New Beeman R7 Arriv...

Notifications
Clear all

New Beeman R7 Arrived

straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

Jim in SWMO, it came with the entire stock butt -Yay!😆 

I was pleasently surprised that it came with the gold trigger...I assumed those were reserved for the Elite combo deal. Even the beech has a little more character than I expected. Last time I received a brand new imported Beeman  Weihrauch was 17 years ago. What?.. No sticker and patch? Hmmmm what scope should it be now... 🤔 This is from PA's latest inbound restock:

R7 R side
R7 L side
R7 lettering
Beeman R7

Jim in SWMO thanked
Topic Tags
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Cool...Congrats, Bo! And thanks for the pics, too! So glad to see that it does have the traditional stock and not that one that looks like someone fell asleep with a belt sander with the trigger locked in the "on" position! LOL

But, and I'm gonna show you how thoughtful I am here, I think you better send me that chunk of firewood they put on that poor R7. In return, I'll be kind enough to send you the stock off my HW30 so you can shoot your new R7. 😊 

Just kiddin' of course. 😉 You got a nice piece of wood on that one! Hope mine looks as good.

I wondered about the gold trigger but that didn't bother me as much as what stock they had so I didn't think to ask about the trigger. So I'll consider that a nice bonus, lol. And it will make the R7 a good & proper little brother to my R9 with the gold trigger, too. Oh, and so will all that etched lettering they put on them now, too. My R9 is etched the same way as your R7. But I see your R7 also has the new etching on the barrel itself. I've read about that being on them now on one of the Brit forums. Wonder what HW's thoughts are behind that? BTW, since they put that new barrel etching where the serial number used to be, where is the serial number now?

I thought I was doing so-so waiting on mine but now, after seeing yours, I'm even antsier. LOL!!

Congrats again, Bo.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jim-in-swmo

But, and I'm gonna show you how thoughtful I am here, I think you better send me that chunk of firewood they put on that poor R7. In return, I'll be kind enough to send you the stock off my HW30 so you can shoot your new R7. 😊

Jim...Deal! But I'm going to need a sticker and patch thrown in 😆

Now that the Doc is no longer looking, maybe the barrel's lettering is Weihrauch's way of saying "Pssssssst, Hey buddy, it's not really a beeman" LOL. I didn't think about the SN# until you mentioned it but I just found it on the underside of the barrel. Aren't many Beeman marked HW's left. Wonder how long they will last before completely drifting into the history books?

R7 Serial#

Jim in SWMO thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Posted by: @straitflite

Deal! But I'm going to need a sticker and patch thrown in 😆

Ha ha...You're gettin' greedy. I would have settled for just having the good ol' Beeman hang tag on the trigger guard instead of that cheesy clear plastic baggy/envelope thingy they put the sight inserts in now. At least you still get a hang tag when you buy an HW. LOL

Yeah, I have a feeling that we may see the end of the German made Beeman springers before too much longer. They've been chipping away at them for a while now. They dropped the R1 sometime in the last couple years I think and I'm not sure when they dropped the R11 or 97K. I think the only ones left now are the R7 and R9.

ReplyQuote
(@tripleguy)

Nice looking gun Bo. I'd prefer it didn't have all the visible lettering but it's not the 1980s I guess! Let us know how it shoots.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@tripleguy

I agree with you about the lettering, Bill. It definitely doesn't reflect the quality of the Beeman guns of old. But if you think what Bo showed us is bad you should see the warning billboard on the other side of the receiver.

ReplyQuote
(@tripleguy)

@jim-in-swmo

Oh no! Is it the Crosman attorney version that climbing ladders and injesting lead may be harmful?? If so, then I'll pass and get an old pisser I guess.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@tripleguy

It's close. But it doesn't say that you'll shoot your eye out. Guess they figure you already know that bit, lol. But it's definitely an "in your face" type of thing. The only good thing about it is that you can't see it when you're shooting. 😉 

Here's the billboard that's on my R9. From what I can see in Bo's first pic up above it looks like the R7 has the same billboard. 🙁

IMG 2833 1

ReplyQuote
DJNA
 DJNA
(@djna)

Congratulations on new gun. HW30 / Beeman R7 are one my favorite springers to shoot, enjoy your new gun. 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

I think the only ones left now are the R7 and R9

Forgetting one...The most intricately engineered and as of now, the longest running HW Beeman of them all -P1. Don't think the P3 or P17 are beeman marked anymore, correct me if I'm wrong.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite

You're right, I did forget about the Beeman pistols. But I'm not much of a pistol shooter these days so most of my focus goes to the long guns. I put that down mostly to aging eyes. 😔

A quick look at PA shows that they do still carry the P1, P3, and P11 German made pistols that are sold under the Beeman name. But, as decent a pistol as it is, the cheap Beeman P17 is the Chinese copy of the German made P3.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@tripleguy

OMG that is so true! I bet when I remove the action, it may have even more printing like "Kill Roy was here" or "eat at Joe's". Yeah, enough is enough. Toe be honest, I don't mind the stand alone Large BEEMAN Lasering on the rear left action. The 80's were a lot of fun. I miss my brown pair of corduroy pants with the handy oversized thigh pockets..had a burgundy pair as well. No seatbelt laws or airbags to be concerned with etc. That BEEMAN logo simply shows a stylistic

change IMO. Be way cooler with Bos bear though. That other crap lettering on the barrel is redundant to what is already on the breech block...could have just put the "HW" on the barrel if they feel the need and leave the repeated info off.

The Lawyer print is in case you shoot your eye out while posting on social media. The warning is visible and the "I told you so" indicates publically that we have no legal recourse? LOL. Might as well state that murder is illegal in most states -Well DUH!!! 😱 Maybe a 'Blue' job is in order 😝 

Like Jim indicated, the billboard is continued on the other side PA markings are already excessive:

More Labeling

If you buy a straight up HW from AOA, the lettering is much much less excessive. That's where I got my HW50S .20 from:

Breech & Barrell Markings
HW rear action stamping

May as well show off the .20's JM HG stock ("Pretty Rare in American walnut. Marbled with colors") while I'm here (toes included 'cause Grtwhitehunter is into that sort of thing 🤣)

JM stock L
JM Stock R

Finally found a muzzle brake I can live with from ebay UK for both 50's. Had to file front sight a little and reblue:

50S Brake

Jim in SWMO and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

It definitely doesn't reflect the quality of the Beeman guns of old

Under the hood and at the heart of the beast lies a Weihrauch, lettering aside. By all accounts from what I have read on the guru tuner's forum, the R&7 has improved greatly with the latest models over the older ones. By reading what I believe to be true from reliable top people as well as phone conversations from all but the horses mouth, The best HW's are the 50S, R7/30S, R1/80 77/97. The R9/95 has an odball stroke to transfer port ratio. I'd like to hear from Ed in NC with his creditable input on that. I'll bet all said and done, you'll find more R9's have been sold than R1's however, as a guess. I don't feel the need for a 95 now owning a nice R0. The HW57 received a huge black eye from Blackpool that it never recovered from, in spite of HW correcting the loading gate. So far I think it will be a great one and now I may try to get one in .177. It is extremely pellet fussy in all respects to brand, correct head size and pellet weight -just requires more sorting than normal. Won't find it new in the states anymore however. Can't wait to open up on the range with it to see what it really is.

Jim, as you've noticed I tend to expand on many of my posts when I know you are listening, so this one is for you buddy 😀 

Back when I recall you saying that your 50 .177 shoots the Air Arms Express 7.87gn the best. It may be because of our different velocities but I found that the standard JSB Exacts 7.87 give me the best shot strings over the Caldwell vs AA. We have been sharing info since the begining of my return to airguns and the 50 so I'll simply share my findings which may reflect on the target or maybe not. I think the AA & JSB 7.87 are supposed to be the same pellet? AA indicates a 5.52 head but JSB doesn't indate head size and difficult to read with certainty using caliper. Maybe I have a bad tin/lot of the AA's? The JSB Premiums prove pretty good. Most strings will show 3fps spread with the greatest being 5 with those. The AA's stats shown are the best I could get with them. They have been as great as 15fps. None of the following were weighed or sorted in any manner:

50 177 AA Express 7.87gn
50 177 JSB 7.87gn
50 177 JSP Premium 7.87gn

AA 7.87

AA 7.87

JSB 7.87

JSB 7.87

Jim in SWMO and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Thanks for the info, Bo! Wow, those 7.87 JSB Premiums sure do hold a tight spread in your 50S! Last time I checked my 50S it was doing 765fps (spread of 6fps) with the 7.87 AA Express for right at 10.25ft-lbs. But the JM SG2 kit was pretty fresh yet so it might have gained some since then. I took a note from the Brits and left it at that power. They say that's where the .177 50S/99S really shines. And I honestly can't argue with that. Mine is like shooting a slightly bigger HW30 with a bit more "oomph", lol. Just a very docile shot cycle.

I didn't mention it the other day but when I ordered my R7 I also ordered the Digital USB Interface for my ProChrono so I'll have to play around with that and run some of my springers over the chrono again. Last time I checked them some had kits installed that were still pretty fresh and they should have settled in now. My laptop doesn't have a disc drive so I'm hoping I can download the software onto a thumbdrive and then get it on the laptop that way. If not I guess I'll just have to hook the chrono up to the PC and do it that way, lol.

Oh, I don't disagree with the HW30/R7 being a better gun now. They probably are. But what I meant was when you look at the older Beeman springers they have a quality look to them. But the new etchings have taken that impression away and made them look cheaper. And the sad part is that I've started to get used to it!! 😱 

Double Oh, and thanks for rubbin' it in with your JM stock on the 50, lol. (Looks Great, BTW!) I'd like to have one of his stocks but he doesn't do lefties very often and when one does show up there's generally a premium added to the price. 🙁 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

I'd like to have one of his stocks but he doesn't do lefties very often

I didn't know you were a lefty. Does your toilet flush in the opposite direction? 🤣 Just messin' LOL

No doubt, the British know what they are talking about. Those fellows deal with limited horsepower far more than we do thus, more airguns and the need for knowledge for the magic thresholds. Mine would require an FAC. As you know, the SG2 kit you have was not available when I retrofitted so it was Hornet or Indoor Plinkers kit. All my research thus far is strictly theoretical with mere known values. I've yet to try for the bullseye. I have amassed so many pellet types in my quest, that surely I'll find something that will score well. I've noticed that although pellets have gotten better...they still can vary a good bit within the same tin. Bought the .22 Pelletgage@tm and will get the .20 & .177 gage for sorting head sizes. Of course for plinking it will be straight from the tin.

JM is closed for personal reasons (supposed to be reopened yesterday) but I'll simply buy the R7 kit and a spare spring (have one of his spare mainsprings for all my guns), stick with the OEM seal and thoroughly comb over the R7 when time permits. Just ordered another Boyt signature case for it from Optics Planet...that makes 5 of those now. Heavy duty and well padded..hard cases take up too much room. Need to get a safe but my guns are insured.

I wasn't rubbing the JM stock on the .20 against your left hand LOL. Actually that .20 50 may be one I sell. From all available .20 pellets, I cannot find one that doesn't shoot with a huge spread. I'm betting higher powered magnum guns would fair better with the heavies available in that segment. The Weihrauch branded JSB's .20's give the best, but don't seem good enough...theoretically. They have extremely tight heads and rob the gun of about 2.5 fpe. from another of comparable weight. Be ok if they hit home I guess. Bought the head sizer's fro T Robb in the UK so I'll see somewhere down the road how it pans out. Did I mention the .177 has a JM HG Crotch walnut? 😊 

I need to refocus on getting somehow relocated but I'll still piddle from time to time. After all, I feel an overwhelming desire to be air gun ready when my move happens 😀 Thanks for helping me to keep it all straight Jim.

Peace brother!

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Did I mention the .177 has a JM HG Crotch walnut?

Ok, now you're just rubbin' salt in the wound. Got any pics? 😜

Lol...Yeah, my wiring is kinda messed up. I can shoot a rifle right handed but it doesn't feel as natural as left. But I shoot pistols right handed. But can also shoot them from the left, lol. Being able to shoot a rifle from either side did come in handy now & again back in my hunting days. 😉 

You're definitely going deeper into this than I do. I just grab my pellets right outta the tin and shoot them, lol.

I've got one of JM's HW30/R7 kits and an extra spring for my HW30 but I guess with this R7 coming it might not be a bad idea to get another one to have on hand. You know, just in case. LOL

That's a bummer on your .20. From what I've read I always thought the HW .20 barrels were pretty accurate. Wouldn't think it would be down to the power output of the gun since several have the little R7 in .20 and say it's an accurate shooter.

Ha ha...I don't know about helping you keep it all straight but thanks for posting your adventures here for all of us to follow. And if the "snail express" (Whoa! Talk about an oxymoron! LOL) ever gets my payment to PA I'll let you know about my R7. Hoping it looks as nice as yours does!

Cheers, Bo! 🍻 

EDIT: Oh yeah. Meant to say earlier that I really like that brake you found for your 50s. Wouldn't mind something like that myself.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

That's a bummer on your .20. From what I've read I always thought the HW .20 barrels were pretty accurate. Wouldn't think it would be down to the power output of the gun since several have the little R7 in .20 and say it's an accurate shooter.

I'm being too premature I think in regards to the .20 50S. I wouldn't dream of letting it go before trying it on a Starling LOL; It might be perfect for that application 😀 and turn out to be a goodie! Like my HW57, I think it will just require more pellet sorting. I think the FTS's look promising to that end as well. Wish they offered different head sized FTS's in .20 like they do in .177 & .22.

Jim Maccari is open for business so I just did my shopping for the new R7 and other goodies as usual. I've bought quite a bit from him, much of which I will keep in stores. Regarding his gun stocks: From what I can tell that he has written on his site, my take away is that he will no longer be making anymore stocks. Mostly HW50 and FWB 124's seem to be all that remains and I think when they are gone...that's the end of it? I believe that was my motivation for buying two of his stocks and even my spares. No resource lasts forever as most folks should know. I know now that his stuff is top notch!

Jim, I'll be waiting to hear and see your new R7 when it arrives. You'll be able to tell me how she shoots after you drop the JM kit in it, sooner than I'll know of my own R7. Definitely looking forward to hearing about that.

Got any pics? 😜

OMG YES! ILIKEPICSYOULIKEPICS? LOL Probably going to over do it here -but here they come, all that I've amassed in less than a year after a 15 year hiatuss for all to see. All rifles have JM Hornet kits except the new R7. P1 has JM mainspring & Aussie parachute seal.  🧐

HW50S in .20 with JM wood, Rowan setback trigger with Pickney oversized safety button & muzzle brake:

HW50s 20 R side
HW50S 20 L side
HW 50S 20 JM stock bottom

HW50S .177 with JM American crotch walnut, Rowan setback, Pickney oversized safety and muzzle brake:

HW50S .177 R side
HW50S 177 L side
HW50S 177 JM R side stock bottom
HW50S 177 JM L side stock

HW57 with Rowen straight setback trigger & Pickney oversized safety:

HW57 22 R side
HW57 .22 L side
HW57 22 Load gate

A better pic of the brake on both 50's:

HW50S Muzzle brakes

The brakes also come in nickel/chrome but I found them 'too loud on my eyes'. The chrome weighs same as the black but the brass weighs exactly 3 times as much, at 3.6oz. That one would be great when used as a balancer.

Chrome&Brass Brakes

The whole herd for the year to date. Top to bottom: Beeman R7, HW50S .177, HW57 .22, HW50S .20, San Rafael Beeman R10 .177, Custom San Rafael Beeman P1 .177 & Huntington Beach Beeman P2. 

The Harem to date

I like them all but probably my least liked is the P2. It shoots at new specs and fantastic groups are easy but no where near as exciting to shoot as the P1. I should appreciate the P2's ability but I'd rather have a pneumatic rifle for 10M shooting. I'll have the R10's shine toned down soon.

Haven't remounted the Blue Ribbon SS2L's yet and probably won't. I'm going to go ALL out Luepold for personal preference. The only reason the 66R is on the .177 50 is because it came used and I still need to validate it for function. The pistols will still wear what they have. For those that do not know, the model 25 pistol scope was replicated from a Leupold that Doc Beeman originally sold as his pistol scope offering back in the very early days. The P2 is wearing the earliest model 25 scope and is slightly heavier that the longest running matte finished 25. ALL the Blue Ribbons have very bright and fully crisp optics.

I've owned a Weaver V16, the older Bushnell Trophy, an older fixed power Luepold and Japanese Tascos but the newer Lupy EFR's cannot be beat for form & function. The AO, power ring an turrets are a dream to turn compared to any other scope I've owned. That is to say adjustments are extremely smooth and that's what I want. The clarity is over the top!

In getting to the point where I'm at with the "buy to try" method, I have accumulated stuff that I will never use in my lifetime and that I would do myself a service and let go of some of it. Those experimental dollars add up quick too!!!

When I get around to it, my next adventure will be in a couple (OK, maybe 3) heavy hitting springers!

Speaking of "buy to try"...these things have been a costly venture!!! LOL:

.177 Pellets

.20 Pellets

22 Pellets

.25 still to come 😎 

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

all that I've amassed in less than a year

Holy Crapola, Bo! All that in less than a year?!?! 😮 Plus all the extras like the scopes and the custom bits & bobs?!?! 😮😮 That's one hell of a buying binge you were on!!! 🤑 

I do like those JM stocks. And I think I've read the same about him not making anymore. I think you did good by picking up the ones you did. As for the JM kit in the R7, that all depends on how it shoots out of the box. 😉 I've had my HW30S for just over 6 years now and it's still factory stock inside because so far there's been no need to open it up. Although, I have been plenty tempted to open it just to give it a good cleaning out and relube. But so far I've been able to control myself and stick with the old saying of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol.

Was hoping I'd have an email from PA with a tracking number on the R7 by now. But I guess the postal system is still screwed up and the snail express hasn't found it's destination yet. Either that or it decided to take a little tour around the country! LOL  Back when things were normal (remember those days??) I would have not only had a tracking number by now but quite possibly have had the package by now, too!

I do like the brakes you've got on your HW50s. Can't really say that the chrome/nickel or brass ones do much for me but I sure like those black ones. They do look nice. 👍 

Ha ha...You're not the only one that has a good collection of pellets! I have enough to last me a long time as far as just plinking goes, lol. But for the more "precision" shooting (for what it is in the basement, lol) my supply is getting a little low. Think there "might" be a couple sleeves worth of the 4 or 5 better ones, lol.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

I'll be able to retire in about 5.5 years and the one hobby that has never left my interest since childhood, is air guns. I'd like to be able to open fire anywhere I want right now but I need to work on that relocation deal.  This new to me equipment is a big part of that incentive 😉 After I retire, I'll have another reason to move this 'ol body around and hopefully have another interest to indulge in.

Was hoping I'd have an email from PA with a tracking number on the R7 by now.

Something doesn't smell right with that. I'd be on the horn by now... they at least owe you a tracking number Jim.

As for the pellets, if they don't shoot 'yer eye out -they can put holes in your wallet 🤣 What made that so costly was having to deal with about 6 or 7 vendors because of stocking issues and going back to the same vendor when stock was replenished...repeat -all for the price of several already overpriced shipping charges. Sad part with me is that when I find the best pellets for what I own, the rest will be dead baggage to me. The pellet samplers I've seen are all lacking in what I would like to try and have about enough pellets to test one gun with a given pellet choice. I have all I need now and I'll get there -and be up and running in a short time when I move.

You know what man? You really need a P1 to add a little pizazz to your basement pellet parties 🙃 LOL I believe you prefer scopes but those little Beeman pistol scopes pop up all the time on ebay. They would be a hoot in a basement! LOL

EDIT: Now that I think about it, an out of the box performance report on the R7 would be very interesting indeed!

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

when I find the best pellets for what I own, the rest will be dead baggage

^^This^^ is why I have so many plinking pellets, lol. And I won't need to melt any of them down for fishing sinkers because I already have several pounds of those! LOL

As for PA, they'll give me a tracking number once my order ships. Had no issues when I ordered the latest Blue Book of Airguns from them a short while back. But it did take a while to get the tracking on that order because they don't ship what they haven't been paid for, lol. Since I haven't heard from them the snail express apparently hasn't delivered my payment for the R7 to them yet. That's why I said the postal system is a mess, they can't seem to figure out what they're doing anymore. Was hoping that things with the postal system might have improved some but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Yeah, I'd like to have a P1. They look like fun. Maybe someday if I can find one at the right price. In the meantime, I'll keep poppin' away with my Beeman P17 and Daisy 717. Was a time when I could take advantage of the accuracy that either one of them has. But these days they're both more accurate than I can shoot them. 😦

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite

Won't be long now, Bo! 😀 I checked the status of my order earlier this afternoon and it showed that the snail had finally reached it's destination and PA was prepping my order for shipping! Got the email with tracking info a little while ago and it's scheduled to be delivered Sunday. I can almost smell that "NGS"* now!! 😎

* "New Gun Smell"  😉 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

I can almost smell that "NGS"* now!! 😎

Yeah, I love that first whiff! LOL Gotta love that 7 day FedEX service too!

LOL

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Gotta love that 7 day FedEX service too!

Had nothing to do with FedEx or PA. That was ALL on the part of the USPS. It's still severely messed up! From past experience from when things were "normal", that first class letter with my payment should have been in PA's hands in about 2 days. But the way things are now it took it 7 days(!!!) to go from SW Missouri to Solon, OH! FedEx is now in possession of the packages and is still scheduling delivery for Sunday so only two days in their hands, hopefully.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

Had nothing to do with FedEx or PA. That was ALL on the part of the USPS

I finally understood what you were trying to say from a previous post. USPS yep, the 'ol grey mare ain't what she used to be 😥 I can attest to that. Figured FedEx was delivering. They are the only ones who will deliver on Sunday aside from the little USPS Amazon express jeep. The Fed's 😉 have always been the fastest of them all for me on any of the 7 days. Sunday is pretty quick out to your location. That's awesome.

Jim, forgot to warn you...read all labeling before loading or you'll shoot your eye out...if you don't go blind from reading it first LOL Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite

Ha ha...No worries, Bo. I figured you'd catch on to what I was blabbering about sooner or later, lol. 😉  

I'm not sure I'll be able to read the labeling for the billboards! You know, like can't see the forest for the trees? 😜

Yeah, I've had fair luck with FedEx, too. But in these crazy times I'm not going to hold my breath on a Sunday delivery. Would be great if it shows up then, but I'll just have to wait and see how things play out. But I have a feeling that time is really going to be dragging it's butt for the next day or two! 😞 😝

ReplyQuote