Harbor Freight Scis...

Notifications
Clear all

Harbor Freight Scissor Jack Shooting Bench and Rest

airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

I saw a photo of a shooting bench rest made from a scissor jack awhile ago... thought it was a great idea, so I decided to make my own using one from Harbor Freight... I liked the idea of being able to adjust the height on it easily.

I recently bought a Harbor Freight Clamping Bench (about $20) to keep up in my other garage, for quick sawing projects, etc... I do have a nice B&D Workmate that I keep in my basement workshop, but don't like having to lug it out and carry it outside to my detached garage, which is about 150 feet or more from my house... it's pretty lightweight, and the metal is not very thick, but I figured it would come in handy.

I was outside doing some some plinking with my FWB124, and thought I would try the HF Clamping Bench as a shooting bench since it was handy... worked out pretty good... I later made a top that I could clamp in the bench to give me a little more bench room... I had a 29" diameter piece of particle board that came from a punching speed bag... I had removed it when I got a better metal setup that I had when I was a kid.

Got a can of aerosol Flex Seal to coat the top with to make it less slippery... I also used the Flex seal on the scrap board that I mounted the HF scissor jack to.

While at HF, I bought a 5"-6" Fleece Polishing Bonnet to use for the cushioned rifle rest... I used a piece of pipe foam insulation under it that I glued to the scissor Jack metal frame bracket.

The scissor jack has some wobble to it, so I use some wood tongue depressors between the base and the scissor frames to eliminate any wobbling.

Weather here has been cold and wet, so it was a good time to work on something... hope I can try it out next week when it warms up a bit.

Here's some photos..

Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 1
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 1a
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 1b
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 2
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 3
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 4
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 5
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Clamping Bench 2
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Scissor Jack 6
Shooting Bench Harbor Freight Clamping Bench 3

bf1956 thanked
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Nice setup, Ken. Been a while since I've seen a scissor jack shooting rest. And it looks like you've dressed yours up good, too! I like that plush looking fleece pad. Looks nice & comfy for the forward hand to rest on, lol.

I used to use a B&D Workmate as a shooting table. They do make a handy little shooting table. I had bag rest that was filled with cat litter that I used on it.

bf1956 and airmojo thanked
ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo The B&D Workmate that I have is pretty handy... after getting the HF clamping bench, I realized how well built the Workmate was... so I found one on Craig's List for $20... a nice vintage one from 1977 according to the stamping on the underside of the top... so I have that one in my garage too... it would make a nice shooting bench.

I actually have a shooting bench stored in my garage... my wife bought it from Sportsman's Guide for Christmas one year... but it's pretty heavy and was still behind my patio furniture that I haven't take out yet due to the weather.

I like the portability and quick setup of this HF bench.

Here is my shooting bench...

Ken & Whiscombe JW50FB 1

And my new vintage Workmate with an old Hollands H3 vice that I picked up a few years ago... I can clamp it in various benches.

Hollands H3 Vice for Workmate 2

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Your vintage Workmate is very similar to the one I used but it was a newer model with the step like that, maybe late 80's or early 90's, and most likely not as well built or stable as yours.

Nice looking shooting table. Is that a Whiscombe you're shooting? Sweet!

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo Yes, a JW50FB in .177... got it used many years ago... it is a fun and unique shooter for sure !

Whiscombe JW50FB 2

Jim in SWMO thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@airmojo

Now that's some nice looking airgun eye candy! Looks like it has the HOTS system on it. Have you played around with that very much or just kind of "set it and forget it"? I would imagine it could eat up a lot of hours tinkering with something like that.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo Yes, it has a HOTS... from what I understand of it's history, originally it did not, then the owner (maybe the 2nd owner) sent it back to John Whiscombe and had it "refurbished", and John added the HOTS... someone else bought it, and I bought it from him.

I really have not fooled with it much... I pretty much just shot Crosman Premier Lights (7.9gr) through it, when the CPL's were much better than today... you can spend a lot of time fiddling with the HOTS, especially trying other pellets... I hope to spend more time with it now that I am retired...  but I want to  spend time with my other air rifles too... and my wife too !

bf1956 and Jim in SWMO thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@airmojo

Cool. But there's that age old dilemma again. Too many play things and not enough time, lol. But if it were me, I could make that list a bit shorter, being single, lol. And if I had a Whiscombe I'd be afraid to shoot it for fear of something happening to it.  😱 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)

You may have seen my scissor jack rig that I orignally set up 12 years ago for bench rest in Temecula at LD's.

50 YD benchrest 004
AS392  .22 cal 001

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@crazyhorse That could very well be the one I saw ! Looking forward to trying mine out when the weather gets better !

Is this yours ?

I saved a photo of it...

Scissor Jack Shooting Rest

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo For sure... I know I have too many toys... and so does my wife... but I sure do love spring-piston air rifles... among other hobby things !

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)

Posted by: @airmojo

@crazyhorse That could very well be the one I saw ! Looking forward to trying mine out when the weather gets better !

Is this yours ?

I saved a photo of it...

Scissor Jack Shooting Rest

Yes that one is mine. I actually bought it at Harbor freight for $15...

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@crazyhorse The HF price is now about $24... they don't have the 20% off discounts like they use to... I hope they bring the coupons back !

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

I have two scissors jack rests. One in my basement range, and one out in the garage for outside shooting.

Here's a hint: If you go to an auto wrecking/recycling yard, you can buy a jack for about $5. Most of them have never been used!

airmojo and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@doug-wall Good idea... I might make one for my basement shooting too... I'll check out the recycling place when I bring in my annual bags of aluminum beer cans... might get enough cash to buy two jacks.... I could actually use an old bumper-style jack too !

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

I tested out my new shooting bench rest today... I like it a lot... got a nice thick cushion for my lawn chair too, since I was sitting too low.

I set out my bell target and homemade tray that holds plastic bottle caps at about 26 feet, angled so the sun wasn't hitting me in the face.

Along comes a visitor looking for a peanut... not a very smart thing to do !

Airgunning Black Squirrel 2

Close up of the actual targets...

Airgun Bell & Plastic Caps Tray Targets

ReplyQuote
bee218
(@bee218)

Not me, but I did something along these lines to service my FWB124.  Worked like a charm.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
Topic starter  

@bee218 Those jacks are very handy... there's a good video on YouTube where a guy modifies one to glue and clamp wood boards together for a woodworking project.

ReplyQuote