Mainspring Compress...

Notifications

Mainspring Compressor -Deal Alert  

RSS

straitflite
( @straitflite )
2020-02-09 17:02:02  

This compressor by Sun Optics has been discussed before but IIRC, they were much more$ than what I just stumbled on. I immediately grabbed one.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sun-optics-spring-compressor.html

There is a review of it here:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2016/09/mainspring-compressor/

I've seen where people over the years have come up with some pretty clever homemade ideas. I recall seeing someone even rigging up a spare tire jack. Anyway, I thought I would let y'all know.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of those homemade rigs again....post'em if you got'em!

Doug Wall
( @doug-wall )
2020-02-09 18:06:28  

Years ago, I built one of kind of similar design out of a couple of pieces of conduit, some wood blocks, and a piece of 1/2" threaded rod. Probably cost me about $10.

ReplyQuote
Hooligan
( @hooligan )
2020-02-09 18:10:28  

Great spring compressor, great price. Doubt it will ever be had for cheaper. That's the price I paid for mine serval years ago, still like new and extremely easy to use.

Great find,                                               cheers 

ReplyQuote
Prairie Farmer
( @prairie-farmer )
2020-02-09 18:59:39  

I made one from what scrap I had left from my shooting bench.  It accommodates all my HW models.  Protected mid length for the blueing, and rubber on the muzzle.  The mid block has two positions, and three length positions.  The screw has a rubber bumper that spins free of the screw, which really helps on the threaded end plugs.

Prairie Farmer 

josh3rd thanked
ReplyQuote
Citizen K
( @citizen-k )
Administrator
2020-02-09 19:14:16  

Chris Oldfield made a swanky one too: https://airgunwarriors.com/community/metal-shop/airgun-spring-compressor/#post-25147

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
( @davidenoch )
2020-02-10 15:25:59  

Thanks, I ordered one.  I wouldn't have bought one at $200 but at $75 it is a bargain.

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
Mikescouter
( @mikescouter )
2020-02-10 15:28:10  

I was recently told by Optics Planet that the Sun Optics spring compressor has been discontinued by the manufacturer. 

I purchased the spring compressor in December from Optics planet. It arrived with the box broken in half and parts missing. I returned it for a replacement. The second box had holes in it and again parts missing. Optics Planet slapped a shipping label on a box that was never meant to be a shipping carton. After complaining to Optics Planet about their crappy packaging or lack of, they reached out to Sun Optics for replacement parts. Sun Optic informed Optics Planet that the spring compressor had been discontinued and replacement parts were not available. Optics Planet informed me of the situation and I finally received a third spring compressor last week. The box had holes in it but all the part were present.

If you want one, get it while you can. Hopefully Optics Planet packs yours better than mine.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
( @straitflite )
2020-02-10 18:03:39  
Posted by: @mikescouter

Hopefully Optics Planet packs yours better than mine.

I hope so too! I feel like it may have been a gamble more than a deal now. I would have questioned them but I see tonight that it has already shipped. I'll reply here after I receive it, or maybe parts of it?

I see it is currently listed on Sun Optics website, but my feelings when I saw it for 77.xx$, was that they were probably discontinuing it as well.

http://sunopticsusa.com/spring-compressor-st1700/

ReplyQuote
Mikescouter
( @mikescouter )
2020-02-11 14:33:39  
Posted by: @straitflite

I see it is currently listed on Sun Optics website, but my feelings when I saw it for 77.xx$, was that they were probably discontinuing it as well.

http://sunopticsusa.com/spring-compressor-st1700/

It may be listed on the Sun Optics site, but there is no means to purchase. 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
( @straitflite )
2020-02-12 17:08:53  

That was quick! It arrived today after travelling 350 miles from Chicago. There were a couple small holes in the box. The box is pretty sturdy, its just that the metal corners should have been reinforced. I did notice where they had taped up a section where the adjustable bracket may have broke through but I don't put that on Optics Planet. I'd say that the packaging is how they received it from Sun Optics. Having said all that, Mikescouter has a good point. If you order one, ask for upgraded packaging.

Everything seems to be here. I have 4 bolts washers and 3 wing nuts left over that I removed from where the legs now pass through. Haven't dug into it yet but this should be better than my old way of doing a handstand on a receiver and saying "now honey, gently tap that pin out". 😉

IMG 0981
IMG 0982
IMG 0984

ReplyQuote
Regsmeeton
( @regsmeeton )
2020-02-12 17:48:37  

Well, I ordered one. Hope it arrives complete and undamaged. I have the tools and time to make a spring compressor, but not the inclination. Guess if this one doesn’t work out I’ll have to come up with some motivation.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Mikescouter
( @mikescouter )
2020-02-12 21:53:08  

Straitflite

I’m  glad yours arrived safely. The first 2 that I received, the box was very light weight. The first one barely resembled a box when I received it. The third box was much heavier. 

ReplyQuote
airmojo
( @airmojo )
2020-02-15 07:59:34  

I have the one that B-Square sold some years ago... looks like the same one... one of the best Christmas presents from my wife !

I mounted a couple pieces of red oak board to mine as a good sturdy base that I can clamp to my work bench.

Works great !

B Square Spring Compressor 2

ReplyQuote
straitflite
( @straitflite )
2020-02-15 09:19:30  
Posted by: @airmojo

I have the one that B-Square sold some years ago

they certainly do look identical. I like the boards. I don't have a garage or pole barn, sheds are full so I do everything in my man cave on my old very sturdy coffee table. Even if one doesn't clamp it to a bench, those boards will stiffen its stance. I'm thinking 3/4" thick and counter sink the bottom nuts and washers. Probably put acorn locking nuts (already have) on top of the fixed end and set it at a fixed height...hmmm. I don't anticipate needing to change elevation but I could be wrong. Thanks!

I'm like David Enoch. I could never bring myself to cross the threshold for $200 but at $77 -Count me in.

Prairie Farmer, yours is perhaps the nicest homemade rig I've ever seen aside from Mr. Oldfield's of course. Talk about custom! BTW, could I rent out a spot in your beautiful shop? 😀 

ReplyQuote
Regsmeeton
( @regsmeeton )
2020-02-15 09:44:14  

Mine camein yesterday. At a very quick glance, it appears to be complete. There was some damage to the box, but looks like everything is there. I don’t need it right away, but figure it will pay for itself down the road.

Jack

ReplyQuote
airmojo
( @airmojo )
2020-02-15 11:22:59  

@straitflite

The unit comes with the long carriage bolts, so they fit nicely into the 3/4" thick boards.

I then used rubber square feet on the bottom to elevate it a bit for the rounded carriage bolt heads... they also help keep it from sliding around, although I usually clamp it to the top of my workbench.

B Square Spring Compressor 4
B Square Spring Compressor 5

ReplyQuote
straitflite
( @straitflite )
2020-02-15 11:50:06  

@airmojo

AHA! That's the ticket.

Thank you.

airmojo thanked
ReplyQuote