Pellet weight choic...

Notifications
Clear all

Pellet weight choice at 15 fpe  

RSS

Eboniste
(@eboniste)
June 28, 2020 12:52:53  

Given approximately identical consistency while shooting FT, which pellet weight yields better results for you: 10+gr or ~8+gr?  Asking for a friend. 

GLPalinkas
(@glpalinkas)
June 28, 2020 19:23:49  

For me, I shoot the JSB/AA 10.3's because my rifle tells me too. LOL

RAW HM1000

ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
June 29, 2020 09:08:29  

Craig;

If I am understanding correctly, the "given approximately identical consistency" phrase means that they BOTH shoot about as good as the other.

Which wouldn't be surprising because the 8.44 at 890 fps is just a tad above its optimum.

That would be my choice.

JMHO

HM

ReplyQuote
Eboniste
(@eboniste)
June 29, 2020 14:31:42  

@hector-j-medina-gThanks for the response.  On further thought (for a friend😉), I guess maybe the extrapolated question centers on wind effects.  And yes, BOTH stacking well has been an assumption. Just thinking freely, the potential of a flatter trajectory of the lighter pellet could simplify ranging/holding.  Too much time on my hands and too little chance to get out to play. 

ReplyQuote
Ed Canoles
(@nced)
July 24, 2020 12:21:34  
Posted by: @eboniste

@hector-j-medina-gThanks for the response.  On further thought (for a friend😉), I guess maybe the extrapolated question centers on wind effects.  And yes, BOTH stacking well has been an assumption. Just thinking freely, the potential of a flatter trajectory of the lighter pellet could simplify ranging/holding.  Too much time on my hands and too little chance to get out to play. 

Not a field target application but my brother shot 10.5 grain CPs for a couple years while squirrel hunting with his wved tuned .177 R9 because the heavier pellet did drift less in the wind than the 7.9 grainers, plus the 10.5 grainers penetrated squirrels exceptionally well allowing him to take "angled shots through the vitals". The pellet was exceptionally accurate from his gun.............

After a couple seasons he switched to the 7.9 grain Crosman Premier from the die lot marked and dated 1250 count box and found that the flatter trajectory of a CPL at 910fps trumped the "wind drift resistance" of the CPH due to less precision needed with range 'guessitimations" which also has a bearing on field target shooting.The accuracy of the 7.9 grain CPL wasn't quite as good as the CPH and he couldn't take angled shots through a squirrel with the lights, however they were "minute of a squirrel head accurate" past 50 yards so the switch was permanent.

As far as field target goes, if the shooter is "clicking on" I really don't know how important a flat trajectory is if the "scope rangefind" is accurate but for the hunter class where scope power setting is limited to 16x and "clicking on" isn't allowed then (for me) a flatter trajectory with a lighter pellet works best.

Jim Bentley thanked
ReplyQuote
Eboniste
(@eboniste)
July 27, 2020 13:23:38  

Thanks for the opinion.   More or less coincides with my intuitive approach but since MMV for other folks out there, I was curious.

ReplyQuote
JohnnyPiston
(@johnnypiston)
July 28, 2020 09:30:19  

What rifle are we talking about here? Springer or PCP?

ReplyQuote