been terrible at for me).

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vector-optics-marksman-10x44mm-rifle-scope.html

I've also enjoyed my Monstrum tactical prism scope which uses a 3moa circle-dot (do wish it was a 2moa, but still). That thing probably has the single clearest and brightest glass of any scope that I've ever used with a really good field of view. You don't get a huge amount of magnification potential with the prism scopes (5x usually is the highest, 3x average) but they're very nice scopes and Monstrum has them fairly affordable compared to most. What it doesn't afford you is a much precision of any kind for holdover/under control.

https://monstrumtactical.com/prism-scopes/

Going to be trying one other cheapie scope (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BBTS3JI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to see if it's any good or not for one my less used air rifles that I took off the SeeAll sight that was on it. Figure if this one isn't great then it isn't the end of the world, probably can't be any worse than the 4x NCStar compact scope that I tried (worst scope I've ever used, parallax is absolutely terrible and the glass clarity is even worse).

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

Bah... lost a big post. Furrgedaboutit.

That Centerpoint jumped to $80 price, would not buy. My 3 are going on

#1 Rack grade AR15 (whatever, anything will work inside 300)

#2 10/22 for checking chicken coop (setting up a night assault gun for neighbor with predator issues)

#3 Rack grade Galil ARM (already overweight) I'm tempted to put a dot on the ARM, but if I go to the trouble of getting a fancy mount...

Most of these off brands are the same stuff, with different levels of quality control. By that, I mean that "substandard parts" are sorted into categories, and some units end up with a bad EVERYTHING. You'll know, soon as you look inside, one scope had a reticle lens like knockdown drywall texture.

What AM I saying? There are more price categories than there used to be.

$600-scope reject-grade parts, which has spawned a batch of $200 reject-scopes.

wOw Im GeTtInG aLl tHe FeAtUrEs At LoW pRiCe!!!

Or, I'm getting a batch of junk which Vortex (ect) rejected.

Look at customer images in these reviews, I've been returning 2 scopes a week for issues like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-1-6x24-First-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B07GRF1B9P

https://www.amazon.com/Dandelion-Illuminated-Sunshade-Tactical-Picatinny/dp/B08MQLKQ8B/ref=pd_ybh_a_4

Ironically, the R9 is now running irons, after an unfortunate incident claimed the 70s MIJ Tasco. Doing the same with pistols, back to irons.

ReplyQuote