Notifications
Clear all

More DIY targets

Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Somewhere I learned of an airgun game called Sniper.  The targets are supposed to be 9mm casings set at 10 yards.  The shooter is the sniper that needs to shoot the "bad guys." You get 5 targets and 10 shots to execute them.  I don't have a ready access to free casings so I made these little stick men from wood dowels (3/8 dowel cut to 3/4 inch.)  One rainy day I decided to embellish them a little.  I added the smiles and gave them weapons to defend themselves.  The first photo does not show the angle of the weapons so...  The man on the left has an RPG that is tilted slightly up.  His buddy has a rifle that is held level to the ground.  The middle photo is an intel photo of the terrorists on parade.  The last photo is new recruits getting their weapons.

DSC01167
DSC01144
DSC01138

Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

My wife saves the pill bottles for recycling.  We consistently forget to take them to the pharmacy so now I have a sizeable bunch of them.  I discovered that they make rather durable targets.  The bottles are tightly packed with dirt and then get a single wrap of duct/gorilla tape.  A target on the side is optional.  This test bottle survived a beating from my .177 Hatsan 105 springer at 15 yards without the pellets breaking through.  Another one, not pictured, faired the same when attacked with my .22 Marauder at 25 yards.

The targets are a good deal with the pack containing 360 dots.  If the spaces between the dots and the corners are used, the pack will yield 750 targets.

DSC01166
DSC01164
DSC01165

ReplyQuote
Arkmaker
(@arkmaker)
Rest In Peace

Old Skool...

download

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @arkmaker

Old Skool...

download

Yes I have seen those on the forums too.

The Sniper game targets are supposed to be what you would see of a man standing at 100 yards.  Someone had posted that the correct visual distance was 33 feet and I don't remember the additional inches. * http://www.minisniping.org/articles_petercapstick.html

The bottles are heavy enough to make swinging targets.  Extra long string makes them quite a challenge.

ReplyQuote
Arkmaker
(@arkmaker)
Rest In Peace

I ended up with a ton of empty 12 gram carts at one point. I cut the bottoms off and the flattened them in a vise. Hung from coat hangers at different distances,  they became a fun spinning challenge. A little spay paint on them helped to see the impacts at long distance.

The innovative targets people come up with is great. Right now, I have some chickens, rams, etc.. out in the shop I want to mount and get out in the yard. Someday? 😃

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

The term 12 gram carts is new to me.  Is that shorthand for the CO2 containers?

ReplyQuote
K_sqrd
(@k_sqrd)

Neat idea. At first glance I thought those were corks from wine bottles. LOL!

ReplyQuote
Napi
 Napi
(@napi)

@michael-m

I like that. Unfortunately I have a  inexhaustible supply of prescription bottles... can't believe I never thought of it... duhh

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

Instead of outright keeping score, I like to play something like the basketball game of "Horse."

Think of any naughty thing you can draw OR go online and print some images, or text.

Glue-stick these to some scrap plywood, 1/4" or the thinnest they have.

Now mark all the circular features, for example the fingernail on a middle finger, eyes, a butthole, teeth on a large face, etc.

Drill each mark, and insert 209 style shotgun primers.

The thin ply helps keep the blast going downrange, instead of allowing the primer to be propelled towards the shooter.

This image comes to mind for having lots of targets.

fart elevator peeps

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

@arkmaker  Although the targets are just molded plastic, I have some adversion to shooting my fellow soldiers in effigy.

I like your crest.

ReplyQuote
Arkmaker
(@arkmaker)
Rest In Peace

Posted by: @michael-m

The term 12 gram carts is new to me.  Is that shorthand for the CO2 containers?

Yes, the used up 12 gram co2 carts. They do get beat up pretty fast with .22 cal. Much better with a .177 Try it out. Cheap and easy to make. Make a nice ping on the hit and sends them round and round for a really good hit!

As for the army men- I get you. It's been since I was a kid since I shot them. Was at a shoot in Florida years back and some of the guys were shooting them at 25 yards or so. Actually looked kind of hard to do. 

Peeps are suppose to be in short supply right now due to covid. Saw it on tv. I remember lining them up at 50 and 75 yards for .22LR targets. Not very reactive if memory serves me

Necco wafers and aspirin I like because I can watch them explode 😊 Hooked a guy by gluing about 20 of those pink baby aspirins onto a 1/4" peice of plywood. He just couldn't get enough of that 😁

It's great to see people's faces when you tell them that you can hit an aspririn at 20-25 yards and then actually show them the paced off distance. They sometimes get that wide eyed look. Sometimes just think I'm bs'ing them too 

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

DSC01168

Another bored, rainy day project.  Had made some of the left targets and grabbed a marker to pass the time.

ReplyQuote
john-lap
(@john-lap)

I cut up the foam packing rings we get our pellets in, cut into strips the width of the packing, cut in pieces 1/2-3/4", nip the corners off and you end up with 1" octograms, paint as desired the black foam is hard to see, old eyes.They're reusable damn near indestructible.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

Posted by: @arkmaker

Peeps are suppose to be in short supply right now due to covid. Saw it on tv. I remember lining them up at 50 and 75 yards for .22LR targets. Not very reactive if memory serves me

Print image, mark eyeballs on thin ply, drill corresponding holes, insert shotgun primers, paste printed image on board over primers.

Make sure you put it far enough out to avoid frags, and encourage flyers 😉

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

If you would like targets that don't need cleanup, ice cubes make wonderful reactive targets.

ReplyQuote
Vincenator
(@vincenator)

Long lag type screws,aprox 6 to 8 inches long from local hardware store or long nails driven/screwed into tree aprox 1 to 2 inches with spoon handle bent with lineman plyers around screw/nail.Not to tight, as you want spoon to spin on shaft after being hit .(spoons from thrift store a few cents each) Also toy dinosaurs from dollar store,flea market. One of my favorite targets are brass  animals from thrift stores. Ballons with talcum powder,hung from tree branches.Did that one for my wife(50 pluss balloons,one for each year of age on her birthday,not my idea by my buddy Robs idea) Also use real estate sign holder,political sign holder to bend spoons on.Easily can be placed in the ground.Wine corks .Bottle caps screwed into 2x4 on thier edge with small self tapping screws.Walnuts on the tree,plentiful now.Paul Watts idea. Florescent colored price stickers from office supply store.Not sure if they still make notebook paper stick on hole reinforcement stickers.The list goes on....

love the pill bottle idea.

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincenator

Not sure if they still make notebook paper stick on hole reinforcement stickers. The list goes on....

The list of targets you provided are well known and I have used some of them.  As for the hole repair rings they are still available.

I'm glad you liked the pill bottles.  Hanging them on a 3 foot string is fun.  They move in random directions when they are hit.

Index Card

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Was bored and not feeling like doing anything.  Was making a few more targets and stole some of my wifes' craft paint.  I perked up and I'm making more of them.

DSC01170

ReplyQuote
Frank in Fairfield
(@frank-in-fairfield)

9715EED2 D5E2 4728 9C1C BDA16C91816F

You can buy these for a few cents at Harbor Freight.

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Thanks.  I have an assortment of those in my tool box though I had not thought of them as targets.

ReplyQuote
mtipton
(@mtipton)

I like these white plastic pill bottles. A lot of over the counter meds come in them. They make a nice “thock” sound when hit and bounce several feet. I sit on the steps to my deck and bounce them across my backyard and driveway. The difficulty level increases as they get further away.

They don’t break up and leave a mess.

56FE9209 5ABC 4BCD 8209 19B79B481E1F

ReplyQuote
liveliner
(@liveliner)

Been away for a while, posted frequently on the yellow not too much here. Hope to change that as it appears things have livened up here. Anyway, regarding DIY targets I have found that marshmallows, small ones, work out well. I hang them from trees and such at different heights & distances. Environmentally friendly, reactive, can take multiple hits and the impact report is stealthy quiet. 

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

@gratewhitehuntr  Shooting 22 LRs makes a nice bang but I think nail gun carts would be safer.

ReplyQuote
nervoustrigger
(@nervoustrigger)

Living in the southeast, one of my long time favorite reactive targets is Mardi Gras beads.  One parade and the supply lasts all year.

ReplyQuote
awilde
(@awilde)

Posted by: @nervoustrigger

Living in the southeast, one of my long time favorite reactive targets is Mardi Gras beads.  One parade and the supply lasts all year.

You must have had to flash your bullpup a lot for that 😋 

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Another good idea.

Yet Another Target Option | Airgun Talk | Airgun Warriors Forum

ReplyQuote
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)

I used to throw out a dozen plastic golf balls in the yard and the shoot at them with a low powered springer, with open sights.  The targets get farther away with each hit.  It was a fun game with a friend or my kids.

ReplyQuote
Jeff Marshall
(@jmars)

I use a low cost drill bit gauge with a pencil or red sharpie to make circles for targets.
Brightly colored, very low cost, and readily available gel beads that are used in floral arrangements make great targets. Mine are slightly larger than pea sized, and make a satisfying PAP! sound when struck by a pellet.

Here is a link to the original article "Mini-Sniping" by Peter Hathaway Capstick(Guns & Ammo Magazine, October 1984 issue).
http://www.minisniping.org/articles_petercapstick.html <

JW652 thanked
ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)

Posted by: @bob-in-wv

I used to throw out a dozen plastic golf balls in the yard and the shoot at them with a low powered springer, with open sights.  The targets get farther away with each hit.  It was a fun game with a friend or my kids.

Agreed.  The plastic or foam practice golf balls make great targets.  The foam ones last a little bit longer than the plastic ones.  Like Bob says, you hit them and they bounce a little bit further down range, steadily increasing the challenge.

For longer range than the backyard, years ago I bought a big bag of 2" plastic ball-pit balls.  They make a satisfying "thot" when hit, and also bounce down range.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

At first I though the wood dowels were wine corks floating in water !

But wine corks would make great targets... and they would float, but not straight up unless you weighted them... gotta be careful shooting stuff on water, I hear...never tried it !

Last year while I was outside sighting in an air rifle for chipmunks,  I shot a few plastic cap tops from milk cartons... just stuck to the top of my cardboard box target (stuffed with wrags) using masking tape.

I started saving all the plastic tops from all kinds of cartons that hold liquid... milk, broth, cider, etc... just keep adding them to a plastic ziploc bag.

My intention is to make a wire spring-tensioned holder for them that can be stuck in the ground, but haven't gotten around to it yet... but I still save the caps... saving wine corks too !

Airgun Targets Bottle Caps

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)

Many great ideas. I trail clean in a canyon area that allows shooting. The stuff people haul in, shoot up and leave is so aggravating. Leave no trace shooting is my thing. Biodegradable targets work great. Necco wafers, Ritz mini crackers, mini marshmallows or personal targets that you bring and leave with. You don't leave shell casings with airguns so please don't leave target debris.

Small example of the crap shooters leave.

Trail clean

I'm stepping off my soap box now. 😉 😊 

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Just curious how my first post got reposted.  Did I bump a wrong button?

ReplyQuote
Citizen K
(@citizen-k)
Administrator

@michael-m

Pagination. If a topic spans multiple pages the original post will automatically be the first post on the new page for reference purposes.

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincenator

Bottle caps screwed into 2x4 on thier edge with small self tapping screws.

This is an easier way to hold the bottle caps. This one is about 3 years old and this is the first clip to break (3 days ago).

DSC01196

DSC01197

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

@michael-m Plastic caps make great targets... I've been saving them up after plinking at a few stuck taped to the top of a cardboard target box last year.

I was going to try and make some sort of long wired spring-clamp to hold for shooting, but never got around to it.

The more I think about, using a roll of double-sided sticky tape would probably work best !

I'm going to give that a try !

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

I did the tape on cardboard for a while.  It worked just fine but this method is quicker.  The caps pop off when you shoot them so having to pick them up most likely negates the ease and time advantage.

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)

Just take a circular saw and rip a groove down some wood. Necco wafers or Ritz crackers work great. Leave the debris for the birds.

A wider groove would hold the bottle caps too. Router or several saw passes.

Cracker a

Cracker

With a large drill bit you can counter sink a row of divots to hold paint balls. Messy and you will want the board secure so a wood hit doesn't shake them off.

Cracker b

Cracker c

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Another target idea.

Shooting Orbeez water beads | Airgun Talk | Airgun Warriors Forum

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Hammer a nail 25 yards - Airgun Nation

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

Here is my newest DIY targets... I've been saving up the plastic caps from various grocery items... milk cartons, broth cartons, vitamin bottles, etc

Made it from a 36" piece of aluminum "C" channel with a 36" aluminum long bar stock riveted to the front for extra strength... couldn't find a similar size steel "C" channel locally... but the dented "misses" can be straightened a bit, or used to hold caps even tighter for multiple strikes.

I used steel rods from a political advertising sign to make the legs to stick the target tray into the ground.

I used some wood Popsicle sticks glued to the bottom of the tray to raise the caps up a little higher.

Works really great !

Airgun Target Tray Plastic Caps 1
Airgun Target Tray Plastic Caps 2
Airgun Target Tray Plastic Caps 3
Airgun Bell & Plastic Caps Tray Targets

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

I found a night time shooting thread on AGN.  Here is an idea I posted there.

This thread has given me an idea for a night time target.  Draw or print a target on copy paper and suspend it a bit above the ground (frame or box.)  The target needs to be high enough that pellets will pass over a light placed behind it.  Be sure to protect the light from fliers.

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Nice idea.  Would it be legal at a bench rest event?

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/i-love-my-wifes-nail-polish/?referrer=1

ReplyQuote