Notifications
Clear all

Roundball accuracy?  

Benny76
(@benny76)
Topic starter  

Who's shooting roundball ammo and what type. I have a .45 Hatsan Hercules Bully and I couldn't get it to shoot good at all with any slugs ( even though the .45 bully has no choke on the barrel for slug shooting) I watched a few videos of Him Chapman hunting mid and large size game with Hornady Roundballs. I tried the Hornadys in my bully which seemed completely innacurate with slugs and low an behold the gun shoots pretty accurate inch groups at 25 and sometimes less with many going hole in hole. Still wishing I could find a good slug that shoots good in my Hatsan bully but H&N Roundballs for muzzleloaders are cheap to shoot. Now H&N is making Pioneer Roundballs with graphite coating made specific for the airgun market. I just ordered some and plan to see how they shoot in my bully as well. I will do a comparison between the Hornady brand for muzzleloaders and the H&N pioneer for airgunners!! Any info from others shooting Roundballs on accuracy and range You guys or gals are shooting Roundballs at?

PY P 1497 HN Pioneer Pellets 457 1533561540
1410991432 Black Powder and Round Balls packaging

JW652 and scratchit thanked
awilde
(@awilde)

I have pretty good luck on my .50 CVA Optima V2 muzzle loaders (have both the discontinued pistol and more recently a LR rifle) using thicker patches and roundball. The pistol is really good at 25 yards, still pretty decent at 50. Working the rifle up to 100 yards now. Use a Lee mold to cast the round balls for it.

Benny76 and scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
James Perotti
(@jpsaxnc)

I had done a little shooting with round balls, that were breech loaded. I recovered some of the balls from a target that had an X shaped pattern from the rifling on them, the balls had been a lose enough fit in the bore to roll a little when fired, causing the X shaped pattern that may have effected the accuracy of the balls.

scratchit and Benny76 thanked
ReplyQuote
awilde
(@awilde)

For the purposes of an air gun they probably aren't going to be all that practical since your not have the amount of force behind them to expand the lead into the rifling grooves that you get with an actual firearm. I had tried gamo roundballs once before with my airmax 2 pistol and they usually just rolled around loosely. I did have one roundball that had to be mashed into the breech and the end result was that it never left the barrel and needed to be tapped back out with a plastic rod from the muzzle. Now you might try using one felt cleaning pellets behind a roundball (or maybe even something like some cream of wheat packed behind it) to mimic a patched roundball and see if that might have helped it, though again not being a powder burner it probably wont do as much.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Benny76
(@benny76)
Topic starter  

@alex-from-upstate-ny            

No brother that's what I'm saying is at this point my .45 bully which is actually a.454 diameter barrel shoots the Hornady .454 Roundballs for muzzleloader absolutely amazing accurate and with great power no patch used. ( goes clean through 3 1 Inch boards then through the wall of the garage and still dented my fxdf Harley's fuel tank though thankfully it still holds fuel! The only thing I could get to shoot this reliable and accurate in my Hercules Bully has been Roundballs. I've tried 8 different cast and swaged slugs and no slug shot close to what this roundball ammo does

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Frmboy1
(@frmboy1)

Try using .457 sized slugs. My .45 Bully was doing the same thing and I tried nielsen 200gr .457 slugs and they were hole in hole accurate at 45 yards.

ReplyQuote
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)

I have shot round balls in several airguns in different calibers from .177 to .50.  They can be quite accurate.

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)

If you do find a good match in the small bores (.25 or under)...only have one good thing to say about ball:

Even in the dark,while running,fumbling with a single shot....you can't load a round ball backwards.

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)

I used to have a Shark .22 CO2 pump repeater that was LOADS of fun, and remarkably accurate with lead round balls.  I think the magazine held 24 balls, which was just about equal to the CO2 reservoir.  Easiest bulk-fill gun I ever owned.  Just screw on a paintball tank, screw it off, and Bob's your uncle.

I've also had good luck with Gamo .177 lead rounds in my Dan Wesson rifled 715 snubbie, using the BB cartridges.  Recovered rounds indicate good engagement with the rifling.

I also really like the Gamo lead rounds in my Hahn Super Repeater, which is a smooth-bore lever action CO2 repeater.  The only issue with this gun is, if the muzzle is pointed down, the lead ball will roll out of the barrel, because the magnet BB holder doesn't work on lead.  It was made for steel BBs, which run around .172-.175, but the gun is over 50 years old, and .177 lead rounds seem to work just fine.  (I have ruined a couple of cheapie CO2 BB pistols trying Marksman steel BBs, which run a full .177.)

BTW, Gamo lead rounds are far superior to Beeman Perfect Rounds, which are neither Perfect, nor Round.

H&N Excite Smart Shot lead BBs average .174, about the same as steel BBs, and work well in CO2 BB repeater pistols, but they are a bit spendy.

ReplyQuote
csitas
(@csitas)

@jiminpgh hello,  I shoot a 50 dragon claw. It'll shoot 1.5 to 2"at fifty yds. Hand cast round ball .With the trigger I'm stuck with I don't see getting much tighter. Tried Neilson slugs  and so far I would say it doesn't like them. At the same yds they'll shoot high to the right about three inches. Can't say that they group at all. I'm not alarmed at all cause I've killed several deer with my black powder with round balls . They just shoot and they do the job.

ReplyQuote
timjohnston
(@timjohnston)

Way back when, I owned a Webley C1 carbine(English stock) in .22 had and old Marksman 4x 1 inch scope with a AO. I do not remember the round ball. I think it was Eley, but the gun loved it, so easy to load. Gun as a track driver out to 30 yards plus or minus. Same gun loved the old blue tin .22 Eley wasp. I love my modern stuff, but some of those memories are non-replaceable.

tim   

ReplyQuote
Hotair
(@hotair)

I use the Ballistic Specialties round shotgun reloading lead balls in my 9mm Career Ultra and have excellent accuracy. Have yet to try them in my 357/9mm Benjamin Bulldog yet due to typical Crosman-Benjamin PCP leaky gun syndrome that really needs to be addressed first.

Have tried Gamo 177 round balls in many guns and mostly were only so-so except for 10 meter rifles such as the Walther LGR which seems to shoot just about everything everything great.

I have some H&N round balls that I haven't gotten a chance to try yet.

Might help if you do the dimpling of lead round balls by squashing them and rubbing them between 2 coarse screens.

ReplyQuote