More nostalgia  

RSS

JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-06 12:05:11  

CR1389

I remember when there was a whole vibrant community and very active forum dedicated to these guns.

ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
2019-11-06 12:27:30  

Hey Jim, please do us a favor and name that pistol conversion. It looks like a co2 pistol converted to a rifle to me. I think there were some LD's done that way, but I don't know if I'm looking at an LD or not. It could be some sort of PCP conversion for all I know. It's just not my area of expertise, although I'm sure others on the forum will instantly recognize it. Thanks!

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Ed, the Airgun TuneMeister

https://www.airguntunemeister.com/

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-06 12:35:25  

@ekmeister

Some of the old guys will get it.  Crosman 1389 Backpacker with 24" 1760 barrel, aftermarket aluminum breech, extended bolt probe, icemaker tube transfer port, flat-top piston and valve, stainless steel pivot pin.

It's just a pumper, Ed 🙂

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
(@rob-in-nc)
2019-11-06 12:39:01  

I recall the old Airgun Artisans site that really got me revved up for modding Crosmans and I did quite a few of them using RB grips and various bits and bobs available at the time.  Spent many a night plodding down numbers on a flat top piston vs regular and so forth..haha.  Good times.   Still keep a roll of icemaker tubing in my 'airgun junk' box for use on such!

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
(@rob-in-nc)
2019-11-06 12:42:31  

and the 1389 with the pull back cocking knob was great.  I do have a couple Crosman PCP pistol conversions built with the same type cocking mechanism.  Makes it much easier when using an aluminum breech such as the CB breech, which tended to gall a bit using the steel pellet probe.

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
2019-11-06 13:04:15  

@jiminpgh

Oh, thanks, I got it now. I've even shot one of those things before. A friend had one, and we shot it during his short visit. Maybe the color had me missing the pump lever.

Besides, that was more than 25 years ago. You know the old saying, I have trouble remembering what I had for supper last night LOL.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Ed, the Airgun TuneMeister

https://www.airguntunemeister.com/

ReplyQuote
Hooligan
(@hooligan)
2019-11-06 13:39:02  

That was my daughter's first airgun. Soon after she up graded to a Beeman R7 as an incentive for doing so well in school. Ya she's my boy, haha. Now hunts with a 7mm-08 and is a better shot than her dad! All began with the Crosman. Says a lot to starting the kids out young and with an air gun that is small and light enough to be fun for them.

Thanks for the post, brought back good memories!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Shambozzie
(@tharris281sc-rr-com)
2019-11-07 20:53:02  

20140707 175603 EFFECTS

ReplyQuote
stevevines
(@stevevines)
2019-11-08 05:47:50  

Yep, I still mess with this format, in fact, collecting parts for my first 22XX bottle conversion as I type lol -

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-09 13:02:56  

@stevevines

I'm still messing around with them as well.  Although the new Diana Chaser platform has pretty much supplanted the Crosman gas guns for me. 

Yesterday I put 10M match sights on the long-barrel 1389, and liked it so much that today I dropped stupid money on a walnut pump handle and buttstock at Alchemy Airwerks.  Good investment?  Hell no, but it'll be pretty!

ReplyQuote
stevevines
(@stevevines)
2019-11-10 06:56:57  

@jiminpgh

Wow -I've been spying that walnut buttstock - now I just wish he'd make one of the long fore-arms for the 2260 tube, like the one you could get from RB Grips lol -

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-10 12:29:21  
Posted by: @stevevines

@jiminpgh

Wow -I've been spying that walnut buttstock - now I just wish he'd make one of the long fore-arms for the 2260 tube, like the one you could get from RB Grips lol -

IMG 8874 1

IMG 8875 1

So like I said, I put some 10M sights on the thing, and it shoots like a dream at short range. 5 easy pumps give me 590FPS with 7gr RWS Basic wadcutters, and single hole accuracy.  The sight radius is almost 30".  Granted it'll never be a competitive match gun, given the sequence of load, pump 5 times, cock, then shoot.  Plus the trigger is standard Crosman issue, with a little polishing and moly, which helped, but not much.

But DAMN!  When I put those sights on it, it just screamed for serious furniture.  I'll put up some pictures when the lumber gets here and gets properly finished.  Might not win any 10M competitions, but might win a few bets.

ReplyQuote
desertplinkerforlife
(@desertplinkerforlife)
2019-11-10 14:35:55  

Hey Jim is the old Crosman green forum dead with no replacement?

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-10 16:46:00  
Posted by: @desertplinkerforlife

Hey Jim is the old Crosman green forum dead with no replacement?

Good to hear from you!  Still there, but not very active.  Seems when Network54 went down, so did a whole lot of the airgun community.

http://thegreencrosmanforum.proboards.com/

ReplyQuote

Translate »

Please Login or Register