Notifications
Clear all

SLUG Table – a spec list of what slugs are out there in .22cal  

RSS

JungleShooter
(@jungleshooter)
2019-11-24 00:50:24  

SLUG Table – a spec list of what slugs are out there in .22cal

I firmly believe we are entering a historic moment for airgunning.

And Nielsen Specialty Ammo lead the way.  
With Nick’s dedication to serve us airgunners he took the risk to buy hugely expensive machines – so we can save money....!   ;D

Up until the dramatic price drop in slug prices that Nick pioneered for us, slugs really were not much more than a novelty for a few niche shooters.  :-[  It was just too expensive to shoot that stuff if you didn’t have a knack for playing with liquid lead – 15 cents a shot at best, but usually more like 25c, 40c, and even more than that.   :(

Effective hunting range will hugely increase, and target shooting will need to invent new disciplines.
I just went on a hike into the hills that surround my city to scout out a place to set up a 100 yard range! How exciting a time to be into airgunning!!

I think we all know that the slug will not replace the waisted diabolo pellet – short and mid range accuracy of pellets is stellar, and there are many situations were we don’t need 25FPE knockdown power to punch through a critter’s head the size of an egg, or to hole out paper that is 0.01" thin. But when the wind blows our pellets drift off like crazy with their poor BCs. And at 100 or 150 yards there isn’t that much power left for doing substantial damage. So, pellets and slugs have their places where they shine! :)

This week I have taken the plunge into the slug flood that we get to revel in now. All six NSA offerings, the lightest of the Griffins, and H&N is on preorder.

With 15 slug makes and models soon on the way to Peru I am quite confident that I will find at least ONE SLUG that groups well at 100 yards with my gun. And that’s all I need!*

It helps me to see what’s out there when I have all the info in a table to compare it:

Prices  |  Weights  |  Diameters available  |  Type of base and tip  |  Shipping  |  Samplers  |  Discounts

So, I made a SLUG Table, to help me, and to share it with you.  :)

The SLUG Table is a three-page PDF, but I’ll put out a photo of each page as well, but the quality is real low in comparison to the PDF.

Happy Christmas shopping. This year it’s so easy to tell everybody and their uncle what to get me...!  :)

Matthias

▲ You can get to the attached PDF by clicking on the link below! ▲

*Well, we all know that once we get to our dream state, there is the next dream ahead us. After 100 yards I will want to group at 150 yards, or shoot a PP700S-A out to 100 yards..., the horizon is the limit...!

Hooligan
(@hooligan)
2019-11-25 14:36:37  

I am very interested in trying slugs in air guns. To date I have not gone down this rabbit hole but soon will be testing slugs at longer distances.

Oh how I love accuracy using today's air rifles! There is just something about using air as the power source that is so rewarding.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
JungleShooter
(@jungleshooter)
2019-11-25 16:10:32  

Hooligan, 😊

you say it's rewarding to use air as power source.

Yes! And I'd add:  For many shooters air is the only power source they can use. Because of legal cr@#, or because some pesting situations are too dicy to use a PB. No prob for an AG!!  😊

And how many gun owners can shoot a PB in their backyard...? — Comparing that with the amount of people who could shoot an AG in their backyard produces a wide smile on my face!  😊

🔶Now with the slugs we can reach out to hit pests that before were simply out of reach.

🔶And we don't have to pack up when the wind picks up, we simply load high BC slugs and keep shooting.

🔶And if medium or medium-long-range shots on tough critters were not a good idea because our pellets had not much energy left in them once they got out to that mid-range..... —

Well, now we load a slug that after 50 yards still has 86% energy left (the pellet barely 60%). At 100y the pellet is down to a measly 39% of its initial muzzle energy — the slug goes strong at 3/4 of its initial power.

Now, of course, for some shooting situations we want our projectiles to loose energy quickly! But it's nice to have the option of the oppositeretain energy for a smashing impact at long range! Even hitting with 50% power at targets at 240 yards!

I'm thankful to be alive at this time of airgun history — exciting times! 😊

Matthias

ReplyQuote
Hooligan
(@hooligan)
2019-11-25 21:59:39  

Yes,  exciting times for sure and having such options is icing on the cake, sort of speaking.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
EricinMaine
(@ericinmaine)
2019-11-28 18:59:47  

I first saw the H&N slugs in the latest PA catalogue.They will be so easy to aquire when they come into stock.  My first thought  for their use was in the Korean guns because of their higher power and barrel sizing. I remember some people had used .22 rimfire  bullets in the Evanix AR-6 Huntingmaster rifle with good results.I hope people will report in about what they find works well in what rifles.Thank you for your post.

EricinMaine-

ReplyQuote
JungleShooter
(@jungleshooter)
2020-05-23 04:20:21  

❌ I have updated the Slug Table! 😊

HERE is the link: 

https://airgunwarriors.com/community/airgun-talk/%f0%9f%94%b4-slug-table-specs-prices-links-to-over-200-slugs-in-22cal/

🔶 Prices as low as 5 cents per shot

🔶Weights as low as 15 grain (.22cal) and as heavy as 55 grain

🔶Some promising new designs

🔶207 variations in .22 cal

🔶Active links to the sales pages of each slug variation

Matthias

➔ Link to the post with the new Slug Table: 

https://airgunwarriors.com/community/airgun-talk/%f0%9f%94%b4-slug-table-specs-prices-links-to-over-200-slugs-in-22cal/

ReplyQuote