Some questions for ...

Notifications
Clear all

Some questions for Springer enthusiasts.  

RSS

Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-05-15 21:57:14  

A few questions for Springer enthusiasts.
1. Do you shoot in competition?
2. Do you shoot only at targets?
3. Do you hunt with your Springer's?
If so your go to rifles.

I don't do competition, shoot at targets several times a week and hunt when opportunities arise. I have four go to models of rifles for hunting.

Hatsan Carnivore or 130QE .30
The 125 in .22 or .25
150 sniper vortex .22
Xisico XS-28M

Six rockchucks Friday morning with the 135 Carnivore.

20200515 184532

ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
2020-05-15 22:29:26  
Posted by: @septicdeath

If so your go to rifles.

I don't do competition, shoot at targets several times a week and hunt when opportunities arise. I have four go to models of rifles for hunting...

Hi, all good questions!

1. I've never shot in a competition. However, I did have some good success before, shooting some small spinner targets at 50 yards, using one of my R1's. So, maybe the two of us would have had a chance in Hunter FT or Piston Class. (???).

2,3.  I used to shoot at targets, and I used to hunt. In fact, personally, I don't see how you can do what's considered to be proper, humane hunting without doing some serious target practice from time to time. In my case, my hunting was limited to squirrels.

My go-to hunting springers in the past were a Marksman 70 with the upgraded trigger unit (kind of like a Beeman R10), a couple of R1's (all in assorted calibers), and an RWS52 in .22 caliber, all of them tuned.

All of those guns got sold when I needed some cash in a hurry, to move.

However, I now have a fully-tuned RWS 34 Panther T05 in .22 caliber. Although I stopped hunting years ago, with its power and accuracy, I feel sure my 34 could do well with small game hunting as well as targets. 

I just don't need to hunt to put meat on the table. However, if that ever changed, I'd probably go back to squirrel hunting again. FWIW, though, my choice of convenient hunting spots isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
2020-05-16 14:38:38  

I've only hunted with my springers.  Steps I've followed forever:

1.  Clean barrel and check stock screws.  Invest in a good cleaning rod.  I lube all my pellets with krytech:

https://smile.amazon.com/Dewey-Rods-17C-26-Nylon-Coated/dp/B001OPLEM8/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=dewey+coated+rod&qid=1589653734&sr=8-16

https://smile.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Lubricant-Squeeze-Bottle/dp/B00Z779I4A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=krytech&qid=1589653858&sr=8-1

2.  Sight in gun at distance you usually shoot game.  Invest in a good set of targets:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKER0Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

3.  Refine your technique if you miss the target.  If you miss two out of three times, it might not be the gun:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=WR100

4.  Mounts:  If you are shooting a Beeman R-1 or higher, invest in BKL 260 mounts (droop or non-droop).  Torque down screws to 50-55 inch ft. lbs.  

https://www.bkltech.com/BKl-1-6-Screw-Unitized-Dovetail-Mount-p/bkl-260.htm

If there is no live target, the guns do not get shot.  Springers of choice in the last decade:

1.  Beeman Laser MKIII .177

2.  Beeman RX-1 with deluxe stock .177

3.  Theoben TB-90 .22

4.  Theoben Dual Magnum .22

5.  Beeman R-1AW .20

6.  Theoben RA-800 .22

ReplyQuote
270windude
(@270windude)
2020-05-16 23:18:00  

Sonnysan that’s a very impressive list of springers there. Extremely classy.  Here I am with my CFR lol. 

ReplyQuote
Fred J
(@fred-j)
2020-05-17 09:00:49  
Posted by: @septicdeath

If so your go to rifles.

I shoot my TX200 in Field Target competition

I shoot targets with this rifle on my home range out to 55 yards

I typically don't hunt with the TX200, but if a chipmunk, squirrel or rabbit shows up on my home range...

For pesting, I go to my Marauder PCP, because it has a ten-shot clip.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
2020-05-19 07:21:03  

I have never shot competitively, but fortunately have enough outdoor property to shoot on, as well as a 42 foot indoor basement range, so I have the luxury of being able to shoot almost anytime I choose (indoors a lot due to weather conditions).

Outdoors, I like shooting various reactive targets... I have an area where I shoot where I marked off the yardages from 0 to 80 yards... and there is still plenty of room after the 80 yards, if desired.

I like shooting field targets, spinning targets, bell targets, empty steel cans, and aluminum cans... when my son was younger, we would set up the fast food kid's "happy meal" toys that he accumulated, and have a blast shooting them !

Indoors, I mainly shoot paper targets using homemade box pellet traps stuffed with rags, or my metal pan filled with electricians' duct seal... I also have an RWS metal magnetic duck pellet trap, that I shoot at with certain airguns, limiting that to lower powered models.

I don't hunt, but occasionally have to eliminate some chipmunks running amok !

I have a lot of squirrels running around, since I live on a large wooded lot, but as long as they are not destructive, I live them alone... I enjoy watching them, constantly foraging for food !

My favorite springers are (not in any particular order):

1. HyScore 810M recoiless match rifle, .177

2. FWB124, .177

3. R9TK, .177

4. HW95TK, .22

5. R1TK, .22

6. Webley Eclipse, .177

7.  HW77K, .20

8. TX200, .177

Here are a few of my favorite targets.

Indoor Airgun Targets
Frank Bobbio Bell Target 4
Frank Bobbio Bell Target 3
IBM Bell for Airgun Bell Target 16
IBM Bell for Airgun Bell Target 13
My Quigley FT Bell Target 1
Beeman Swinging Targets (#4050)

ReplyQuote
rpryor
(@rpryor)
2020-05-19 10:42:58  

I've never shot in a competition.

I usually shoot at targets, either paper or just out and about plinking at small objects.

I have used my springers to hunt, but only rabbits or squirrels.

My go to is a Santa Rosa Beeman R10 in .20 caliber topped with a Leupold 3X9X33 EFR.

ReplyQuote
Harvey
(@harvey)
2020-05-20 23:43:39  

I tried competitions a few times.  It's fun but way out of my way these days.

I regularly hunt with my springers.

Small pest birds:

HW55

HW35

P1 (yes, really)

B20 (Chinese R9 copy)

Everything else:

R11

FWB124

HW77K

BSA Supersport

TX200