Speaking of Vortek....

Notifications
Clear all

Speaking of Vortek...Edited  

RSS

straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-02-20 16:40:35  

I don't quite get what the PG3 kits have over the PG2, which is not available anymore.

My take away from reading the marketing is that the PG3 has the option to lower the power. I went back there to read the many reviews on what people were getting with HW50s's in .22. PG3 is the only offering now -and all those reviews are gone.

Because of the higher caliber I figure it would be safe to tune it to the hotter side.

I need a bunny buster in my yard as they are everywhere. Makes it difficult to plant successfully in the spring. They attract stray cats too, and both drive my dog bat**it crazy.

I see that Jim M. has a full power offering for the HW50. Has anyone tried it?

Topic Tags
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
2020-02-20 17:35:28  

I have one of JM's older SG2 kits in my .177 HW50S. It was the full power kit he was selling before the current Hornet kit he has now. Not sure what the difference is between the two but I'd be interested in hearing what the Hornet kit is like, too.

FWIW, I'm using the factory seals with the SG2 kit (no spacing) and with the 7.87gr AA Express it's shooting at 765fps for just about 10¼ft-lbs. Accuracy is great and the shot cycle is so nice I can nearly watch the holes appear in the target at only 9yds in the basement.

Regarding the Vortek PG3. From what I've read about it, the top hat has "steps" on the flange and the spring end has an open coil. By turning the top hat so that the open coil is seated on a different "step" it changes the power output. So I guess it's kind of an "adjustable power" kit without the need for adding spacers like with a traditional spring kit.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-02-20 18:43:22  

Thanks Jim.

You and I were discussing the SG2 kit from Jim in the HW50, some time back. I bought that gun but my son talked me out of it. I plan to buy another 50 in .177 and drop that sweet kit in it. I will also buy AA Express pellets. I saved your info from that thread on the HW50.

I'm entertaining (strongly) the HW57 that I also touched on and stepping it up a little, only in .22 for that one. I just hate to spend $500 (PA) for it but AOA no longer carries it; nor does Krale. I emailed Krale twice about buying both guns if they could get the 57. Seems I remember someone posted here that Krale found them one. I received no answer for either email.

England isn't much cheaper even if you could get it shipped from there but alas, none that I'm aware of will do it anyway. German prices are great but they don't ship to USA either. So my education is furthered....LOL

Regarding the new PG3, I can't help but feel that kind of kit is just plain unnecessary. Why would anyone buy say, an SHO with a thicker adjustable tophat when 2 lower powered kits are offered? Could it be to cut cost by using a 'one spring fits all'?

It may turn out soon that I will be provide you with a review of Jim's current offering in the aforementioned powerplant. Just my current thinking of course. I still have a few questions.

Edit: I very recently obtained scopes for both the 50 & 57. New old stock time capsules. I'll post on the scopes by themselves sometime this weekend. Just need guns 😉 

Edit: In retrospect, I decided to tone this post down. I don't have enough knowledge on tune kits to pass an in depth opinion and that isn't fair to Vortek or other readers. I'm leery of marketing I guess. None asked me to, I just think that the more alternatives out there...the better.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
2020-02-20 21:30:28  

Lol...Now that you mention it, I remember that. I hope you end up with a 50S that shoots as nice as mine does. And if you do get one of JM's Hornet kits I'd sure like to hear what you think of it.

That doesn't sound good about the HW57. I hope it's not a case of HW doing away with it. It still shows up on their website so maybe it's just not a good seller and dealers aren't carrying it anymore. I'm with you on the price PA wants for it, that's too steep for my blood. Have you tried calling AoA to see what they have to say about it? I saved a link to the 57 on their website some time ago and it says it's out of stock and to call for availability.

I'll be watching for your scope post.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-02-21 05:09:44  

I called for availability with that search and they said it was a dead link. Sure enough, if you go to their website first -and then search there are no offerings. I don't want to buy used because they supposedly fixed the tap loader in newer models. It might be a case of the heart wants what it wants...

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
2020-02-21 14:26:06  

@straitflite

"It might be a case of the heart wants what it wants..."

Lol, I suppose so, Bo. But for what PA wants for it, my heart will have to go without. 🙁

Hey, have you looked at Sportwaffen Schneider in Germany? They say they ship worldwide. I haven't dealt with them myself but I "think" there are some members here who have. You might start another post and ask if anyone has dealt with them. Oh, one other thing about them. You'll have to send them a photo or scan of your driver's license to prove your over 18 to buy a gun from them.

They have the HW57 in .22, although they show it low in stock. They have it with either standard sights (55HW57) or fiber optic (55HW57FO). Their prices seem pretty good, about $293 if I did the conversion right. But I'm not sure what their shipping cost is like. Here's the link to the standard sight version HW57. (If this isn't in English, on the upper right hand side you can select the language so you can read it.)

They also have the HW50S, but it looks like they only have the .22 version. But if you wanted to get one of those from them you want to be careful as they not only have them with the good steel sights (with inserts) or fiber optics, but they also sell the M/II version which Does Not have the Rekord trigger. Personally, I'd get a 50S from PA since they have a decent price on it. And you can use a 10% off discount code on it, too. That makes it a pretty good deal. You also get free shipping, too.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-02-21 15:29:24  

I appreciate you digging that up Jim. Funny enough though, when I went to register on their site a couple days ago, a bunch of countries are listed but not the USA. We can't even register. I emailed them and they replied that they do not deliver to the USA. I included my birth date but at least they replied to my email.

Bo

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
2020-02-21 15:52:42  

Well that's a bummer. I guess they lied about shipping "worldwide" if they won't ship to the US. But I was sure that I'd seen someone here mention ordering from them before, but maybe it was parts and not an airgun. I guess that leaves us with only PA and Airgun Depot that have the HW57 then, as far as I know.

BTW, as for buying used. I'm not sure I'd be too bothered by that. IIRC, the early 57s had a plastic pop-up loading gate which was later switched to a metal one. Whether that switch to the metal loading gate had anything to do with the issues they had with that part, I don't know. But if I were going for a used one I'd definitely look for one with the metal loading gate.

Well, good luck with your search. Hope you manage to find one at a decent price.

ReplyQuote