These 'ol rings -Be...

Notifications
Clear all

These 'ol rings -Beeman 5085

straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

These came on my used R10 with a Blue Ribbon 66R mounted in them. Former owner clearly had trouble with slipping and sliding going on before these were installed. I know this because these do not have a stop pin to make the 1 inch scar on the dovetail mount of my R10. Regardless he must have used what I think is JB Weld everywhere on these, including all the screws. I soaked them for 2 days in acetone and that didn't even put a dent in this stuff. I had a choice to pitch 'em or sit for hours breaking the crap away with a small pick set. I was torn between my options but didn't have the stomach to simply trash them. Soooo with the picks and a sized set of very small round wire brushes for the tap holes, I proceeded minutiously to attempt salvage.

After FINALLY clearing them the blueing was discolored and in areas, missing. Chucked them back into the acetone then deblued them completely with Birchwood Casey. Ran 'em through a denatured alcohol bath then tried to reblue with BC Perma Blue after heating with propane torch...no go, looked like crap. Soooo, repeated entire process this time with BC's Presto Mag. Pulled them from the cold water rinse...Walla! Not absolutely perfect but very nice. I was shocked LOL BTW, the scope saddles are aluminum and easily cleaned up nice without any procedure.

The moral of this story? there isn't one unless it is: To trash or not to trash... That and I was impressed with the Presto Mag over the Perma Blue.

The 5085 mounts first appear in the 1980 guide and I last see them in the '92-'93 guide. They are not in my '96 or 25th anniversary issue. So they last appear in the '94 or '95 guide which I have neither. Could be my '92-'93 guide was the last for them. I believe Jim in SWMO showed them at $87.50? in his '87 price list. Today that equates to somewhere about $230. Beeman touted them as the "Finest scope mounts in existence". I say they are clearly not magnum rated. The front saddle is stamped Made in Germany which would be after the wall came down. Otherwise it would be W. Germany? I believe that puts them after my Rafael era R10. I've never paid these mounts any attention and have never seen them aside from the poor quality pictures in the guides. Bet they would be fantastic on a lower powered springer (with scope stop) or pneumatic.

5085 Mounts

What I started with:

Mission accomplished LOL

Note the windage adjustment on the front mount And shark toothed clamps. I don't have a frigging clue what the purpose of the short little screw at the back of the rear mount is for(right pic)

Just thought I'd post this to share. I don't have any use for them at the moment but they are safely sealed away for if I ever do.

Jim in SWMO thanked
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

You did a hell of a job of getting those rings back in shape, Bo! They look great. And yeah, my '87 price list did show the price for those rings at $87.50 "suggested retail price". 😲 Very pricey stuff for back then!

I read the description in your pic for the rings and it sounds like that screw might be the "locking screw" that's mentioned. Not exactly sure how it's supposed to be used but I wonder if maybe the head was supposed to sit in one of the stop holes on the R10's scope rail and act like a scope stop pin does. Does it maybe replace the screw in the rear ring that holds the saddle to the clamp base and the head fit into those stop holes on the rail? The description does say it "locks the mount into position" on the Beeman HW, Weihrauch, and Beeman R1, R7, R8 rifles. Also, the fact that it says to remove it for some other makes of AGs kind of lends to that thought as not all AGs of that time period had stop holes.

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)

It looks like Beeman farmed out those mounts to weaver or warne.  Have to give you props for going through all that trouble.  They would make great rings for a .22 rimfire.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

Thank you Jim.

I should have mentioned that was the "suggested" retail as you stated. I'm sure they would be less at the dealer's counter as always giving us a warm fuzzy feeling LOL

From the guides description as you've pointed out the screw would be for locking on R series rifles. "removed or modified" from the ad's wording, for other rifles is ambiguous to me. Especially "modified". That little rear screw has no scarring or marks on it so maybe not used in that manner. It did have the little 5090 scope stop seen in most Beeman guides but only accurately depicted in the '96 & '97 color aniv. issues. Wonder how much more our man Doc would have sold if he had used accurate color photos throughout the years?

From this pic, the screw doesn't appear to do anything. I got to thinking maybe there is a part that mounted to the screw at 90 degrees to land in a stop hole as you said. Perhaps it is missing or broke at some point? Dunno. Little mystery right there I tell 'ya LOL

R10 Mount

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@sonnysan

Posted by: @sonnysan

Have to give you props for going through all that trouble.

Thanks Sonny. I was thinking maybe I just exposed myself as being nuts for all that trouble. Probably accomplished that some time back though LOL

I can find only one article on the www for the 5085 mounts which is a posting from the yellow forum archives in 2014 from Nunyabiz1

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/yellow/fwb-124-127-rings-help-nunyabiz-t215983.html

In his post he mentions EAW. When you click his link HERE, they look just like them. I don't see any pricing but I wonder if those are the same as mine? Don't even see them in Google images except for mine. I'd say they are very rare and you're right; they would make excellent mounts on a .22 rf.

Final edit: I do see the pricing for those- €251,99= $304.52 USD if I converted correctly. Jesus Christ! However, I do not see any windage adjustment screws on those...

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite

Possibly one step closer, Bo. In that last link you posted (the one for "Bignami") there was mention of "Apel" that triggered a memory. I've seen the Brits mention Apel scope mounts so did a quick search on them. From what I've found your Beeman scope rings may be made in Germany by EAW (Ernst Apel). Here's a couple of the links I found plus the search results. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any PDF manuals or anything that might shed some light on how that screw is used. But you might still find these links interesting.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/mounts/shopby/manufacturer-eaw/suitable_for_rails-11_mm_dovetail.html

This link shows the closet match to your rings but don't appear to be windage adjustable like yours. Maybe that option is no longer available.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/eaw-roll-off-mount-for-11mm-dovetail-26-mm.html

And here are the search results.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=D9svYISCD8KGtQbG2aDgAQ&q=ernst+apel&oq=ernst+apel&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyAggAMgQIABBDMgYIABAWEB4yCAgAEBYQChAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgcIABBHELADOgUIABCRAjoICAAQsQMQgwE6BQgAELEDOggILhCxAxCDAToFCC4QsQM6CAguEMcBEK8BOgIILjoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoLCC4QxwEQrwEQkwJQh7UlWNXFJWDVyCVoAXACeACAAZQDiAHRD5IBCTAuOC4yLjAuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjExdXCo_buAhVCQ80KHcYsCBwQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

EDIT: Whoops! I have to backtrack a little here. After scrolling down in that link for the rings closest to yours it does say in the specs for them that they have adjustable windage. Although I can't see any screws like yours have for the function.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

Great find Jim! Thanks for the assist.

I can see the adjustment screws zooming in on the second pic of the pair you zeroed in on. Slightly machined differently on front bases. After just measuring and if I chose the closest options (out to the right), I believe they would be $229 + 19.99 Fedex tracked and insured, that comes to $248.99. No German stamping on those and does not reflect nostalgic antiquity to whom they may be worth... I struck gold man! That's my story and I'm sticking to it 🀣 For whatever they are worth I'm glad I didn't pitch 'em 😊 Cool little mounts with a butt load of machining on them.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

You're welcome, Bo. Not much else to do here today except watch the snow melt anyway. And I kind of buggered my shoulder scooping some of it so I could get out yesterday so shooting in the basement is off the list for a day or three πŸ™. Besides, I kind of enjoyed the search, actually. 😜 

Yep, now that you mention it, I do see what looks like one of the windage screws. Didn't see that before, lol. Good spot!

Lol, and here we thought that $87.50 sounded expensive! That current price should help you feel like all your effort to restore them was worth it. And yeah, those are definitely way too cool to just toss out.

Now, if we could just figure out that little screw! LMAO!!

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

I love a good scavenger hunt! LOL

Jim, I hope your shoulder gets well quickly. I'll share a little here...My world is more laboratory than range due to the cold, pandemic etc. The guns that I've been building represent me moving the hell out of this 'country neighborhood' when I put my place up for sale. Guns are taboo here. That would also represent being able to pee in my own yard as well as many other possibilities...like maybe serenity. During this period, I've learned much from so many here. I've been shooting the quality air guns since '86 but I have never dove in this deep before. So what if I have a few pellet dings in my armoire and a couple in the wall...priceless! (I'll fix those before I sell hahahaha)

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite

Thanks for the well wishes on the shoulder, Bo. I'm hoping the same. Especially since my finger seems to have "accidentally" pushed the order button on a new R7 while I was looking at them on PA's website this afternoon. πŸ€” 😜 😎  

And I hope you can find a gun friendly place to move to so you can just step outside and enjoy those shooters you've been nurturing! And where you can damn well "water" the trees whenever the feeling strikes! LOL  Wish I could shoot in the backyard here but city ordinance forbids such things 🀬. But I guess as long as I can shoot in the basement I'll survive, lol. πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

Posted by: @jim-in-swmo

my finger seems to have "accidentally" pushed the order button on a new R7

Unbelievable! Just got an email -and thanks to your slippery finger it appears as though you snagged me one too! Been waiting on those to come in πŸ˜‰ 

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Posted by: @straitflite

thanks to your slippery finger it appears as though you snagged me one too!

Ha ha...And I'll bet I won't get any discount for ordering multiples, either! πŸ˜œ

Yeah, I've been waiting quite a while for them to get some more in, too. Seems like the better part of a year now thanks to covid. This R7 will be the gussied up sister to my plain Jane HW30S, lol. Have a Williams peep inbound (Tuesday, hopefully) for the 30S so might just slip the scope off of it onto the R7. Or maybe I'll start a hunt for a new one for the R7. Decisions, decisions. πŸ€” LOL

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite

BTW, Bo. When I saw that they had the R7 back in stock I fired off a quick email and asked about the stock. Before I ordered one I wanted to know if they had the same stock as the images on the website or if they were the new HW style with the chunk out of the bottom of the butt, like the newer HW30S and 50S. The reply I got was that they had the same stock as the website shows. Since my payment is traveling by snail mail (I know, I'm a friggin' dinosaur, lol) you'll have yours before me so I'll be waiting and watching to see what yours looks like when you get it. πŸ‘ 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

You got it Jim. Mine is scheduled for Tuesday delivery. Only a 280 mile trip.

I put a JM grade 4 stock on my .20 50S that came with the notched stock. Thing is though, in my lab πŸ˜‰ the 57 .22 kicks the .20 50S in the pants big time. All my guns have JM Hornet kits and after playing with different seals, I put new OEM seals back in and not only are they much smoother in cycle, I actually picked up hair more than 1 fpe. I would have settled for less ME for the difference.😎 Think I’m really going to like the .177 50.

ReplyQuote