Notifications
Clear all

R1 Lazer.

Airgunmanart
(@airgunmanart)
Topic starter  

Someone was asking about a Beeman R1 Lazer.  I saw one at Mac1 on the wall if anyone is looking. 

Art Burciaga 

sonnysan
(@sonnysan)

Is it for sale?  Price tag?  MKI, II, or III?  Condition? 

ReplyQuote
Airgunmanart
(@airgunmanart)
Topic starter  

@sonnysan

(562) 961-6221

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)

Called the next day, and Timmy Mac answered the phone.  He must be 2Pac since i read in the bible he was dead.  Anyway, the gun sold days prior for $700.  That is a great deal.  I was buying these guns over 15 years ago at that price.  Gun was like new, and it was either a MKII or MKIII.  I have to admit, it was a pleasure to speak with him for the first time.   

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

@sonnysan I spoke to him months ago about that Laser but I passed since on it was a MKII which I already have. I got my MKII for way less than he was asking for his. He had no clue and almost laughed at me when I asked was it a springer or a gas ram since he didn't know which MK it was. He had no clue that the MKIII was only made as a gas ram!

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

I am the one who bought that rifle.. I thought it was a Mar2 springer so I ordered a J.M kit when I pulled the stock it was a gas ram.  I pulled it apart and wow I am not a gas ram guy. The external piston seal is gone and I cannot get the ram to compress and there is no fill port.  I am assuming that the piston hook is contained within the tube coming wout from the piston.

I have the ram out and would like to know where to send it to have it serviced... Can anyone recommend who to sent it to, or should I obtain a new springer piston and convert it back to a springer.  Rifle is marked Beeman model R-1

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)

The Theoben rams are easy to service.  There is no schrader valve?  I have an eliminator guide that details the steps

The previous owner of my Laser MKIII converted it back to spring.  I remember him saying the ram conversion in an R-1 was horrible.  I'm a ram guy, so it would of been interesting to see.

If you are not a ram guy then install the JM kit.  I still have the same JM kit in the MKIII 20+ years later.   

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thank you sonny... where would be the best place to obtain a new R-1 piston here in the states ?? also how does one tell if the rifle is a Mark2 or mark3 ??

thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

After looking online my gas ran looks nothing like what I see.  Mt Laser has no means on the back of the cap to depressurize the unit.  I have the ram out of the gun.  I have a J.M kit.  Is it possiable to reuse the gas spring piston with a conventional spring ?  And what is the safe way to depressurize the strut ? And how does it come apart ??

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to this gas spring stuff. The reason I graped this rig was that I thought it was a springer.  Oh well.

Any help is welcome

thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

@airgunwizard Check your inbox...

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

How do I do that ??? sorry

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

This is all that comes up in my message box from you

"

Hi,

well I called Tim months ago and asked if it was a gas ram and he laughed at me saying "who would put a gas ram in an R1"? If he had knew what he was talking about and or told me it was a ram I would have bought it back then. My first bit of advice, DO NOT make it a springer! It is a Laser MKIII and as such designed to be a gas ram. Secondly does the gun not cock when together or can you just not compress the ram now that it is out of the rifle? If you are not content with the rifle I would be interested in purchasing it from you, it would complete my Laser collection. If you are interested in doing something with it other than how it was designed/meant to be save every part that it came with. Other than that contact David Slade (Airgunwerks) for just about anything airgun related other than Crosman, Daisy, etc. The Laser MKI & MKII are springers but for whatever reason they made the MKIII a gas ram. There is a chance the rifle was converted to a ram but I would need to see a picture of the rifle to tell which MK it is. 

Mike

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

The gun cocked fine but would not send a pellet down the barrel.  The external piston seal was toast. I spoke with J.M and he is sending me a piston seal for thegun rifle. I assume it will be for a RX type rifle.

Do you thinl Dave Slade would just service the ram out of the rifle ??  Many thanks my friend.

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Sorry about that Mike !! when I checked my messages all I say was the first sentence.. Then I copied and pasted that here and much more was revealed !! Sorry sir I did not mean to post your PM to me,,, I plead a senior moment !!

If Dave Slade will service just the ram I will put everything back togeather and we can talk !!  I love the way the rifle handles.. but I like simplicity .  Thanks for your attempt to help out a fellow airgunner.

DualMagMike thanked
ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

How does one tell the difference between a Mark2 and mark 3 laser ? I know its about the stock and all mark3s are gas rams..

Anyone ??

I know mine is not a mark 1 .  It does indeed have the ram.

thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

MKII is springer only, slight difference in stock also

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thank you Mike.. I knew the Mark 1 was springer only and the Mark3 were gas rams only.. But the Mark2s could be had either way from Beeman.  I had a lfriend I turned on to airguns many years ago and he ordered a From Beeman directly and he speced his to have a Ram.  He was so proud of it.

To me it was stiff cocking and I could not warm up to the shot cycle.  That was back in 1996 I think..if memory serves but that was indeed  long ago.. Wish I had a pic side by side of a mark2 an a mark 3 to compare to know which mark I have.

Thank you for responding

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

May I ask ?? why not more intrest in these fine air rifles ??

Anyone !!  and what is the value of a Mark 2 or Mark 3 Laser ??  Mine is a looker and perfect to the eye.

Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)

Posted by: @airgunwizard

May I ask ?? why not more intrest in these fine air rifles ??

Anyone !!  and what is the value of a Mark 2 or Mark 3 Laser ??  Mine is a looker and perfect to the eye.

Thanks in advance

I will call you later with the suggested pricing.

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thanks Jim !!!

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

@airgunwizard you could have had even the MKI gas rammed but that's not the intended build of it. As you mentioned it had to be specifically ordered, it was not offered. There is interest but they are hard to find, expensive when you do find them and especially the MKII & III have very high cheekpieces which make iron sight shooting difficult for many. The R1 was already pushing .177 fps right to the edge of usable velocity unless heavy pellets were used and the Laser versions upped the power even further. 

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thank you Mike.  I contacted Dave slade and will not service just the Ramsaid he needed the whole rifle to check everything.  The rifle cocked very well before I pulled it apart just would not put a pellet down the tube due to the external piston seal being toast.  I have a ballpark idea of what this thing is worth.  I am goung to replace the piston seal and put it back togeather and see how it shoots.  I was told it was a springer and that is why I bought it.  If I can get a good price for it I will part with it.

Otherwise I will just obtain a new piston and cocking shoe and convert it. I hate doing that as the rifle is collectable.

Thanks for responding Mike

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Mike one point I want to make isthat the Mar2 and mark 3s were never intended for iron sights... Scopes only !! just saying

thanks

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

@airgunwizard NOT correct, my MKII. MKIII should be essentially the same except as noted slightly different stock and gas ram.

105 R1 Laser MKII .177

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thanks mike !! I think mine is a mark3 ..it has a muzzel brake with 3 grub screws and no iron sites... Thanks for all the help.  I just wish it was a springer.  Perhaps I could trade it for a nice old R-1 Tylo in 22 cal.

just sayin !! Thanks again  and what is up with a muzzel brake with to plug !! is that a kali thing ??

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

@airgunwizard Muzzle brakes are almost always an add on, and likely yours is also. The brakes with no cap and 3 screws are called crow mag brakes. An R1 Tyro as a trade, not sure who'd go for that? You'll have to add a bit on that trade and likely have to do a ton of searching for one. There were less than 25 made, I got very lucky...

.177 & .20

274 Beeman R1 Tyroleans .177 & .20

the top Tyro has a Crow mag muzzle brake with a little something extra, bottom Tyro has the more common ribbed brake

116 DSCN3253

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thank you Mike !!  a wealth of knowledge here..

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)

You cannot shoot irons with a Laser II or III stock.  The cheekpiece is too high.  Tried it when I fitted an HW80K to the stock.

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

what Sonny said !!  it is one sweet stock when shooting a scope..

and who would NOT scope this rifle ??  some air arms just beg for it..

Thanks

ReplyQuote
DualMagMike
(@dualmagmike)

what someone decides to do is different from how the rifle was made, if not intended for use with iron sights they would not come with them (e.g. AA Pro Sport). They Lasers did come with iron sights and can be used as such. Just like the Tyrolean stock that some say are uncomfortable and or was never intended for scopes. These are opinions and not really facts.

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

I got the Laser back together with a new J.M piston seal and breech seal and the rifle shoots like a champ.  I have had several RX type gas rams and this thing is so very sweet.  I could not be more pleased.

That said gas rams are not my cup of tea and it will put up or sale or partial trade for a nice older Beeman R-1 in 22 cal. 

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)

I figured that the main seal was the issue. That style ram is either good or bad. It will probably last a lifetime. 

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

Thanks Jim !! I am not a gas ram guy !! but damn this thing shoots sweet.. I will be happy if it does not move !! Just something about this rifle.

ReplyQuote
SteveP
(@stevep)

Nice to see you back on a forum again...lol

ReplyQuote
airgunwizard
(@airgunwizard)

yep !!! I was a member here way back in the airgun letter days back when James started this place. God rest his soul. I have seen quite a bit, Too much really.

ReplyQuote