Pcp rifle hand pump...

Notifications
Clear all

Pcp rifle hand pumps  

RSS

Pabloco
(@pabloco)
July 30, 2020 20:05:10  

New to pcp rifles, now that some are affordable for me I'm fixing to purchase a umurex gauntlet. 25, looking for guidance on hand pumps

Topic Tags
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
July 31, 2020 00:53:30  

Most likely any pump over $200 retail will perform well for a long time.  I have a Hill, FX, and Benjamin pump, all used.  You can purchase them in the used market for 60% or more off.  I've only used the Benjamin pump up to this point since it has performed flawlessly for all of my guns from the start.  This includes AA, FX, Evanix, EDgun, Daystate, etc.  I've consistently pumped Daystate Air Rangers to 3500PSI.  Sounds crazy, but once you get used to it, it is no big deal.  Amazon has used Benjamin pumps on a frequent basis.   

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)
July 31, 2020 10:17:04  

Quick history of me and hand pumps.

Been pump filling for something like 18 years. Even with a compressor, I still pump fill several of the PCPs.

Started with an FX pump...way back then think it ws called the Verspump or Veripump...whatever, FX's first pump. Great pump, worked for years without a sighn of a proiblem (until it went overboard).

Ended up buying a Hills pump....actually ended up with two of them. Could pretty well depend on having to rebuild the Hills every two years.

Got a Cheap Chinese pump maybe 5 years ago. Still sell the same basic pump,although $50-$60seems the common price now. Figured I used it exclusivly until It broke...and I was shure it was going to break becasue it was so cheap.

5 years later and it still works. Have not had to rebuild it (but it came with spare seals,lube,and even a simple pressed steel take down tool).

Mean while, the neglected Hills pumps died from neglect.

ReplyQuote
Pointyhead
(@pointyhead)
July 31, 2020 12:13:23  

Started with an FX pump years ago. Absolute workhorse. Yet still a Cadillac in terms of feel and function. Literally thousands of fills with virtually no maintenance. When it came time to reseal it, I bought the last kit I could find in stock. It had all the wrong seals in it, and very few of the right ones. Vendor wouldn't stand behind the kit, so I was out ~$50. I figured I could get it professionally resealed, try to track down (and gamble on) another kit, or move on to something better supported. I chose the last option and bought a Hill with drypack. 

In the mean time, I borrowed a friend's Benjamin pump. It had only been used around a dozen times, but was leaking so badly it was unusable. Not sure if he ever resealed it, or ended up tossing it to be honest.

The Hill is fine. It is not as smooth as my old FX. beginning around 150BAR, you cannot take slow, deliberate strokes, or the air fails to pass from chamber to chamber. A rapid stroke seems to do fine, and produces very efficient results, but ultimately does heat up the pump quicker. It's had fairly light use for about a year and a half with no need for a reseal yet. It is currently getting pushed to its limits filling the Avenger to 300BAR and doing it well. I suppose I would recommend it, especially since it came with lube, extra desiccant, and seals. 

No experience with any of the cheapest Amazon/Ebay pumps. I probably should have bought one with the money I wasted on the seal kit, but that's in the rearview mirror at this point.

ReplyQuote
csitas
(@csitas)
July 31, 2020 13:28:01  

@pointyhead  me tooooo, Hate to say it but my chingish beets my hiill by about triple so far. The trick , the way I see it is to not pump fast.  Less heat == less moisture== less repair. Ive watched some of the guys and they go at the pump like it was a bicycle  tire pump. Way to fast, being a multi stage pump most of the air does,nt even get out of the second stage== makes twice the work with have the gain.

ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)
July 31, 2020 17:42:08  

They lost me as a customer with the Mk.II. Really a well made mecanical system,it just would need rebuilding every year or two.

Taking a good look at the Mk4(the current version) without too much of the advertizing hype.

The air ventri version is made by Hills ($270)...the cheaper one without the DryPac system($200) wouldstill be a little cheaper with the addon DryPac unit($250). Why that ends up to be $20 more than the one without the AirVentri logo,I don't know.

1.The rebuild kit has a lot fewer parts....which would indicate new guts....and I'd count that as a plus.
2.Claims to be easier to field strip....lets hope so.
3.Would order at least a dry pack refill packet and a rebuild kit...comes to something like another $44.

So we're up to something like $300-$320. HOPFULLY the Mk4 would not need to be resealed/repairednerly as often as the MkII's did.

Years ago,posted some experiments with the DryPac granules.Whatever it is,it'sno something simple like Sica Gel....seems to bind moisture chemically, a simple oven-dry doesn't release much of what it captured.

Using a known volume of new DryPac,it certainly does capture a lot of moisture. It captures progressivly less over time. In my climate (New Orleans) would need to change the stuff maybe 5 times a year to just be reasonably effective.

ReplyQuote
csitas
(@csitas)
August 2, 2020 14:06:13  

Some of you guys may know but, anyway, The Dollar Store is full of desicant . The best part is it's     of coarse  a buck a pack. Been using it, when done throw  it out.

ReplyQuote
B3ntong
(@b3ntong)
August 2, 2020 22:25:11  
Posted by: @csitas

Some of you guys may know but, anyway, The Dollar Store is full of desicant . The best part is it's     of coarse  a buck a pack. Been using it, when done throw  it out.

Is it this one??

Screenshot 2020 08 02 The Home Store Moisture Eliminators, 8 1 oz Containers

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)
August 3, 2020 00:05:30  

No one is going to like this one.

After realizing how much air we're actually dealing with, and the humidity of the air in my location,realized it was a losing fight.

OK...so it's like a 215CC air tank/tube.....filled to 200BAR.

Isn't that the same thing as 43,000 CC's of ambaint (1BAR) air?....215cc's X 200BAR....and the same amount of moisture in that volume of air.

And I got to fight that moisture every time I fill up?

I rasied the white flag...this is a fight I'll never win.

Took the air tube apart....Silcone greased the inside of the tube and all the pressurized parts...put it back together....and just ingonred whatever moistute got into the now protected system

Oldest PCP I own and have used dates to 2003....when I open it up, there isn't any rust/corroision I can blame on the air that filled it.

ReplyQuote
James Perotti
(@jpsaxnc)
August 3, 2020 11:52:38  

The weak link in all hand pumps is the final stage o-ring, it takes the most abuse from pressure and from being abraded by crude build up and corrosion if your pump is old. My axsor pump is twenty years old, I just replaced all of the upper o-rings with Buna, and the final stage with a solid teflon o-ring nothing else holds up as well, in my experience. hth.

ReplyQuote
Pabloco
(@pabloco)
August 3, 2020 12:25:25  

Well after much deliberation I ordered a yong heng, still gonna get a hand pump for when I may need it. I just figure I shoot way to much for that solely, now I gotta save some more money for a tank. 

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
August 4, 2020 17:41:24  

@pabloco

Spend the money on a good air drying set up, if you keep the gun very long you will be glad you did.

I had a Falcon FN19 that was only filled with a pump when I purchased it at 2 years old. When I took it apart to reseal it I was amazed at the congealed water/oil that was in the tube. Luckily there was only trace amounts of corrosion! The valve system was badly tarnished, but cleaned up well. 

ReplyQuote
Pabloco
(@pabloco)
August 4, 2020 20:23:31  

@jim-bentley thanks, I will, i still own every gun I've ever purchased. I'm on to the dry air nesscity. Thanks again 

ReplyQuote
csitas
(@csitas)
August 8, 2020 11:15:17  

As Ribs pointed out, an ounce  of prevention , is worth a pound of cure.Good old grease, in this case silicone. I've use this -method -on all my guns. A couple of rifles are as old as I am.

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)
August 8, 2020 21:59:29  

How are you worse off?  Do the silicon grease treatment and no water ever gets in....you don't do it and something screws up and water does get in.

I go out in the rain a lot...and there are some places where tubes want to rust that are not pressurized(so it'snot the fill air'sfault).  

From the front end cap's sealing o-ring forward is not pressurized, but outside moisture can wick in from the threads.

If it uses a gauge block, then the tube section between the O-rings of the gauge block is not pressurized either....but moisture can get in from the hole the gauge  uses to pass though the tube and into the block.

We usually keep the inside of the tube from the rear end cap to the valve body seal greased (it's where the striker runs back and forth), but it's also a non pressurized part of the tube.

Lastly....did find rust in a brand new rifle's tube....evidently "factory rust", but if I had not opened that new rifle's up, I would have blamed it on whatever I was using to fill it....and been wrong.

Oldest PCP dates from 2003(AA 200T)...it's never seen anything but hand pumps....did the Silicon grease treatment...still clean inside the air tube.   Likely I own myself a new tube for that rifle(even with the 2X2 rule,17 years is a lot of expansion/contraction).

ReplyQuote