HW98, HW97, AA Pro ...

Notifications
Clear all

HW98, HW97, AA Pro Sport or AA TX200...Which Would You Choose?

NalaJr
(@nalajr)
Topic starter  

Hey all. 

I've been reading and watching videos today on springer air rifles.  I’ve looked at both 0.177 and 0.22 cause I’m not really sure which one would fit my needs more.

These 4 Springers are the ones that come up nearly every tine if you start looking for the best or most accurate Springers.  It seems the HW97 is mentioned most, but I don’t know if it’s because it’s more common and less expensive than the other 3, or it’s just the best of the bunch.  
They’re all great rifles for sure. I saw plenty of stacking pellets on top of each other even out as far as 50 meters with all these rifles.  Some videos show shots farther....sometimes WAY FARTHER than 40-50 meters.  

I don’t think I could go wrong picking any one of them, but I’d like to get your thoughts and experiences as to what you feel is the best one to get for paper punching at mainly less than 40 meters, but maybe extended out to possibly 100 meters.  
If you had to pick only 1 and keep it for the rest if your days, which one would you choose and why?

Thank you kindly for your help and advice.  Have a great weekend everyone.  
Larry

bf1956 thanked
Harvey
(@harvey)

I have those.  

Once I had the HW97 I decided I was done.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Rick Vaeth
(@rick)

I have a hw98 I bought used, tuned to about 15 ft-lbs. I like the adjustable cheek rest, use it for Field Target occasionally, very accurate. But a whole different animal from my pcps I am used to shooting. Rick 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)

The lightest one...

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

Posted by: @teleamp

The lightest one...

That would probably be the HW98... I always sort of wanted one... I do have a TX200 and I like it a lot--very accurate, but pretty heavy... I have an HW77K and it's also very accurate, and also heavy.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
rich177
(@rich177)

I have had two X200s and a couple of HW break barrels.  They are good but I did not keep them.  I kept my ProSport and just bought a new HW97.  All are good.  The Prosport is a better offhand rifle than the TX.  The TX is better for Field Target.  Just my opinion.  I like all of the HWs.  Just personal preference.

Rick b. 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
DJNA
 DJNA
(@djna)

If we’re me, I’d get TX200 or the Hw98. They’re both in my list of future guns. I already have 2 HW97’s one in .177 & .22 and AA Pro Sport .177/  which are great guns to. If only can have one out of the bunch, I’d take The AA Pro Sport, one of my favorite springers. 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

The lightest one...

I own none of these, but have handled the TX200 enough to agree with the above comment.

Posted by: @airmojo

The lightest one...

That would probably be the HW98... I always sort of wanted one...

At first I read this as an endorsement of something he doesn't own. WHUT? Read again... Oh!

3 votes for HW98 (worth noting that unlike Airmojo, I AM endorsing something I don't own)

ReplyQuote
Harvey
(@harvey)

Of the guns you chose, yes.  The R11 is the lightest. Plus the adjustability of the comb(?) height is something which can't be overstated.  Not to mention you have more adjustability with the butt plate and pad.  This has been my go-to hunter for a lot of years now.

Mine was tuned by Paul Watts many years ago and the thing still feels great after I don't know how many rounds since.  The stock is pretty worn and I shot FT with it once or twice (I suck at FT but the game is crazy fun-people are Awesome)  Mine wears an old Legend 5-15 that's been rebuilt once.  The rifle has twice taken sparrows at lasered 88 (eighty eight) yards. Once by me, once by a friend to whom I handed the rifle.  

If you aren't going to rest the gun the majority of the time, take the R11.  If you are, then get the 97 if only for the implied difference between a fixed barrel and a break barrel.  Truth be told, I ain't a good enough shooter to say one of the two I personally own is better than the other.  Plus, my 97 only has about 2500 rounds through it.  It's still pretty new.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)

If asked to part with my TX200, Pro Sport or HW77 (all in walnut .177 cal.) I would be hard pressed to make the decision.

Each is special in their own way, and all way more accurate that I will ever be!

ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)

HW77 in walnut? Is that a custom stock? Please explain... thanks

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)

@bf1956

Yes, 25 year old CS500 stock. 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
jusanothajoe
(@jusanothajoe)

I have owned all three, the only one I still own is the 97K.

ReplyQuote
boscoebrea
(@boscoebrea)

I have them all to,the TX200 is the finer,but harder for me to load so I got a HW97K,easier to load, accurate and heavy,but I like it a lot.

The HW98,R11 is a target R9,being a break barrel it is the easiest load,plus has the stock adjustments to make it more comfortable to shot,which can make it easy for you to shot accurately.

The TX200 or HW97 are a bit more accurate than the HW98.

OK which one,97K...Because it is a .22,then the 98 .22 .I shoot left handed so I got a left handed TX200,but I am right handed person so the Loading port is on the left side,which for a right handed person is a bitch to load......now I know get a righT handed TX with a left handed stock.....yea right...but if I had that the TX WOULD BE MY BABY.

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

To summarize, the HW 98 is the lightest and easiest to load. It is also most adjustable and probably the easiest to cock.  Of the underlevers, the HW97 has the largest opening to load pellets, making it easier to load than a TX200. The TX200 in stock form is usually the most accurate of the bunch. The Pro Sport is the sexiest option with it’s hidden cocking lever but it is also the least reliable of the group due to a cocking lever that is most susceptible to damage. 

I would buy a TX200 carbine myself because I have a sexy TX200C stock needing a rifle  

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Darn it, you guys are talking ME into an HW98. And I already have 2  HW95's. Loading my HW77 is fiddly in comparison to a breaker.

ReplyQuote
fenderguy
(@fenderguy)

tx200 . have several . have 2 hw97 and one hw98 and a pro sport . they all are premiere air guns . of course the hw98 has the most adjustable stock and is the lightest of the 4 choices  . the tx200 and pro sport have the best trigger . i find it to be slightly better than the REKORD  , which is also excellent . the tx200 is the easiest to work on , if you want to tune . a 12 lb tune kit in a tx200 is super smooth shooting / easy cocking . probably my favorite choice of any springer .  if you plan on walking around in the woods hunting squirrels for several hours , the tx200 , pro sport and hw97 are all on the heavier side / maybe a pound and a half to two pounds more than the 98 . i do not know if that is a deal breaker for you , but i would be using something a little less expensive if I'm subjecting any of these fine weapons to scratching them up on  hunting trips . if hunting is your thing , maybe a used airgun with some existing cosmetic flaws would be the best way to go so you do not have to anguish over that first ding or scratch .  that's just me / i like mint condition airguns . another consideration is the HW50  - more LIGHTWEIGHT AND LESS EXPENSIVE THAN THE OTHER CHOICES - VERY ACCURATE BREAK BARREL,  you are not making a mistake with any of the choices , just be as realistic in what most of your shooting will be [ target , field target , hunting , plinking , competition,  etc ] 

ReplyQuote
Harvey
(@harvey)

@kwk

Fiddly loading ports.  I used to own a BSA Superstar in .177 and a Goldstar in .22.  If you want to talk fiddly the Superstar had that rotating design which was a little fiddly for hunting.  But the Goldstar's magazine was... hoo boy.  Like owning a Jaguar.

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Interesting, I don't find the RB2 loading ports difficult at all. Later Airsporters share the design. Rare BSA Polaris. As well as certain Gamos (CFX). Rotate to open the port, drop in the pellet and nudge it forward with your finger, close the port. Pretty simple IMHO. For me pop up taps are the worst. HW57, Gamo Stutzen. Next comes anything with a sliding breech.

ReplyQuote
fenderguy
(@fenderguy)

jaguar ? no thanks , definitely one for masochists . that is a sure ticket to a checkbook meltdown . BTW ,  i have a HW57 and i like it a lot . never had a problem with it . just make sure you push the pop up all the way down . what is so hard with that ? i guess there are those who could mess up anything . 

ReplyQuote