Plastic Sabot Ammo ...

Notifications
Clear all

Plastic Sabot Ammo in a PCP? Opinions Please

Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)
Topic starter  

In general, what is the effect of plastic sabot ammo in a PCP shooting at ~850fps?  Okay? Should be avoided?  I'm committed to lead free for a number of reasons and plastic sabot ammo offers a few more lead free choices so it's worth some investigation.

Specifically, I've seen a video review of Crosman PowerShot Red that pretty much says these things are NOT as advertised and a waste of money.  But I want so much want to like them.  They afford a heavier weight lead-free choice in 22 cal compared to GTO domed and Baracuda Greens with FPE close to lead pellets of similar weight.

But I'm concerned about any plastic sabots screaming through my Avenger at ~850fps.  Melted plastic residue?  Inaccuracy and high percentage flyers?

I'm sure some of you will advise me to return to lead ammo!  Fair enough.  But I'd appreciated your opinions, whatever form they take, before I put plastic into the breech. 😀 

Go in peace good people !

Topic Tags
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

I seriously doubt that any of those will fit into any air rifle magazine. If your rifle has a single shot tray, you might be able to get them to fit.

ReplyQuote
RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

Sabots, by design and definition, peel apart immediately upon leaving the muzzle. Any device attached to that muzzle runs a high risk of interfering with the projectile. This could be as minor as leaving little tiny plastic shavings that have to be removed periodically all the way to impeding the flight of the projectile to preventing the projectile from leaving the muzzle.

If you have no muzzle device I say rock on. The worst that could happen is you have to somehow remove plastic residue from the bore. Certainly the shotgunners and muzzleloaders could offer advice on this. If you DO have some sort of brake, moderator, LDC, "decibel damping device" or whatever, I would proceed cautiously.

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)

in the past, plastic skirted pellets have gotten a very mixed bag of reviews 

and i have read that they will coat the barrel to a point 

but maybe they have improved 

the reviews at PA are certainly mixed on the Crosman 

they're pricy at best but i would try them, you can always clean the barrel if needed 

everyone's results will be different 

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)

Don't really like the term sabot for the current ones that don't drop away the plastic part, but it's the term most used.  There was one long ago that did have a drop away plastic pusher.

No a bad idea....just never got any that I tired to shoot well.

ReplyQuote
Miles_M
(@miles_m)

As above the Crosman PowerShot Red are not a sabot round, more of a plastic round with a lump of pointy metal at the front to try to make them stable. The shape of the front end is high drag, they would probably have been better with a hemispherical nose, so the BC will not be good, particularly at high muzzle velocities.

There was a true sabot round many years ago. Unfortunately, it appeared to have been designed by someone with little or no knowledge of ammunition design or simple aeroballistics, so it was not a success. The problem with sabot rounds in an air rifle is the spin rates are not high enough for subcalibre low drag penetrators but are high enough to cause problems if the penetrator is not exactly in the middle of the sabot.

ReplyQuote
blackswordshinobi
(@blackswordshinobi)

Posted by: @droidiphile

In general, what is the effect of plastic sabot ammo in a PCP shooting at ~850fps?  Okay? Should be avoided?  I'm committed to lead free for a number of reasons and plastic sabot ammo offers a few more lead free choices so it's worth some investigation.

Specifically, I've seen a video review of Crosman Power Shot Red that pretty much says these things are NOT as advertised and a waste of money.  But I want so much want to like them.  They afford a heavier weight lead-free choice in 22 cal compared to GTO domed and Barracuda Greens with FPE close to lead pellets of similar weight.

But I'm concerned about any plastic sabots screaming through my Avenger at ~850fps.  Melted plastic residue?  Inaccuracy and high percentage flyers?

I'm sure some of you will advise me to return to lead ammo!  Fair enough.  But I'd appreciated your opinions, whatever form they take, before I put plastic into the breech. 😀 

Go in peace good people !

there are good pellet or bullet type ammo out there  you can take hollow point weir saw cut in x  far enough with out deform the around and will act just like sabot around when hit some thing somthing i pick up when i miss real gun  but the x around will open up after it hit it need the impact to flower out after impacted just little trick

ReplyQuote
Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies folks!  It turns out there may be a lead free slug from Predator on the horizon.  If so, this would be the higher weight alternative for the Avenger I've been looking for without the need to go with a plastic skirt pellet like Crosman PowerShot.  Check out the announcement at this link.  I sure hope they fit into the magazine!  I can't wait to get some in my breech !

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)

Some of the vids of the “Sabo” pellet reviews are sill on line. Not worth hunting up these as collectors pellets.

1. The pre-sprung open sabots need special care in loading, pretty well limited it to break barrel springers. (Considering the time frame, that wasn’t a real problem).

2. Even as light as they are, the detached plastic sabot could do damage at short range.

3. Whatever energy the sabot carried, wasn’t energy the bullet carried.

4. Folks weren’t really ready for tiny projectiles (something like .146”)….maybe air gunners were just not into BC in the 1990’s.

Never could get them to shoot well…..probably were air rifles that did shoot them, just none of mine.

The current ones, that don’t detach the sabot, are pretty much flying ping-pong balls for BC. That kind of quick vel. loss can be useful in limiting range for safety concerns.

Still not shooting well.

One picture….did manage to hit a penny once out of 5 tries at 4 yards (gives you a hint how badly they shot). PCP was jacked up, would shoot 21gr. pellets at 1030fps….no idea what the speed was with the 9gr. Plastic/Zinc pellet.

[url= https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51262038013_77f9df3e43_n.jp g" target="_blank">https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51262038013_77f9df3e43_n.jp g"/> [/img][/url][url= https://flic.kr/p/2m6RkXB ]Image6[/url] by [url= https://www.flickr.com/photos/144930793@N07/ ]Robert Dean[/url], on Flickr

Had better (although not great) luck with the non-lead pellet-pellets (pretty much the same shape as the lead versions, just not lead).

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
Member of Trade

Few years back I happened to shoot a Racoon with a .22 cal ( Orange sleeve with gold color sabot )  SKENCO pellet at @ 15 feet out my back door.

The racoon was instantly dispatch with a head shot.  Upon gloved observation of the entry hole it was ONLY that of the sabot being @ 3mm.  Few days later cleaning up the blood found the Orange sleeve noting it was only slightly deformed where if crashed into the coons skull stopping there while sabot continued inward.

IIRC testing what the speed was, the rifle with 18 jsb was @ 30 fpe @ 860's and SKENCO was @ 1200 fps and HIGHLY inaccurate !!!

ReplyQuote