New Blue Ribbon SS-...

Notifications
Clear all

New Blue Ribbon SS-2L Scopes 3X & 4X (kind of long)  

RSS

straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 23, 2020 15:41:13  

I recently came across these SS-2L’s when I saw an ad for a mint FWB127. One of the scopes was originally listed with the gun. I asked the man if he would separate. Keep in mind that I was neither looking for a 127 (maybe one day) or SS scopes. The 4X21 shown looked to be mint. Discovered he lived not too far and agreed on a price and a plan to meet somewhere in the middle, at a mall.

During our text messages and phone conversation he said he also had a 3X21 SS-2L that was mounted only for a short time, also with “some accessories”. This was after he changed his 127 ad to include it. I tried to lowball him for a 2 scope deal. He budged some on the price but stood firm at that and positively would go no lower.

Who I met was a well-dressed & well-groomed elderly gentleman of veteran status -as seen from his license plate. He was kind of dry in personality although courteous. He explained that he bought these many years ago with plans for them but said that life happened and he just never got around to it. He almost seemed sad to be watching them go. The scopes are basically new-old stock. It’s my belief that he had merely been their caretaker for all these years. The detailed instructions are copyrighted 1992.

My cost was a good bit less than what they cost new back then. Certainly less than 2 current Leupold 3x9 EFR’s that I had originally planned. These will only be mounted only on medium powered springers in spite of their advertised strength –around my property. Despite their size they feel hefty. Advertised at 13.6 oz but if you notice in the pics, the 4X is slightly longer. Each has 5 sets of pins.

Here is a short review:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/01/a-look-back-in-time-the-beeman-ss2-short-scope/

I don’t agree with the part where he says they are too course for target work. Although I don’t think most would use any fixed power scope for that. The reticle is unique but in the very center of the broad German style post lies a very fine stand alone set of cross hairs that can also be used for holdover/under. Perhaps there has been evolutions of the SS2’s? The filters are really nice but I could not get a reasonable photo today with my old phone. Anyway, some of the accessories seem to have been have bought separately, whether through Beeman or?

I also received a lithium battery powered illuminator (Beeman number 5124) but I believe it is missing a piece as it is too large to screw into anything except one collar that I think the orange filter fits into but even with that, it is still slightly too large for the scope threads. Also notice the rail adaptors that are sitting with the 4X. I don’t recall ever seeing these. I think they are for Weaver or Picatanny rails? Also notice the small white disk. I have no idea what it is for but maybe it has to do with the illuminator. Like the orange disk, there is a smooth side and a rough side. The bottom of the 3X has two runners that say “made in Japan”, where the 4X has one. (I mixed up the windage caps while fiddling with them). Both bases are threaded on both sides to hold extra filters but I doubt I'll use that feature.

Maybe someone out there has more info on this stuff. I’d appreciate any knowledge on the accessories. Besides the incomplete illuminator (I think) I believe the only other accessories I’m missing are the yellow filter and optional scope covers.

1a

bf1956 and scratchit thanked
Topic Tags
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
February 23, 2020 15:56:02  

Very nice find.  The 4 power ss-2's were much harder to find.  I remember in the 90's Beeman direct always had ss-2l 3x for $166.  Bought as many as I could.  Now the guns are more powerful, and mounting an ss-2l on a modern pcp really does a disservice to the capabilities of the gun.  I'd say good candidates are an r-1 or lower power.  You might need a scope stop too if you are mounting on an r-1.  For close up work on squirrels they do the job beautifully.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 23, 2020 16:09:54  

@sonnysan

Thanks Sonny.

I looked a while today for scope stops and they seem to be unavailable. The only one I saw was a 3/4" ugly hunk of steel -unavailable of course. Got me to wondering if scopes no longer slip LOL or everyone has gone PCP. I see Weihrauch advertises one on their website. I'll look across the waters I guess. It looks like maybe the old Beeman deluxe stop?

Another thing I left out was notice that the green filter also has female threads on top. What the hell? LOL

Edit: I just watched a well used SS3 go for $450 on Ebay. All I saw was scope and box, no pins that I could tell.

I think my memory has failed me. I definitely paid more than $166.

bf1956 and scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
(@scratchit)
February 23, 2020 16:36:33  

@straitflite

What a find, beautiful!  And a bargain at twice the price I’m sure!

ATB

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Kingfisher1961
(@kingfisher1961)
February 23, 2020 16:57:07  

SL

Nice find!  Charles is certainly exactly as you described.  His BOI is impeccable. It's a shame that he has reached the age that he has to part with something he loves and can no longer do. 

We'll all get there soon enough. Lol

JC

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 23, 2020 17:23:55  

We'll all get there soon enough.

Yup. As I sat at home and fondled them, I thought I can't use these, they are too nice to mount. But understanding that all things must end...I can't wait to use them  😀

It's good to see that people take such care of things too. The man gets three thumbs up from me.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
February 23, 2020 17:40:22  

@straitflite

There were some counterfeits that showed up on the market. But, with the packaging and accessories you have there, they certainly look like the Real McCoy to me! I always thought they were great little scopes. They were clear and bright, and they seemed to to hold up quite well on springers.

Being brand new, hopefully they should hold up for quite a long while, as long as you keep them on a fairly tame gun. I mention that because with ABO in Florida now being out of business, I don't know of anyplace where you can get one repaired if it breaks. Well, maybe someone would do it for a price. That seems very possible. But, I'm saying that there's no warranty coverage for them that I know of.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 23, 2020 18:00:05  

Ed,

I agree that in spite of their toughness, I would not risk them on anything more than 13 or 14ft lb. The rabbits and starlings around here will be in for a rough patch of real-estate.

The lack of a warranty of course was a forgone conclusion before I bought them. But since you brought it up...The box says "Beeman Lifetime warranty-the best backing available." I wonder: since the Beeman trade mark is still legally owned by the Chinese, aren't they still on the hook? I'll see their asses in court 🤨 

bf1956 and ekmeister thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
February 23, 2020 18:57:00  

Nice finds, Bo. Those would be great on something like the HW30/R7 or HW50S.

I'm not very familiar with these scopes so can't help you with the accessories. But I'm sure someone here will know about them and help you out.

Enjoy them!

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 23, 2020 19:13:49  

Hi Jim. The 50s is definitely one of them.

Thanks!

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
February 23, 2020 21:02:22  
Posted by: @straitflite

Ed,

I agree that in spite of their toughness, I would not risk them on anything more than 13 or 14ft lb. The rabbits and starlings around here will be in for a rough patch of real-estate.

The lack of a warranty of course was a forgone conclusion before I bought them. But since you brought it up...The box says "Beeman Lifetime warranty-the best backing available." I wonder: since the Beeman trade mark is still legally owned by the Chinese, aren't they still on the hook? I'll see their asses in court 🤨 

I think they were made well enough that if you limit them to use on a 13 or 14 foot lb, they'll probably never need a repair.

I wasn't going to make a text comment, but I just couldn't resist. Whether or not the Chinese are on the hook to provide some sort of a warranty repair because they bought the Beeman name, is perhaps debatable and complicated. The wording of any contracts would have to be taken into consideration. And, there is that whole thing about being located on a totally different continent that could make it difficult to enforce.

But, more than that, isn't the term, "High-Quality Chinese Scope Repair" an oxymoron?...

Don't get me wrong. There's no doubt that they have the intellect and expertise to make such repairs.  As to intellect alone, you only have to look as far as Chinese physicians practicing in the United States to see that's obvious.  It's just that from what I've seen, I don't think they choose to use those gifts and abilities in their homeland manufacturing plants. More than anything, I think that their bottom line there is a low price and high-volume.

If you make it to court, let us know how that goes! I bet you'll have to take a number and wait in a long line.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Bill S.
(@tripleguy)
February 23, 2020 22:42:21  

I have a 3x on a tuned Beeman R10 Bo and it's held up well. Tough little scopes. They are a little coarse for fine target work as you note but they make up for it in their light weight and fast handlng. Good squirrel scope.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
February 24, 2020 11:58:13  

Difficulty in acquiring parts for these scopes:

1.  Scope stop.

2.  Weaver base.

3.  Spacer pins.

At least you acquired #2 & 3.  That in itself is a feat in this day.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
February 24, 2020 15:02:44  
Posted by: @straitflite

@sonnysan

Thanks Sonny.

I looked a while today for scope stops and they seem to be unavailable. The only one I saw was a 3/4" ugly hunk of steel -unavailable of course. Got me to wondering if scopes no longer slip LOL or everyone has gone PCP. I see Weihrauch advertises one on their website. I'll look across the waters I guess. It looks like maybe the old Beeman deluxe stop?...

I have a pretty nice little Sun Optics scope stop here. It's all steel. Maybe you'd call this one ugly, but I don't think it's too bad looking.

It does come with a stop pin. It's not that long of a of a pin, but I think it's long enough to hold. if you don't feel comfortable with It's length, you could probably come up with something else from your local hardware store that you'd like better.

If you buy it from opticsplanet.com You can save a few bucks. It's $14 there. It's for use on the 11 mm rails that are common on many air guns.

I just want to mention that I seem to remember the Beeman short scopes fit pretty low to the receiver, because of the low built-in scope mounts. So, I just now installed it on HW97k receiver, and measured it. The very-top of the stop block is right at .370" (3/8") above the receiver.

So, you might want to measure the bottom of the scope when mounted on the receiver, to see if the stop would fit. Although, if you have more than one air gun, you'll probably find a use for it sooner or later. And, at that price, it's not like you'd be risking a lot of money.

Here's the link to purchase for ~$14:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sun-optics-11mm-recoil-stop-block.html

Here's the link to JUST an image (Amazon doesn't have them to sell right now):

Sun Optics USA Airgun Scope Mount 11 mm Recoil Stop Block https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KJFAZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9YcvEbB1KJ78P

HTH.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 24, 2020 18:59:18  

@ekmeister

Thanks Ed, that one is at least much more aesthetically pleasing.

isn't the term, "High-Quality Chinese Scope Repair" an oxymoron?...

No doubt. I'll be ready for 'em though...just have to fetch "Mandarin for Dummies" off Amazon. 😀 

ekmeister and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
hkshooter
(@hkshooter)
February 27, 2020 22:29:36  

I like these scopes and have wanted one for a firearm application for some time now. Unfortunately the collector prices most of them command put the capability to price ratio way out of whack. In other words little performance for big costs. For the same or even less money modern optics do everything better. But for size. These scopes are small and that's attractive in some applications. The optics provide just enough assistance to help old eyes that don't do well with irons or peeps anymore but can still see well enough to shoot minute of man at any range the cartridge is capable of.

Maybe one day I'll stumble across a deal such as the OP here. Meanwhile, congrats to the OP. You did very well.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)
February 28, 2020 16:35:43  

I currently have a SS1, a 4x SS2, a 66R, and a 66RL.  I have the SS2 mounted on a FWB P70Jr.  I consider a SS1 as an alternate to an aperture site.  For me, it is easier to use a SS1 than an aperture site.  I think the 66R and 66RL have for sure been bettered by the Burris Timberline 4x14 and of course, the Leopold 3x9 EFR.  I am not sure if there is anything comparable to the SS series though.

David Enoch

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
February 28, 2020 17:53:44  

@ekmeister

Ed, thanks for the link to the scope stops. I bought 3 of them for that low price.

@hkshooter

The optics appear to be as bright as scopes much larger in diameter, perhaps due to the shorter length? The passive ambient lighting options for the reticles should be good in twilight conditions, though I haven't tried it yet to be honest. You are right, most times when these come up for sale even partially complete, the prices fade disproportionally into the wild blue yonder. I wouldn't have them now if I hadn't tripped over a decent deal. That doesn't happen often for me. Thanks!

@davidenoch

It would be nice if someone would make something comparable today. I think maybe Leapers has a bug buster that has good reviews. The product lines nowadays are so vast that one could get dizzy and fall down but I don't see many quality compact scopes with AO's. I'd like to try that SS1 on a 10M gun. Sometimes it works best to be a minimalist, especially if it will hold up to springers.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
hkshooter
(@hkshooter)
February 28, 2020 21:07:33  
Posted by: @davidenoch

I think the 66R and 66RL have for sure been bettered by the Burris Timberline 4x14....

I have this Burris scope on my Ed tuned R1 and it's been performing perfectly. 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
February 29, 2020 18:54:45  

Hey some of those xbow scopes work, and they are pretty compact too!

ReplyQuote
Akong
(@akong)
March 28, 2020 13:28:46  

Kinda late to the party. Been gone from forum for a while. Anyway, the original question about the light, it should screw straight into the scope or any of the colored filters. They should be the same. Here's what mine looks like. For what it's worth, when i used to shoot this scope I found that the red "dome" worked pretty good in most situations. The light was good fro night rat hunts or midnight target sessions. Congrats on scoring a couple of awesome scopes.

IMG 3936
IMG 3937

AK

ReplyQuote
Akong
(@akong)
March 28, 2020 13:38:54  

Thinking more about this... and looking at your last pic. It may be that your red filter came apart and the "top" half is still connected to the light. In the last pic, I believe the red "filter" should go into the "cup" looking thing (below your light) and then there should be another ring that screws into that to hold the filter in place. Although looking at your other pictures it looks like you have a red filter. In any case, make sure one of the rings is not still attached to the light itself. It can be a pain to get off if it is... sometimes you can screw the cup back onto the light and then try to unscrew the filter in one piece.

ReplyQuote
Akong
(@akong)
March 28, 2020 13:50:41  

Also, the clear frosted disc is a defusser for the light... like this

IMG 3939

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
April 2, 2020 19:50:41  

Late to the party? I think not! 😀 After 11,000 reads you come along and solve my little mystery!

There was in fact a small collar attached to the diffuser side. It fit so well that it looked like part of the light. As it turns out, the collar has a green ring for a green filter that was hidden from view. Like I said in my original post, I think the filters were obtained some time after the scopes. The orange filter is not shown in the few Beeman catalogues that I have but I also found a brass 'faced' adaptor stuck on its cap. I don't have a yellow but do have an orange LOL. Somewhere out there is a naked green filter...

Anyway, light now works like a champ! Seeing as how you were the only one out of 11,000 or so to figure it out, I think it is safe to say that there are not many of this accessory in existence.

Thank you very much Akong.

Bo

ReplyQuote
daveshoot
(@daveshoot)
April 5, 2020 13:00:27  

This thread got me to thinking about the Little Old Thing that came on a vintage springer purchase. It's no Blue Ribbon, but I never had one like it, and it has very good glass. It is virtually unmountable without adapters but it would be a perfect gopher scope.

Scopechief

ReplyQuote
Akong
(@akong)
April 10, 2020 14:59:58  

@straitflite Orange? Never seen one of those. Glad it worked out for you. Yes, I would guess not too many out there. Cool concept but not sure how useful they really were. I'm assuming most got tossed into a "junk" drawer somewhere.

Haha... Every once in while I know what I'm talking about 🙂

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
April 12, 2020 13:30:13  

@daveshoot

IIRC those were pretty stout scopes also with Japanese optics?

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
April 12, 2020 13:32:54  

@bf1956

That's thinking out of the box. I like it 🙃 . Not sure how they would fare mounted on a springer but without looking, I would have to assume they would be set up for compatible airgun ranges.

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)
April 16, 2020 10:49:14  

I was just digging a Beeman 66RL out of my scope pile and found two scopes I had forgotten I had. One was a SS3 1.5-4 variable like new in the box. The other is pretty rare, a Beeman Blue Ribbon MS-1  4x18 scope. It is just a tad longer than a SS2 but is made to use with scope rings. I have never seen another one of these anywhere but someone did show me an old Beeman advertisement showing that model.

ECFD728D 3A6A 49F9 BF97 AF4E73DE2F17
CE3767DA A8B7 4E3E 85B8 3ABCEBF0E3F8
D38BFF66 1315 4D79 8765 ABCB5664F646

ReplyQuote