Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-17 22:17:21  

Today we examine the Hatsan125 Vortex .25

pluric thanked
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-17 23:33:39  

I had two Hatsan springers. I think they were Snipers? Been a while. I've never disliked any guns more than I can think of. I tried everything to get them to group. Air strippers, countless pellet tests, clean the barrels, different holds, rested you name it. Most frustrating things I've ever shot. The .25 was a bear to cock and left my arm aching after a shooting session. The .22 was better but still never grouped well. There was a running thread I had in another forum that documented my efforts with those guns. 

"Groups like a Hatsan" became the code word for a gun that didn't shoot well. I literally gave them away because I felt too guilty selling them to someone.

Now their PCP stuff has been just the opposite for me. I have high praise for the accuracy for the price break.

Looks like you like yours. I'd like to see a paper test on the grouping. I seldom shoot springers anymore due to the bad taste the Hatsan's gave me. I should say Magnum springers. I love the HW30 and R7. 

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
2020-02-18 01:24:10  

My Hatsan Sniper 125 in .25 caliber was a challenge to shoot accurately.

LITERALLY ... Pulled the Trigger on New .25 Caliber H125 Sniper with Black Stock

But, with some practice ... my 125 shot well-enough for me

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=35627.msg351959#msg351959

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-18 09:47:32  

That was an interesting read. Must have had some good drama to close it, delete comments and then reopen it again. I never had my gun tuned. I honestly did try to get it to group tighter. I never had anything close to what the prime poster had in that thread. It also became a matter of not liking the size and weight of the gun. Wasn't practical for my use.

About the same time I'd purchased a Cricket PCP in a .25. Game changer. Why would I want to cock that beast and put up with the size and weight when I had that option? It was a time when I would buy stuff just to try it. I still do, just not springers anymore. 

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
2020-02-18 10:48:49  

Tuning my .25 caliber 125 Sniper Hatsan was more of a "final quality control check."  At the time I purchased my Hatsan ... Hatsan quality control was sporadic - at best.

I also had Mike Ellingworth stone and adjust the quattro trigger - Mike's work with Hatsan triggers was a bit controversial in this regard. 

As-for a springer vs PCP ... not a fair or realistic comparison - the shooting characteristics are so divergent.

Until recently, the cost-of-entry in the the PCP realm was prohibitive for most entry-level shooters.

But, if ya can afford-it ... going PCP is a no-brainer.

But, I have a soft-spot for springers ... kinda-like bow-and-arrow vs black-powder-burner.

Each has their appeal - to each ... his own.

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-18 11:52:14  
Posted by: @aom22

Tuning my .25 caliber 125 Sniper Hatsan was more of a "final quality control check."  At the time I purchased my Hatsan ... Hatsan quality control was sporadic - at best.

I also had Mike Ellingworth stone and adjust the quattro trigger - Mike's work with Hatsans was a bit controversial in this regard. 

As-for a springer vs PCP ... not a fair or realistic comparison - the shooting characteristics are so divergent.

Until recently, the cost-of-entry in the the PCP realm was prohibitive for most entry-level shooters.

But, if ya can afford-it ... going PCP is a no-brainer.

But, I have a soft-spot for springers ... kinda-like bow-and-arrow vs black-powder-burner.

Each has their appeal - to each ... his own.

I look at it as being able to purchase skill. 😉  Too lazy to learn to shoot a springer well, so just buy ability. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-18 20:59:08  

There is a curve to shooting break barrel rifles. They are like people you need to get to know them each one is very individual even in the same model. 

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-19 00:31:51  
Posted by: @septicdeath

There is a curve to shooting break barrel rifles. They are like people you need to get to know them each one is very individual even in the same model. 

Just like some people, I think the Hatsan's I happened to own were assholes. 😉 🤣 

I'm sure they didn't think much of me either. 😏 

Septicdeath thanked
ReplyQuote
Pistoleer
(@pistoleer)
2020-02-22 20:26:08  

I have to agree w pluric- started squirrel chasing in a horse ranch with a hatsan 125 sniper in .25 Cal. It would group 2 pellets and the third would go into another county. I had a mentor, an older fellow who had tuned .20/.22 Cal exotica springers, guns that he could really shoot and it was the same deal for him shooting the hatsan pp- the results were appalling no matter who shot it 

Went the pcp route after that and flattened out the squirrels, never looked back. The hatsan had the paper spec's but didn't deliver those specs on paper 

I feel I gave it a fair chance w thousand of pellets, all brands weights and types. Artillery hold, chrono results and even had hatsan tell me I voided the warranty cause it had too many shots through it. I paid to have them repair it and traded it for a gamo .177 that could hit a beer can placed at 25 yards 

I also remember fondly the anticipation of looking at a ground squirrel through the scope, knowing it was in range but unsure where that pellet was going to fly.... It was exciting stuff. The one benefit of that particular rifle was that if it did hit something, it died. If it missed, sometimes the impact was far enough away that I could recock and reload for another try at the brass ring. 

Buy once, cry once. A hard lesson but well learned. 

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-22 21:39:41  

That makes me feel better. Same experience. Just never had an explanation of why it shot so inconstant.

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-23 08:42:51  
Posted by: @pluric

That makes me feel better. Same experience. Just never had an explanation of why it shot so inconstant.

As you can see from my video mine shoots well. With open sights no less. I do know that Hatsan had some problems  early on. But for the last couple years their quality  has gone way up. When did you purchase the rifle?

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-23 09:48:48  

@septicdeath

About 4 years ago.

It was just as Pistoleer  said, I'd get a few good shots and think "okay, it's fine now" and then it would open up to where I didn't feel safe shooting it in my back yard. The .22 was better, but not by much. I'd see the online videos of people saying how accurate they were and that only added to the frustration. 

I just had the expectation it would shoot like my other springers. HW97, R9, R50 etc, they just never would.

I also got little pleasure shooting the .25. Accuracy aside, it was a beast. The cocking, recoil and size just made it a chore to shoot. 

The gentleman I gave them too was appreciative and said he'd been able to hit squirrels with the .22. I could see that. I believe, for me, much of it was expectation. I'd been shooting guns that had impressive accuracy. I now expected everything to be capable of the same performance.

It's funny how my progression went from being happy to hit a pop can to I better be able to put every shot in the pull tab.  PCP's do that to you. 😆 

Rick

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-23 12:15:55  

@septicdeath

About 4 years ago.

It was just as Pistoleer  said, I'd get a few good shots and think "okay, it's fine now" and then it would open up to where I didn't feel safe shooting it in my back yard. The .22 was better, but not by much. I'd see the online videos of people saying how accurate they were and that only added to the frustration. 

I just had the expectation it would shoot like my other springers. HW97, R9, R50 etc, they just never would.

I also got little pleasure shooting the .25. Accuracy aside, it was a beast. The cocking, recoil and size just made it a chore to shoot. 

The gentleman I gave them too was appreciative and said he'd been able to hit squirrels with the .22. I could see that. I believe, for me, much of it was expectation. I'd been shooting guns that had impressive accuracy. I now expected everything to be capable of the same performance.

It's funny how my progression went from being happy to hit a pop can to I better be able to put every shot in the pull tab.  PCP's do that to you. 😆 

Rick

I've never worried about getting quarter size groups. My rifles are tools. If I can hit a pop can or something 3x4 inches at 35+ yards consistently I'm good. That's all I need for hunting.. I usually hunt big game with muzzleloader's  it's kind of the same principal. You only need one shot if you miss to bad. Better luck next time.

It may be a longer shot with the BPB"s but it's pretty much the same. Hunting with the single shot adds a level of excitement to the experience.

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-23 12:28:39  

@septicdeath

I used to be the same way. It's when I started shooting paper that I got picky. Paper doesn't lie. 😉 

Rick

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-23 12:54:55  

@septicdeath

I used to be the same way. It's when I started shooting paper that I got picky. Paper doesn't lie. 😉 

Rick

These are the clay targets I make and shoot. I hit them on a very consistent basis. I practice at my home range 40 yards at least two or three times each week, and hunt at least 40 times each year.  The clay targets don't lie. I shoot only with open sights. They are about the same size as a squirrel or rabbit head. Rock Chuck's are easy.        If I were to scope a rifle I'd probably do better. Unless your shooting competition tiny groups don't matter.

IMG 20200223 094202

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-23 13:07:52  

They don't lie 😁

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-23 16:36:09  

@septicdeath

Yep, that's what has changed for me. I started to shoot in a few competitions. Sitting in my back yard I'm trying to hit pencil lead size dots at 25 yards. Rested of course. I REALLY suck at open sights. 😟 That's what I mean by the paper doesn't lie. You instantly see the variance. My son is in the back yard right now. He felt his Uragan Compact was a little off. Cleaned the barrel and pulled mine out to compare. We are talking 1/8 to 1/4 inch spread. He wants hole in hole at 28 yards.

He was using a Nightforce  scope. I asked him to humor me and try a different scope. Put a Hawke Sidewinder on and his POI tightened up. He was smiling again.

Also interesting was I had a FX mini chrony hanging on the shroud end. The barrel ends just outside of the gun body. So no stress on the barrel. When I removed the chrony the gun shot high. I could see maybe clipping on the moderator but it grouped great with the chrony on. Just that had an effect on the POI. Never zero with anything that will be removed when done.

Rick

Septicdeath thanked
ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-23 17:01:02  

@septicdeath

Yep, that's what has changed for me. I started to shoot in a few competitions. Sitting in my back yard I'm trying to hit pencil lead size dots at 25 yards. Rested of course. I REALLY suck at open sights. 😟 That's what I mean by the paper doesn't lie. You instantly see the variance. My son is in the back yard right now. He felt his Uragan Compact was a little off. Cleaned the barrel and pulled mine out to compare. We are talking 1/8 to 1/4 inch spread. He wants hole in hole at 28 yards.

He was using a Nightforce  scope. I asked him to humor me and try a different scope. Put a Hawke Sidewinder on and his POI tightened up. He was smiling again.

Also interesting was I had a FX mini chrony hanging on the shroud end. The barrel ends just outside of the gun body. So no stress on the barrel. When I removed the chrony the gun shot high. I could see maybe clipping on the moderator but it grouped great with the chrony on. Just that had an effect on the POI. Never zero with anything that will be removed when done.

Rick

The only competition I shoot in is both my sons and I set up three clays each. We get five shots. All of us put $5 in the kity. Whoever hits the most targets in five shots wins. If we hit all three each and have extra pellets from five one more clay gets set up for each of us. Most hits out of five walks away $10 richer. We have only had to use a tie breaker a few times.

Each of us can pick whichever rifle you like best in our arsenal. And always shoot freehand open sights. My oldest is amazing. Just a true natural shooter of any weapons.

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-23 19:17:13  

The only competition I shoot in is both my sons and I set up three clays each. We get five shots. All of us put $5 in the kity. Whoever hits the most targets in five shots wins. If we hit all three each and have extra pellets from five one more clay gets set up for each of us. Most hits out of five walks away $10 richer. We have only had to use a tie breaker a few times.

Each of us can pick whichever rifle you like best in our arsenal. And always shoot freehand open sights. My oldest is amazing. Just a true natural shooter of any weapons.

Well, I've never met a thread I couldn't derail. 😉 😏 

Shooting with my son is what keeps me going. I think that was his main reason for coming over today. I'd out shot him in the first event of a four session indoor competition. It's been eating at him. 🤣 

I'd made this Duck Shooting Gallery for some friendly father/son smack down. Off hand, 25 yards, 5 shots, 30 seconds and we are off. 😎 

Septicdeath thanked
ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
2020-02-23 19:31:24  

Looks like a giant Necos candy.

Septicdeath thanked
ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2020-02-23 19:39:21  

Well, I've never met a thread I couldn't derail. 😉 😏 

Shooting with my son is what keeps me going. I think that was his main reason for coming over today. I'd out shot him in the first event of a four session indoor competition. It's been eating at him. 🤣 

I'd made this Duck Shooting Gallery for some friendly father/son smack down. Off hand, 25 yards, 5 shots, 30 seconds and we are off. 😎 

Hard to derail someone that's been off the tracks as long as me.

I'm your first YouTube subscriber

ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
2020-02-24 10:50:33  
Posted by: @gratewhitehuntr

Looks like a giant Necos candy.

Probably tastes like it too. 😱 

ReplyQuote