Hard Air Magazine R...

Notifications

Hard Air Magazine Reviews My Slug Endeavors  

RSS

Tom Holland
( @xbowairsniper1200 )
2020-01-07 20:09:54  

A big thank you and shout out to Steven Archer of Hard Air Magazine for the write up on my slug exploits.  I'll be sending the HAM editors several different types and weight slugs for them to run ballistic and accuracy tests in upcoming issues.

Hope you all enjoy. 

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/177-cal-slugs-can-work-too-says-tom-holland/

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Tom Holland
( @xbowairsniper1200 )
2020-01-07 20:13:03  

Warriors, 

The above article is cut short, click on the bold headline,  and it will take you directly to the Hard Air Magazine site and article. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

ReplyQuote
Droidiphile
( @droidiphile )
2020-01-10 10:14:56  

First of all - the article on your slugs is not obvious by following the provided link.  Maybe I'm just blind ... I did see a bunch of articles but not on your slugs.

Maybe you have already posted more detail about your slug making operation, but I'd be interested in knowing more.  I mean, the forms/molds can get really expensive, but you seem to be have many.  Do you make your own via a home-CNC?  And where do you get the metals?  I would think the big boys have their own proprietary alloys - do you have a special alloy made for you, and not to be flippant, but do you melt down old car batteries? 😀  What is your capacity?  Can you crank out a pallet of tins or do you make runs of 200 pieces at a time?  Yeah, more detail of your operations would certainly be of interest to me, and hopefully, other members of this forum too. 

For example, there is a number of us who have been seeking a lead free .22 wadcutter for a long time.  I actually spoke with the owner of Predator and he said for him and the other "Big Boys" it is not cost effective to make them - but maybe a small operation like yours could service that or a similar specialty need.

ReplyQuote
Tom Holland
( @xbowairsniper1200 )
2020-01-10 15:58:49  

Droidiphile,

First, to bring you to my article, click on the link under "hope you enjoy", it is in green, and should take you right to my article.   I just tried it, and it is operating correctly.  Once you go on to my article,  that can be linked to my website as well.

As for my equipment,  all of my dies and press is purchased from Corbins in Oregon.   He makes all equipment and he is my source of lead for this endeavor.   At the moment,  I am only doing .177 at my capacity. 

As for any other caliber, most likely not.  At the moment the market is flooded with all kinds .22 and up slugs, I only specialize in .177.  There are not a lot of manufacturers creating .177 slugs in general,  maybe one or two.  My niche is, that I can make custom slugs in .177 to whatever the shooter wants.  When you look at my website, I have 3 standard designs that I offer.   Those 3 styles, I have many thousands stockpiled for those who wish to try them.  I also offer custom designed pellets, of any design I have listed on my site, as well as any weight that anyone shooting a .177 could want.

As for volume,  no, pallets of these for me would not be possible.   I can keep up with individuals that want up to a couple thousand at a time, and custom work for special orders only take a couple of days to get out.  I can only do a slug design,  I cannot make a diabolo style pellet of any kind, it would require more steps, thus more labor, and the cost to develop those dies would be astronomical.   Well into the many thousands. 

I hope this answers your questions,  

Please check out my U Tube Channel,  Field Target Tech, 

My website,  Fieldtargettech.com 

Thanks for your interest, 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech

ReplyQuote
Tom Holland
( @xbowairsniper1200 )
2020-01-12 03:35:03  

Warriors,

In addition,  my slugs will be available on January 27th.  Custom made slugs will take longer. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

ReplyQuote