Question for you FX...

Notifications
Clear all

Question for you FX Impact MK2 fans  

RSS

Bill Day
(@bill-day)
February 19, 2020 16:25:08  

If one buys a FX Impact MK2 in .177 can he buy a 25 or 30 caliber setup (Barrel, Probe, ect) to turn it into a more powerful airgun? Just wondering how flexible the platform is.

pluric
(@pluric)
February 19, 2020 16:32:33  

Yes. That's the whole beauty of the gun. Very versatile. I have the .22, .25 and .30 barrels. Easy to switch out. And several power adjustment options to adapt to the caliber change.

Make sure you get the "power plenum" upgrade. 

ReplyQuote
Bill Day
(@bill-day)
February 20, 2020 06:20:49  

@pluric

Thanks Pluric, I knew you could swap barrels on the Impact but I wasn't sure a .177 would inter-change all the way up to 30 caliber. I have always favored the FX Impact from it's introduction but as new models hit the market it is always nice to have all the bugs worked out of them first. I'm thinking it's time to try one especially with all that flexibility.  

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
February 20, 2020 09:21:34  

They are working on a 9mm barrel now. Quite a range to go from .177-9mm on one gun. I was at an indoor shooting competition last night and I'd say 90% of the guns were Impacts. I think a big reason was the high capacity magazines. They use to try and cater to the 8 round magazine of the Wildcat. Kept the course geared to 8 shots or a mandatory mag change to keep the playing field even. Not anymore. Several sections were 60 seconds to hit as many targets as possible. 8-12 shot magazine guns were really at a disadvantage with magazine changes.

In the real world the high capacity magazines are a convenience, but not a deal breaker to me. 

I am a bit biased. I have a couple Impacts, my son, son-in-law and nephew use them as their primary gun as well. So yes, I'm a bit of a fan boy. 😀 

Have they been 100% reliable?, no. Have they been worth putting up with a few issues?, to me yes.

ReplyQuote
M.Harvey
(@m-harvey)
April 21, 2020 09:53:32  

I have 2 mk 2’ s 1 w pp and one without. The guns shoot great. The new one w pp has an air leak from the factory! The gen 1 I had needed to b sent to Aoa 2 times and Fx twice for air leaks. I finally sold b/c I didn’t want to pay to ship anymore. The barrel kits are $399 plus the cost of magazines and moderator.  Not all upside w this gun as Fx does not even respond to repair emails or phone calls.

ReplyQuote
bvan62
(@bvan62)
April 21, 2020 12:27:11  

Don't forget Bill you will need to also adjust your scope for all the changes back and forth to get it dialed in for what ever caliber/power you are wanting. The idea behind the Impact sounds great but in the end once you get tired of dialing everything over and over back and forth you will likely find your favorite and just leave it in that configuration.

Similarly to the Thomas being capable as both a rifle and a pistol for FT matches. Most users doing both have to swap scopes (as FT pistol scopes cannot have a higher magnification then 12 power) in and out between physical and power configurations for matches that are one day apart. Too much to do and if you don't get it right then you're FT rifle scope is going to suffer. Is it worth it? Maybe.

IMO it may cost more but in the long run having a fixed setup for a particular need is more to my liking.

My 2 cents,

Brian

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
April 21, 2020 21:56:53  
Posted by: @m-harvey

I have 2 mk 2’ s 1 w pp and one without. The guns shoot great. The new one w pp has an air leak from the factory! The gen 1 I had needed to b sent to Aoa 2 times and Fx twice for air leaks. I finally sold b/c I didn’t want to pay to ship anymore. The barrel kits are $399 plus the cost of magazines and moderator.  Not all upside w this gun as Fx does not even respond to repair emails or phone calls.

I've had just the opposite experience. That's odd.  I worked with Ernest Rowe direct. Now I use Utah Airguns. They have been fantastic for dealing with any issues I may have. There is a reason AoA is no longer a FX dealer. I bought 2 Gen 1 Impacts from AoA and maybe 10 other guns from them. I found them fine to work with. But between them losing the FX line and Utah Airguns being 45 minutes away I just haven't used them for a couple years now. I very much enjoyed going to Extreme Benchrest that they sponsored.

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
April 21, 2020 22:06:31  

bvan62 makes a good point. I used to make notes on reg and power settings for different caliber barrel switches. Then found it more convenient to leave a gun setup for each caliber use. I just picked up my two Power Plenum upgraded guns today. So now I have 4 Impacts with the Power Plenum installed. .22, .25 Compact and two .30 setups. I may make one .25 in the 700 mm barrel. I just really enjoy shooting these guns. 😀 

ReplyQuote
M.Harvey
(@m-harvey)
April 22, 2020 09:43:05  

Just to b clear my issue was not w Aoa specifically it was a defective impact from Fx. It was not fixed properly at Aoa the first time. This was when they were the exclusive distributor of Fx products and if you did not buy your gun from them you would have to cover the shipping costs on a brand new gun. I have bought guns from Aoa and Utah air. Ernest tuned an Fx boss for me and it also shoots great. The impact is a great gun but it’s also complicated w I believe 29 seals. I unfortunately do not live any where near a shop that warranty’s Fx products. 2 impacts out of 3 purchased either an air leak or problem w gun. I’m glad they have a service center now, but it is expensive to ship guns for repair.

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
April 22, 2020 10:31:53  

Yup, shipping gets old, no question about it. Especially when it's a repair return. Shops should own it and pay both ways if they did the work incorrectly. I'd purchased a Nova Freedom. Inexpensive on board pump PCP. It developed a leak and the dealer handled shipping both ways on the return. 48 hour turn over on the repair. That's how it should work!

My Gen 1 Impact had a leak. Repaired by AoA. The leak came back and Utah airguns went through it. Not an issue since. I'm a little nervous in that I just had my most dependable Impact upgraded with a Power Plenum kit. From what I'm told that replaces most all the innards with the latest from FX. So in one sense it's a new gun, in another sense it's possibly starting over.

The early Impacts were a bit of a crap shoot. At the Extreme Benchrest my son's gun had a leak. Earnest Rowe repaired it at the FX motor home. 15 minutes later same issue. Repaired it again same result. By the time they gave him a loaner it was really hard for him to get it sighted and such. Mentally it took a toll on him trying to keep his head in the game. Still, he likes the gun enough that he bought two more. Same here, just something about them that I enjoy shooting enough to forgive the early problems.

ReplyQuote