Please recommend co...

Notifications
Clear all

Please recommend compact air rifle scope that will focus down to 20 feet or less

teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

Looking for a compact/short scope for a R7 that will work for the close stuff. Nothing over $2K please... No electric, no night vision.

RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

I don't know if the one I'm thinking of could be considered compact/short but here goes. I have a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 EFR on a Beeman R9 (HW95). I like it a lot. It will focus that close, even on 9x. Their specs say 10 yards but I got 6. This could be due to where my ocular lens is focused due to my eyesight. Your mileage may vary. Don't be afraid to turn the parallax dial past the last number. There's useful range down there. Their webpage claims its 11.43" long and 12.1 ounces. It is well under $2K. Their webpage lists the MSRP at a penny under $400. With some internet searching you should be able to do a bit better than that.

Here's a thread I started on it a little while back: https://airgunwarriors.com/community/airgun-talk/r9-update/#post-45284

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)

I really like crossbow scopes for low-powered springers. Crossbow scopes are pretty much immune to springer recoil. (Have you ever seen a crossbow in slow motion? BRUTAL!) Most are 4X32 with a fixed parallax of 50 yds, and they usually come with a very usable multi-line reticle. Horton and Tru-glo have the best optics. If you really need super-short focus, you an back the front objective lens out with a $10 Amazon lens tool.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rockdoc65

I don't know if the one I'm thinking of could be considered compact/short but here goes. I have a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 EFR on a Beeman R9 (HW95). I like it a lot. It will focus that close, even on 9x. Their specs say 10 yards but I got 6. This could be due to where my ocular lens is focused due to my eyesight. Your mileage may vary. Don't be afraid to turn the parallax dial past the last number. There's useful range down there. Their webpage claims its 11.43" long and 12.1 ounces. It is well under $2K. Their webpage lists the MSRP at a penny under $400. With some internet searching you should be able to do a bit better than that.

Here's a thread I started on it a little while back: https://airgunwarriors.com/community/airgun-talk/r9-update/#post-45284

Yeah, that Luepold is probably the way I will go. I wish they still did gloss finishes.

ReplyQuote
RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

Yea, I feel your pain. A gloss Leupold would look even more gorgeous on a Beeman/HW gun. In this case however I'm going to make a conscious effort to believe in the "beauty is as beauty does" theory. The new one is a performer. Pro Tip: match the rings to the scope (matte) rather than the gun (gloss). It makes the difference in finishes slightly less obvious.

If you're ever in the market for more magnification, Leupold is making the 6.5-20X EFR again. It's now in their VX-3HD line. It's a spendy bugger though. I'm not rich or a scope snob. I'm just willing to spend enough to make nagging issues go away. Either that or I'm just spoiled. (Don't like compromise.)

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-3-9x33-efr-airgun-fine-duplex-riflescope

https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-6-5-20x40-efr-cds-tzl2-fine-duplex

ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)

Sounds like your new airrifle came in finally.  Or, did you get the one back from the tuner?  Either case, obvious choice would the UTG BugBuster.  3-12x32 3 yds to infinity.  Springer rated and comes with rings.  Mildot and has optional side wheel.  P. A. Has it on sale.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/utg-bugbuster-3-12x32-scope-1-3-moa-ao-mil-dot-reticle-med-dovetail?a=885

everyone with a computer is an expert.

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

I'm pretty sure the Bugbusters come with Picatinny rings.

No, I see that model can be had with dovetail as well.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

While I definitely find the compact scopes appealing, the downside to them is that unless you find one with good eye relief you need to use an offset mount to move the scope closer to your eye for proper eye relief. And most offset mounts are also high mounts and can set your scope higher than necessary, which may lead to eye/scope alignment issues.

At about 11.5" it's not exactly compact, but I had a 2-7x32AO Hawke Sport HD IR on my HW30S for quite a while. It was a good match. The Sport HD IR has an etched glass Mil-Dot reticle that is a nice thin size so doesn't interfere with smaller targets. And the glass is more than good enough for the effective range of an HW30/R7. And on 2x I could focus as close as about 8-9 feet. How much of that was my eye and how much the scope, I don't know. But at low power it will focus closer than the 5yds the specs state.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hawke-sport-optics-hd-ir-series-2-7x32-ao-rifle-scope-illuminated-mil?a=3864

Here's a pic of my 30S with the Hawke Sport sitting in medium BKL double strap rings. FWIW, I did switch out the double strap rings for BKL single straps since the HW30/R7 recoil is so light and they held just as well without looking so bulky on it.

IMG 2982 1 HW30S Hawke

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

I have a dumb idea, or question, which may amount to nothing. I'd like to have answered my own question before posting this, but someone didn't put the filter in the shop-vac, then sucked up a nasty birdsnest of poly batting into the impeller... wow this thing wasn't designed to be serviced... stopped up like a compulsive eater 3 days after the cheese tasting festival...

On non-AO scopes, I've tweaked the objective from 100 yards, down to 20-30 yards, by screwing it in the proper direction.

Obviously this is a compromise, but lots of platforms aren't shot at 100 yards.

Could the same be done with an AO scope, to reduce the minimum distance?

Maybe I'll look at a junky AO scope later (Bushnell with unipolar magnetic repulsion sentiment towards it's own AO ring) see if I can still get at the rotating parts, on an AO design.

ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)

Posted by: @jim-in-swmo

While I definitely find the compact scopes appealing, the downside to them is that unless you find one with good eye relief you need to use an offset mount to move the scope closer to your eye for proper eye relief. And most offset mounts are also high mounts and can set your scope higher than necessary, which may lead to eye/scope alignment issues.

At about 11.5" it's not exactly compact, but I had a 2-7x32AO Hawke Sport HD IR on my HW30S for quite a while. It was a good match. The Sport HD IR has an etched glass Mil-Dot reticle that is a nice thin size so doesn't interfere with smaller targets. And the glass is more than good enough for the effective range of an HW30/R7. And on 2x I could focus as close as about 8-9 feet. How much of that was my eye and how much the scope, I don't know. But at low power it will focus closer than the 5yds the specs state.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hawke-sport-optics-hd-ir-series-2-7x32-ao-rifle-scope-illuminated-mil?a=3864

Here's a pic of my 30S with the Hawke Sport sitting in medium BKL double strap rings. FWIW, I did switch out the double strap rings for BKL single straps since the HW30/R7 recoil is so light and they held just as well without looking so bulky on it.

IMG 2982 1 HW30S Hawke

4.3  in eye relief  For the BugBuster.   I'm a big hawk fan as well.  Lots of options to mount the buster if 4" won't work.  Nifty scopes in my opinion. 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

According to a Tom Gaylord blog, these will focus down to 12 feet IIRC.

SS2L 4X

ReplyQuote
CyberDyneSystems
(@cyberdynesystems)

Spec wise, the shortest range scopes I have are all 10 yards.

That said, I've tested all of them in my office for MFD (minimum focus distance) My office is 20' wall to wall and has a bookshelf at the far end. Of all my scopes (Cabelas Covenent 7,5,4 Crimson Trace, Hawke SF Compact, Aimsports Alpha, Centra, Nikon, .. only with the Meopta Optika 5 4-20 @ 4 can I read the text on the bindings clearly at approx 18' So despite 10 yards spec, it focuses down below 20' very well.

ReplyQuote
JungleShooter
(@jungleshooter)

Here's my Scope Specs Table for scopes 3-9x and 3-12x — and for SHORT scopes, just updated with the latest Hawke offerings.

You'll find the specs of about 60 scopes side by side for easy comparison.

● Divided in SFP and FFP

● Weight and length — color coded

● Field of view (FoV) — which is a much more reliable indicator than the bottom end magnification when deciding if the scope will work for hurried close range shots on quarry

● Prices (mfctr. and street price): Most prices are around $200, some lower, some higher

● Warranty info

● Reticle information

Happy scope shopping!  😊

Matthias

❌ Attachement:

Scope Specs Table: Short Scopes and 3-9x/ 3-12x Scopes

ReplyQuote
dan_house
(@dan_house)

4x bugbster....

ebay has them under the "Sniper" label.... but its a bug buster....

ReplyQuote
unionrdr
(@unionrdr)

The Winchester 4x32AO scope is great for air rifles. Low to mid power. It'll range down to 15ft & has a setting for it.

ReplyQuote