HW30 0r R7, which w...

Notifications
Clear all

HW30 0r R7, which would you buy new?

(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

Not wanting to buy, but might... (long story)

I will need to save up for a few months. So, there is time to research.

I have already gone the used route and it has not panned out so far... (long story)

Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Same action so basically depends on which stock or which version of the HW30S you like best. The current R7s have a traditional style stock with checkering which has the long forearm that covers the barrel block. AoA has 5 different versions of the HW30S,  including one with a "stainless look" finish on the metal and one with a synthetic stock. The standard HW30S has a plain Jane stock with no checkering but has the long forearm. UNLESS they've got the new version of the HW30S which now comes with the newer stock with checkering and the "cutout" on the bottom of the butt. The HW30S Deluxe has a checkered stock but it has a shorter forearm that doesn't cover the barrel block. So if you should decide to get an HW30S thru AoA I would suggest calling them first to find out which stock is on the gun you want.

BTW, I have both a standard HW30S with a Williams peep sight on it and an R7 that will soon be scoped. Like both about the same. But I do give a nod to the R7's checkered stock simply because I like the checkering.

Other than not being able to find a front sight, what's the issue with your pre-safety R7?

ReplyQuote
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo Can't discuss here...

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@teleamp

Fair enough.

Hope you can get something figured out so you can enjoy the sport like you were wanting to.

ReplyQuote
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo

Oh, I will, it will just take time to save up... $50/mo and by next year...

ReplyQuote
(@tripleguy)

How badly could a vintage gun  be screwed up that it has to be written off?? I mean as long as the barrel is OK and the cylinder is within spec I'd think a competent tuner could have it working without too much effort. It might be worth checking on before you drop money on a new one.

ReplyQuote
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@Bill S.

It is not in my possession. I have asked for the parts to be returned, evidently it got disassembled then the work stopped. As long as the trigger unit is in tact, I think I can reassemble. In the mean time...

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

The newer HW30 stocks are not exactly beautiful. IMHO. The beech they are using has all the charm of a checkered baseball bat. My preference is the older R7 stocks. Fits my big hands better and looks better too. My next choice would be the new R7 stock. They're not too bad.

Older stock

IMG 3788

ReplyQuote
(@tripleguy)

I would not hesitate buying a used one especially if it had newer internals. Depends on how old I guess. Anything under 20 years old would probably have good seals unless it had thousands of rounds fired. My preference would be a used Beeman before they printed a books worth of warning lables roll pressed into the receiver. There are a lot of them out there. 

ReplyQuote
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@tripleguy

Thanks, I'll look around once I have the money saved up...

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

R7. Better looking overall and a chance to own one before they completely disappear, but that is just my reasoning.

teleamp thanked
ReplyQuote
(@bilrus61)

Oh I just love my new hw30s. With the new stock. It is lighter and trimmer than the other stocks. The wood is just as good and if anything the bluing is better than the older guns. Very tight also. So much so it seems the ball lockup isn't working well but with some oil and about half a tin of pellets shot the ball bearing snaps that barrel back now. If your thinking of tuning a hw30 to get more velocity just get the hw50s. The perfect air rifle in my opinion. The Goldilocks air rifle.

ReplyQuote
(@jim-bentley)

I’d buy the least expensive, and watch JM’s specials for a walnut stock. 

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Posted by: @jim-bentley

watch JM’s specials for a walnut stock.

I have 2 of Jims walnut stocks on HW50's but after talking to him a couple times on the phone, you won't see any HW30/R7 stocks ever come from him now or in the future. He is selling off his patterns though IIRC. He has posted that he has sold off all his stock making tooling so what he has left in stock is all you will see from him. That was my take on it. FWB 124 & HW50's is about all he has left.

ReplyQuote