Notifications
Clear all

HW95 or HW97?  

RSS

Alphabeast
(@alphabeast)
October 4, 2020 17:38:08  

Hey all,

I was set on getting the HW97KT, especially as it came in black too, as well as the positive reviews. 

However (to my annoyance lol), I am seeing that HW95 is easier/quicker to load, plus lighter which is more handy for stalking.

Will the 700g between the two make that much difference? I.e. Is the HW97 okay to carry around for stalking? I have tried it it out in a RFD and it was pretty heavy and that was without a scope/silencer. Is the HW97 better for resting onto a rest rather than carry around?

Also, how much slower is a underlever to load than a break barrel?

I am wanting an air gun, more for stalking, but also target shooting as well. Quick reload would definitely help, so is break barrels better in this instance?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
October 4, 2020 18:09:29  

For "rapid fire" the break barrel is probably faster due to the scope covering the HW97 loading port, for accuracy I would give the edge to the HW97. Until the AA TX200 came out, the HW77/97 was the go to FT spring gun.

From my personal experience, I seldom get/need the second shot but when I did the under lever gun has never been a factor.

YMMV

Alphabeast thanked
ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
October 4, 2020 18:11:18  

so  1.98 lbs is a big deal, it amounts to a scope and mounts 

would a break barrel be easier to load, i would think so, i find almost all air guns that are h=beark barrels rifle or pistols are quicker 

i think i have read that the underlevers are less hold sensitive 

which one would be easier to mount a LDC, i would thing the 95

just some observation 

https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifles/hw-97-kt?lang=en

Alphabeast thanked
ReplyQuote
Alphabeast
(@alphabeast)
October 5, 2020 13:46:39  

@jim-bentley What if you needed that second shot? Let's say you saw 2 rats, moving around freely, barely stopping - in this case would a break barrel be better, i.e. for the second shot?

@marflow Thank you for that.

At the moment, I am leading towards the HW99, especially for 'quicker reload', front sight, and lighter than the HW95 / HW97.

ReplyQuote
SteveP
(@stevep)
October 5, 2020 15:30:58  

Who says you'll get a second shot since rats tend to spook easy...lol.

That said, I have a friend in a UK springer forum who swears by his 99's and owns both calibers. If you asked him, my guess is he'd say don't think about it, get the 99...lol.

Weight difference (if it matters) between it and a 95 which I do own in .22 is a touch over half a pound. It wears a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scope which adds 18 ounces to that and not bad at all stalking things.

Alphabeast thanked
ReplyQuote
Alphabeast
(@alphabeast)
October 5, 2020 17:23:56  

@stevep Haha true! I am quite analytical, so am 'seeing' possible scenarios ahead! lol

The HW95 range does seem very impressive, and at over half a pound it is not too much. I think I will have to find a RFD and compare the 2, but I am leaning towards the HW99s, more for the price (first gun) and foresight (which is a lovely addition) - which I am assuming can be fixed onto a HW95 if I wanted to?

In fairness, I would get the HW80 or HW98 if I had 'more experience' and 'money' - but not the end of the world. For someone, that wanted to buy a one air gun for life, something tells me this won't be my first or last purchase! 🤣 

ReplyQuote
SteveP
(@stevep)
October 5, 2020 17:27:49  

If you're meaning open sights, either should come with them, my 95 did and they're still on there even scoped.

HW95 Airmax

As far as only purchase?? Yeah, good luck with that...lol. My 95 was bought somewhere about the middle of the armory I used to own and I ended up buying something like 22 or 23 rifles after that one between a couple PCP's, a couple Co2's, a vintage Sheridan pumper and more springers 🙂

I'm back to 23 at this point so yep, the hobby can bite you...lol

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
(@forumairgunwarriors)
October 5, 2020 19:13:53  
Posted by: @alphabeast

Hey all,

I was set on getting the HW97KT, especially as it came in black too, as well as the positive reviews. 

However (to my annoyance lol), I am seeing that HW95 is easier/quicker to load, plus lighter which is more handy for stalking.

Will the 700g between the two make that much difference? I.e. Is the HW97 okay to carry around for stalking? I have tried it it out in a RFD and it was pretty heavy and that was without a scope/silencer. Is the HW97 better for resting onto a rest rather than carry around?

Also, how much slower is a underlever to load than a break barrel?

I am wanting an air gun, more for stalking, but also target shooting as well. Quick reload would definitely help, so is break barrels better in this instance?

Thanks in advance!

why not HW77K? 

kdhope thanked
ReplyQuote
Anonymous
(@forumairgunwarriors)
October 5, 2020 19:15:20  

I have an HW95 and it is my favorite. Granted, I don’t own a HW77/97 but I have held them...they are beefy

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
October 5, 2020 19:28:56  

IF, (and that's a big if,) I were in the market for a new HW springer, I would lean heavily towards the HW 85 from Krale.  Same powerplant as the 95/R9, but with a longer barrel, (easier cocking,) and a more elegant dedicated right-handed stock.

I used to own a full-length HW 77, and it was very capable, and VERY pretty!

ReplyQuote
Limbshaker
(@limbshaker)
October 6, 2020 06:46:59  

The HW97 is better in every way other than the heft. I don't find them any more cumbersome to load, personally. 

My preference is the 77K. They are a fuzz lighter without the brake on the end. 

No getting around the weight, but a lightweight scope sure makes a big difference. 

Gd7lAez

ReplyQuote
Limbshaker
(@limbshaker)
October 6, 2020 06:51:29  

The 99/50S is a very sweet shooting gun at around 10ft/lb. Choose your tune kit wisely, as the cocking effort can be tiresome. And the linkage on the older ones will usually eat itself until inoperable. Mine did. The linkage is "improved" with the plastic insert, but still a poor design IMO. 

I've had one for years, but rarely shoot it. I'd rather have an 11ft/lb 77/97 or 95. 

ReplyQuote
kdhope
(@kdhope)
October 6, 2020 12:39:49  

I hunted with a 77 k in 22 call for years and really liked it ,these days Inuse a Hw 80 in 22 and a 95k in 177.

The 95 with a leupold 3x9 on it, is lighter than any of them and is my go to.

I have a Tx 200 for ft.,and have hunted with my Prosport also but prefer the 95k overall...kelly

ReplyQuote
boscoebrea
(@boscoebrea)
October 6, 2020 14:25:12  

I have both,the break barrel is faster loading better for walking with and almost as accurate,my 95 is .20 a great cal.it is also "tuned".

My black 97 is .22 a tad heavy,it is a great shooter,I would properly put a sling on it for carry....it is a better "rest"rifle.

What to get,I think the 97 is the better rifle,the 95  is a faster,lighter rifle,I am glad I have both,but to answer your question =in the woods the 95 is my choice,open country the 97.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
October 6, 2020 15:02:23  

Followup shots on rats?

CO2 and a magazine

or

Whatever you chose, and a big rock for the coup de grâce.

Last week, when waiting for a rat #2 to pop it's head up, my arms were burning SOOOOOO bad after 15 mins... I got 1 stinking rat, then loaded the bait station. To heck with that game.

My .22lr was lighter than the guns in question by at least a kilo.

If I HAD to choose, break barrel.

Thank God I don't, and I opt for the canned 10-22.

I'm pointing out my choice of platform because it's fast, but none of that matters, because the rats disappear after the 1st shot.

+1 on the sling, Whelen Carry style.

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
October 6, 2020 16:20:23  
Posted by: @gratewhitehuntr

Followup shots on rats?

CO2 and a magazine

I concur.  If I still hunted, I would carry my .177 Diana Chaser with the pistol barrel, shoulder stock, and 9 rnd magazine.  It's light, compact, and shoulders easily.  I'd be happy to drag such a small arm thru heavy brush, and be equally happy to carry it all day.

But that's not what the OP was asking.  Again, I would look good and hard at the HW 85.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
October 6, 2020 16:56:17  
Posted by: @jiminpgh

But that's not what the OP was asking.  Again, I would look good and hard at the HW 85.

Yeah, I get that, and answered, break barrel is faster, but not in a meaningful way.

If limited on power, and shooting rats, I'd pick something light and handy. CO2 came to mind, but I totally understand the interest in springers. In the long run, a springer is a solid choice, with less issues (assuming it isn't a lemon)

Posted by: @alphabeast

... something tells me this won't be my first or last purchase! 🤣 

And now I'm helping him to start thinking about his next purchase 🤩

Purchases... he knows what time it is! 🤩 🤗 😍 🤗 🤯 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 🤑 

Gonna need a holosight or red dot on that, BTW.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Chaser_CO2_Air_Pistol/4612

Check it out OP, it's plenty to kill rats, and you'll find this form factor MUCH nicer for CQB.

I'd go .22 and run soft wadcutters.

https://www.pyramydair.com/images/PY-P-1270_Daisy-PrecisionMax-22-Cal_1463411498.jpg

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
October 6, 2020 17:37:58  
Posted by: @gratewhitehuntr

Gonna need a holosight or red dot on that, BTW.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Chaser_CO2_Air_Pistol/4612

Check it out OP, it's plenty to kill rats, and you'll find this form factor MUCH nicer for CQB.

I'd go .22 and run soft wadcutters.

I have an Adco 1" R/G dot sight in a BKL 3-strap 4-screw single piece mount on my Chaser.  Very tidy package.  For hunting, I would remove the VERY effective moderator and put the barrel cap back on, just to make it even shorter and handier.  No real need for sound moderation in predator mode.  Also, the trigger on the Chaser is really sweet, and nicely adjustable.  I would recommend adding Steve-in NC's free-flight hammer debouncer.  It improves gas mileage by about 30% with no loss of power.

But we're getting pretty far afield of the 95-97 debate...

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
October 6, 2020 18:37:28  
Posted by: @jiminpgh

But we're getting pretty far afield of the 95-97 debate...

That's what I do 😉

These work well for compact packages.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
October 6, 2020 18:39:34  

I would recommend the R9/HW95... I always recommend it to people I know, if they actually want a quality spring piston air rifle.

Don't have an HW97, but I do have a very nice HW77K in .20 that I bought years ago from an estate sale.

I love this air rifle, and it is heavy, but I have heavier ones... and it is extremely accurate and fun to shoot.

Don't see too many of us long-time avid airgunners with just one air rifle !

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
October 6, 2020 18:54:02  

Guys, Alphabeast is in the UK which has strict power limits for air pistols that make them border line for nearly any kind of pesting. Rats are fairly tough critters and require a dose of lead traveling at a decent velocity. Myself, I wouldn't use anything that puts out less power than an HW30, and pretty much any UK legal air pistol will fall into that category. So with that in mind, I'd also go with the recommendation of the HW95. But I'd lean toward the HW95 Luxus (same as our Beeman R9) because the forearm of the stock isn't quite as rounded on the bottom as the standard HW85/95 stock and, to me, that makes it a bit more stable in the hand, especially if scoped.

ReplyQuote
Hotair
(@hotair)
October 7, 2020 03:45:03  

If you are only going for rats the 177 HW30s/Beeman R7 would do just fine and probably quickest follow up shots with very low cocking effort and low noise. Very light weight and very accurate and easiest to shoot accurately with very little recoil compared to all other guns mentioned plus it's the cheapest too. Accuracy is first rate and a real joy to shoot all day long with no fatigue from cocking it.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
October 7, 2020 10:25:33  

@hotair I agree... I bought an R7 for my son to shoot years ago... he's no longer living at home and lives in an apartment... so I get to shoot it, and it is a joy to shoot... easy to cock and accurate... I have a Beeman 66RL 2-7x32 scope on it, which seems perfect for it !

Beeman R7 4

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)
October 7, 2020 10:58:29  

@hotair

The HW30/R7 gets another thumbs up from me, too. Mine is the 30S with a BSA Essential 2-7x32 on it. And I agree with airmojo, the 2-7x32 size scopes are a good fit on the 30S/R7. Mine is in .177 and shooting at about 635fps. At the appropriate range for it's power and with a good wadcutter I think it would be an ideal rat gun.

IMG 1871 HW30S

ReplyQuote
SteveP
(@stevep)
October 7, 2020 11:19:42  

Have one of those too thanks to my girlfriend wanting to buy me an anniversary present. Beeman version R7, Huntington Beach, although mine is in .20 caliber and wears a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scope. Silly accurate out to the 30 yards I shoot with both FTT's and the heavier JSB 13.73's and blooded before I finished sighting it in to boot. Been deadly on both squirrels and chipmunks.

R7 6
R7 Target 20 yards
R7 .20 20 yards

ReplyQuote
Hotair
(@hotair)
October 8, 2020 04:22:27  

These light weight easy to cock HW30s/R7s sure are super easy to hit whatever you aim at compared to high powered springers thats for sure. They shoot sort of like match rifles. Never recalled ever having an "off" day shooting any one of mine.

Edit: Heads up!!! $160 for a T05 22 cal RWS 34 shorty chopped from the breech end. That's a great deal on the classifieds!

ReplyQuote
Harvey
(@harvey)
October 13, 2020 22:54:12  

My post... weird...

anyhow:

I would recommend the HW35, honestly.  It's got a little more grunt than a factory HW55.  They are beautiful, handle very well, (I use mine for pest birds) and are distinctive in HW's line.

Something I've always appreciated about HWs is their excellent sporter open sights.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
October 17, 2020 16:43:13  

Nom Nom

hw35e

ReplyQuote