Re: Gerholt & Reuss...

Notifications
Clear all

Re: Gerholt & Reuss air gun scopes.

(@ray-grimmond)
Topic starter  

Hi all, Greetings from down under in the magical land of Australia!  I like the new start for the good ol' yellow.

I am trying to source Gerholt & Reuss air gun scopes as I would like to purchase same again.

I was able to get a couple of these beautiful units ( Both still performing well ) from Beeman Australia some years back but sadly the Australian end of

Beeman has disappeared here.

So if someone can point me to a supplier in the states that can I deal with I would be obliged.

Thanks Mates!,

Ray.

Topic Tags
(@jwilli)

Ray:  I saw a reference to these scopes a few years ago.  I couldn't find anything on retail sites so started digging a bit.  The Gerholt & Reuss airgun scopes were sold by Jim McCari many years ago.  To my knowledge the name Gerholt and Reuss was originated by Jim.  I don't know where he sourced them but they are really nice glass  and were purpose built for airguns.  I saw a  Note somewhere one time that indicated that the scopes were  just beat to death before the final versions were released for sale.    There were I believe three models.  The warranty site was Jim.  There are no more.  I picked one up on the Air Rifle Headquarters  sale site three years ago but, it was a one time single offering.  I've dropped him a Note a few times letting him know that if  he found any others that I'd be interested but so far none have appeared.  

Jim  W.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

The maker name on the scope is actually "GERHOLDT & REUSS".

I was looking for information on these scopes... My wife bought me the Gerholdt & Reuss 3-12x42 (maybe it's 40mm ?) scope (for Christmas) from Jim Maccari about 20 years ago (wow! how time flies) for my .22 JM custom HW95TK.

It's a wonderful scope, with a Duplex type reticle... similar to the Bushnell Multi-X reticle, except that it has a target dot in the center of the crosshairs... and it has nice target turrets

I still have the original box, but I don't think there was any kind of paper work or instructions that came with it... I looked where I normally keep my manuals and instructions but there isn't anything, and the box is pretty generic.

It's just a little longer than a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 scope... it focuses down to about 8 yards.

I was curious to where it was made and whether the company exists, but could not find anything online, except for a couple of various forum posts.

Found some photos in JM's Air Rifle Headquarters Gallery 2 at:

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/page/page/1232543.htm

My photos...

Weihrauch HW95TK Jim Maccari 2
Weihrauch HW95TK Jim Maccari Gergiholdt Reuss 4 12x Scope
Gerholdt & Reuss 3 12x42 Target Turrets pano

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

I just noticed while using this scope today with Strelok Pro ballistic software...

There are 60 clicks per revolution on the turrets... they are marked "0" to "11", but there is not an even spacing between each number.

In fact there are two marked notches between the "0" and the "11", and just 1 notch between the other numbers... each notch point takes two 1/8 " click.

Kind of strange to me... maybe there is a reason for it ?

I would think that being 60 clicks there would be 5 clicks to get to each notch... ?

Gerholdt & Reuss 3 12x42 Target Turrets 6

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade

A semi educated guess would be that of what Beeman USA was having manufactured and built for distribution here in the states.  Those scopes marketed as "Blue Ribbon" were Japanese glass manufactured by HAKKO OPTICS.   Sold my last blue ribbon a few years and the turret configuration looks familiar, tho can't confirm it either ? 

If it is a HAKKO ?  the manufacturer closed it's doors after its founder passed away.  It reads on the web that the factory may have been revived in recent years ... not sure.

FYI if nothing else ....

airmojo thanked
ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

@motorhead That could be... probably only Jim Maccari knows for sure... it is a very nice scope... finally have extra time to play around with it some before I take it outside once the weather warms up... and the snow melts !

ReplyQuote
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade

Posted by: @motorhead

A semi educated guess would be that of what Beeman USA was having manufactured and built for distribution here in the states.  Those scopes marketed as "Blue Ribbon" were Japanese glass manufactured by HAKKO OPTICS.   Sold my last blue ribbon a few years and the turret configuration looks familiar, tho can't confirm it either ? 

If it is a HAKKO ?  the manufacturer closed it's doors after its founder passed away.  It reads on the web that the factory may have been revived in recent years ... not sure.

FYI if nothing else ....

Scott;

Hakko became Japan Optics Ltd.:

https://www.jolusa.com/  

They STILL manufacture a LOT of the scopes in the world, they just decided not to run the marketing and branding risks.

They DO make REALLY FINE scopes, and not expensive, when you compare them to the German/Austrian made counteparts.

If anyone has the capital and the idea to make a scope, they will help. Last I enquired (not for myself), MOQ was 1,000 units.
And what has NOT helped the development of scopes is ITAR that regulates world market sale and transfer of any scope with a reticle more complicated than a CH or Duplex.

Of course, the Chinese are not signataries to ITAR...

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

ReplyQuote
Frank in Fairfield
(@frank-in-fairfield)

The new company name is Hertel & Reuss (they went bankrupt in 1970) and there are some scopes on ebay.

ReplyQuote