Hawke Airmax 4-12x4...

Notifications
Clear all

Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 adjustable objective very difficult to turn  

RSS

tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-15 00:42:55  

I got a Hawke 4-12x40 AO for my new Air Arms TX200 from Pyramyd yesterday and I find the adjustable objective is very difficult to turn. I have to literally take my whole right hand to turn it. Its even more difficult with my left hand – arthritic thumb joint. I'm assuming it will get a bit easier with use  – but, how much easier. I don't know if there's anything to be done about this. Any suggestions?

Chachoze
(@chachoze)
2020-03-15 08:41:26  

I have the same scope and in an email exchange with Hawke they informed me that that stiffness is a part of its "springer" rating or more specifically it uses a heavier grease(if thats what it is) to prevent the AO from moving during firing.

If your using it indoors and it feels stiff wait until you take it out into colder weather,  it will feel like you need a vice-grips to turn it.  Mine went back for warranty repair due to the AO was very inconsistent when it was turned, sometimes it felt very loose then very stiff all the way around.  The replacement feels more consistent although it is firm.

Chachoze

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-15 12:08:43  

Thanks for that info Chachoze. Since I just got it Thursday I’m going to contact Pyramyd and Hawke about a replacement. I have arthritis in the thumb of my left hand and with that it’s just impossible to turn the AO when in a shooting position due to the stiffness of the objective.

ReplyQuote
doninva
(@doninva)
2020-03-15 15:27:30  

Have had 4 of the Airmax scopes and all were stiff. I just set down and turn them from 10 yards to infinity about 50-100 times and they will smooth out nicely. Don

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-15 15:34:36  
Posted by: @doninva

Have had 4 of the Airmax scopes and all were stiff. I just set down and turn them from 10 yards to infinity about 50-100 times and they will smooth out nicely. Don

Well I'll give that a try. Pretty much everything is cancelled today so I have some time for just that kind of thing. 🙂

ReplyQuote
dcw
 dcw
(@dcw)
2020-03-15 19:40:38  

jeeeeeeeezz...I have a Hawke 30SF and I don't like the 4" side wheel so I ordered a 2" from Hawke...$33.00 for the wheel and $10.00 for shipping! 😯 😪

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-15 21:25:30  
Posted by: @dcw

jeeeeeeeezz...I have a Hawke 30SF and I don't like the 4" side wheel so I ordered a 2" from Hawke...$33.00 for the wheel and $10.00 for shipping! 😯 😪

I had one of those years ago. I didn't like the 4 inch wheel either. I think I just took it off and used the remaining knob. But then, I wasn't doing field trial or anything that required that much precision at the time. This is not an inexpensive hobby for most of us. 🙄 

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-16 14:06:41  

Well I've decided to replace the scope. I've sent an email to Pyramyd to make sure I can return it since it has been mounted. And – it was bought as a part of the package deal for the Air Arms TX200 they offer. Hopefully, I can return the scope because I'm sure not returning the rifle and mount. If I can't return it, Hawke may replace it too – that's an option.  If I get no joy from either Pyramyd or Hawke then I'll just list it for sale since there's nothing wrong other than the adjustable objective is too stiff for me to use with my arthritic left thumb.

ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
2020-03-17 17:15:05  

Hawke has excellent customer service.  Contact customer service and they will exchange it, I'm sure

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-17 18:36:52  

The Hawke rep offered to have me send the scope to them for review but, given that so many others have had the same issue, I'm thinking a stiff objective (although surely not as stiff as mine) is normal. I've had Hawke scopes over the years including their highest end models and I don't remember that being an issue. Of course I didn't have this thumb issue then either. With that being said, I returned the scope to Pyramyd this morning for a refund. I have purchased a Sightron Field Target series scope to replace it. I have one of these on a high-end .22 and like it. The objective on that one is easy to move.

ReplyQuote
boscoebrea
(@boscoebrea)
2020-03-18 13:35:28  

Yep got Basal Joint Arthritis in both thumbs...been putting off the operation for 2 years...pain,thing is my thumb joint gas gotten a lot bigger and hurts less...the operation to get is "small cable" one,guys tell me after they get it have about 80% use of thumb...check it out and those that have had please let me know about it....

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-18 14:45:08  
Posted by: @boscoebrea

Yep got Basal Joint Arthritis in both thumbs...been putting off the operation for 2 years...pain,thing is my thumb joint gas gotten a lot bigger and hurts less...the operation to get is "small cable" one,guys tell me after they get it have about 80% use of thumb...check it out and those that have had please let me know about it....

My wife has had the carpel-metacarpel mini tightrope procedure in both thumbs. Her left one was done about 14 months ago and it is as good as it ever was. She just had her right one done in mid-January of this year and is still recovering. With this procedure you are only in a cast for a couple of weeks, then a brace, therapy, etc. She's had a bit more inflammation and nerve pain from her right thumb than she did from her left but the outlook is good. This procedure has a much shorter recovery time than an older procedure that involved cutting muscles up your arm and using them or something like that. I'm a computer guy - not a doctor - so that's about as technical as I can get medically.

ReplyQuote
boscoebrea
(@boscoebrea)
2020-03-18 15:39:46  

Thank you for  information,I will get that operation...and know about the other one.....

ReplyQuote
Bill Day
(@bill-day)
2020-03-19 08:58:43  

@boscoebrea

As we all know it sucks getting old. Both my thumb joints are gone. Can't even twist off a beer cap any longer. Was suppose to have surgery on my left hand last December and my right one in February. Just before my first surgery was due I was informed by the Doc doing the surgery that most likely I would not be able to use my left hand for 6 to 8 weeks. I then realized I had no one to shovel off my roof so I cancelled both operations. I picked up some copper fit tight gloves that help with the pain and they do give my hands a little more use but their is no good time to lose that much time because of your hands. I spend a lot of time year round shooting airguns and front objectives are the hardest for me to turn. I solved that problem with a order of those heavy duty adjustable tie wraps. They give you something to push against and work great. As for the side objectives put a hair dyer on them and work the knob back and forth until it gets easier . A coma shape wheel also enables you to use more of your hand than just the pinching of your thumb and forefinger.

Alieve or Tylenol also helps with the pain but you have to keep ahead of the pain. Cortizone shots worked well for a few years but if you have ever had one you know they are not much fun and eventually they didn't last very long.

ReplyQuote
tangle-eye
(@tangle-eye)
2020-03-19 10:04:03  

You’re right Bill - not a lot of fun growing old.

ReplyQuote