Gamo TC35 .35 WTF?

Notifications

Gamo TC35 .35 WTF?  

RSS

pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-07 19:11:49  

I have no real need for a .35 caliber airgun but I did kind of want to try one out. A seller in my local classifieds had one with less than a tin of pellets through it. Here was my chance to check one out. I did ask him how it shot and he said "Noisy with some flyers" Hmmm. From what I understand it's just a rebranded Evanix.  Two power levels and about 10 full power shots. Up to 40 low power. 

I like the short size. Just reminded me of one of my AirForce guns.

Gamo e

First time at the trigger I thought it was on safe. I pulled and pulled. Checked again and really pulled. POW! Over 6lb trigger pull. Checked and the trigger is said to be adjustable. Yeah, with a .89mm hex. I have a fair amount of tools but not one of those. So I had to wait for Grainger to open on Monday to see what they had. Got lucky, just have to buy a 10 pack to get one.

Tiny little sucker. I always wonder how they make stuff this small, especially the screws. I was able to get it to just over 2lb pull. Any less and the sear wouldn't catch.

Gamo b

I put a Hawke Airmax on it and took it to a local indoor range. I was afraid to shoot that much energy in my limited very residential back yard. Plus the sound level was shockingly loud. It does have about 8 inches of unbaffled shroud area. Originally I tried my plastic hair curlers with spacer washers in the shroud area. Very minimal change in sound. Back to the range.

I was in the 100 yard tunnel being optimistic at what I hoped the gun to do. Put the sighter target out about 15 yards, couldn't hit it. Brought in in closer, nope. Finally, at 5 yards I could see it was shooting way low. Ran out of elevation adjustment. So I used mildots to at least get an idea what it would do. At 25 yards I couldn't find where it was hitting again. What??? I was really getting frustrated with the gun. I gave up and thought "take it home, clean the barrel and put some Eagle Vision adjustable rings on it to get a MOA I could use. I happened to have the gun with me when I stopped at Utah Airguns to get the rings and more pellets. They have an indoor powder range in their basement that I thought would be better to use because of the noise level. So, clean barrel, scope adjusted to leave me elevation adjustment, auto target mover I was ready to try again. I did pull the Hawke scope off. If the gun can't shoot far I don't need  the optics that can. Put a UTG on it. Couple shots teased me enough to think "Okay".  Then just all over the place.

This was at 18 yards, JSB 81gr 10 shots.

Gamo a

Switched to H&N Grizzly 82 gr. Again, 10 shots. Only two hit the paper at 18 yards.

Gamo

I removed the shroud to see if it might be clipping? No evidence on the cap. No change.

I've sent an email to Gamo to see if they would consider sending me another barrel to try. So far their 24-48 hour response had netted me a "thank you for the inquiry" response. Sent them another one today.

In the mean time I'd already ordered a Donny FL Emperor and even the extra 6 inch unbaffled extension to try and tame the bark. Kiss the carbine goodbye. Went from 36 inches to 54 inches.

Gamo d
Gamo c

So, for now, it's wait and see what Gamo will help with.

Topic Tags
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-07 19:57:02  

Wow...  I had good luck with mine and had sent it to Nate to play with and such and he couldnt hit shat with it, but nothing..and I mean NOTHING as bad as you're posting.  Are you sure you know how to shoot an airgun? 😉 hahahhahaa..  Really, I'm not sure what to tell you. 

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-07 21:32:09  
Posted by: @rob-in-nc

Wow...  I had good luck with mine and had sent it to Nate to play with and such and he couldnt hit shat with it, but nothing..and I mean NOTHING as bad as you're posting.  Are you sure you know how to shoot an airgun? 😉 hahahhahaa..  Really, I'm not sure what to tell you. 

Yes, I watched Nate's video. I was waiting for his follow up that promised 50-100 yard target shooting. 

I also watched this one. FF to minute 4:20. I could live with that grouping. I just can't imagine what is going on with mine.

In another video Rick called it "Very quiet". Uh no. With the Donny stuff on it's fine.

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-07 21:37:08  

That's the vid that tipped me into buying one.  And no... it's not even quiet, let alone 'very' quiet.  Nate was going to do longer range, but think he moved on to other toys..haha.  I've gotten really good groups out of it. I think his problem was hold. This gun needs to be held more like an AF gun.  Your issue is way to effed to be hold though. There is something amiss with that gun for sure.

I did see in some vids by another reviewer that they were simply setting the pellets in the breech and not seating them inside the breech. Mistake... and it was by someone who should know better so may have been just 'action shots' taken. 

Hope you get it figured out.... fun little gun for sure.  Would like a bit more ooompf out of it, though.

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-07 22:39:14  

I wonder if this would fit???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evanix-Rex-35-Caliber-Barrel-New-Takeoff/123906919476?hash=item1cd96d8c34:g:hLUAAOSwePpeD8ZF

Sure looks similar. I'm just concerned with the breech end fitting. Says it's 19 inches long. I don't mind that.

The stock one is 15 inches.

Barrel

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
( @gratewhitehuntr )
2020-01-07 22:42:26  

Buy another one, put this one in the box, return, post a snarky review (but great customer service!)

Otherwise...

Horizontal string? I can see stringing to the right from a nasty trigger, not so much to the left.

Did you shake it and see what's loose? Flaccid barrel? Chainsaw file vs muzzle? Abnormalities (damage) in rifling?

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-07 22:44:29  

I couldnt tell you to be sure, but nice find though...I always forget to check Ebay for odd items such as that.

Supposedly they are the same gun, but that's just what I've read. Got no first hand knowledge.  I'd venture a guess that getting that would be quicker than getting anything from Gamo.

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-07 22:58:15  

@gratewhitehuntr

Private party purchase. Wife lost her job, daughter getting married I'm not about to go back to him. Enough on that poor guys plate.

Visually the rifling looks good. Everything seems tight. Trigger is not bad once I adjusted the pull down.

I'm going order the ebay barrel. Does make me wonder why it was removed new. If Gamo comes through I'll have a short and longer barrel.

I'm in the gun deep enough now another $100ish is more for my curiosity.

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-07 23:24:12  

New question. I'd taken the barrel off to try and get a good look down it. While putting it back together it started to hiss out of the top hat. The barrel threads into a large bushing that screws into the gun body. I'd tightened the bushing first and was screwing the barrel in to that. It tightened up against the top hat enough to push it in and release air.

Does anyone know if it's suppose to be a zero gap between the top hat and the barrel end or have a gap? Rob, could you please look at yours and see what kind of gap you have?

barrel a

Or,

barrel b

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-07 23:33:30  

I cant right yet...  still en route back to me from Nate... sorry.   Tried to do variants of "gamo TC 35" breech/loading/pellets/etc to find a pic on Google to no avail.

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-07 23:35:01  

This pic of an open Rex does look to have a gap...

https://www.airgundepot.com/evanix-rex-air-rifle.html

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-07 23:42:49  

This pic of an open Rex does look to have a gap...

https://www.airgundepot.com/evanix-rex-air-rifle.html

Thank you. When all else fails I guess I could have looked in the manual. Duh. Normally they are seldom worth the paper they are printed for information. This had what I needed to know.

Barrel c

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-07 23:44:15  

Dont tell your wife you read the directions.  You'll never live it down!!!

Glad you got the info you needed.  When I get mine back, perhaps we can compare more notes if you are still having issues.

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
( @gratewhitehuntr )
2020-01-08 07:57:45  

If the previous owner fudged something up, then I would take the loss myself. Factory clunkers? Yeah... no.

I meant returning it to a retailer, bigger the better (wlmt,amz) Just think of it as a sort of (it's still in production) extended warranty. Fairly certain this is one of the reasons manufacturers change models frequently, keeps people from swapping.

No QC at the factory?

No qualms making them eat it... but that's just me... payback is a bitch... her stripper name would be Karma...

Meanwhile 0.019-0.039 inches is quite a range. Do you have some feeler gauges? What happens when the gap is adjusted to either extreme?

Honestly, I've barely touched PCPs, doubtful I'm gonna be helpful after reading only 1 page of the manual LOL.

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-08 21:06:30  

After dicking with it last night I went to the range again. Baby steps, baby steps but it was shooting better.

Still not overly impressive but much better than the last time out.

30 yard had one flyer. The next five spread a bit but still acceptable.

Gamo b

50 yard opened up, still way better than it was before.

Gamo a

I wanted to see how much the POI would change with the Donny FL moderator. Grouped well. I was aiming at the bulls eye. Same as the first targets. That's quite a change in POI. 

Gamo

I shot the H&N's again and they did better. Tried some Air Venturi 127gr. Wasting lead. I'll see how they do with the longer barrel when it comes in. I also tried 100 yards. I only had three JSB pellets left and they didn't hit the paper. I do feel better that if I had to hit something 25-40 yards I'd be fairly confident. 

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-08 22:07:14  

That's looking better and and close to on par with what I got out of mine.

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-08 22:24:25  

That's looking better and and close to on par with what I got out of mine.

Does make it look like there is hope. Then I looked at some other guns groups and wonder why I'm wasting my time with this gun?

50 yard
50 yd a
50 yd b
50 yd d

ReplyQuote
Rob in NC
( @rob-in-nc )
2020-01-08 22:28:28  

That is true.  I got that gun on a whim hoping for high shot count.  I've got a Career 707, Bulldog, and a converted M10 that fit that .35 nich and all of them outshine this one in accuracy.  I think if I were to do it over, I would have put that money into something else.  I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.  I see it as a short range mid sized game gun.  That's about it from a practical standpoint.

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-08 23:14:29  

Yup, jack rabbits are about as big as I shoot. This thing would be way over kill for the ground squirrels that are on my spring shooting list. Any of my other gun options would cover those needs. Just an impulse purchase. Kind of pricey to shoot too. I will be interested to see what the longer barrel does for it, if anything.

Will update this thread later with Gamo 2.0. 😉 😀 

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
( @gratewhitehuntr )
2020-01-10 08:05:16  
Posted by: @pluric

Then I looked at some other guns groups and wonder why I'm wasting my time with this gun?

I wonder this every time someone posts raving about the new-new-new model of whatever, same but different, new AND improved!

If it were me, maybe resell this without further tuning, pointing out that you've only started to unleash the accuracy potential 😉

.35 is kinda impressive though, and it will be interesting to see what the (comes with an extra barrel!) longer barrel does.

Inquiring minds would like to see both barrels shot over the chrony!

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-13 20:59:36  

I did get the 19 inch Evanix barrel today. It does fit the Gamo. Too loud to consider shooting in the yard.

It has a full, useless, shroud. The barrel bushing is an inch and a half from the shroud end.

Gamo d
Gamo c

Without vent holes drilled in the bushing it can't use the lower shroud area for anything. 

The other thing was looking down the barrel it had the exact same looking debris stuff as my original barrel. Cleaned it and it appears to be gone now.

I was out of JSB .35 pellets so no testing yet. I'll contact DonnyFL and see if they have an adapter that will fit the Emperor for this. 

To be continued.......

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-14 12:24:48  

Here is the response I recieved from Gamo:

"Thank you for reaching out to GAMO.  I do apologize for that issue you are having.  I do apologize as I cannot send out a barrel, but what I can do is send you a pre-paid label and RMA number to send that into us to be repaired under the warranty.  I will just need a name, address, and phone number to do so.  

Thank you,

Consumer Service Representative
Daisy/GAMO/BSA/First Nature
479-636-1200"

I actually think this was a reasonable offer from them. I am not the original owner and they could have told me to pound sand. For now, I'm going to try the new longer barrel and play with it a little more.

ReplyQuote
Airgun-Channel
( @air-gun-channel )
2020-01-19 17:19:36  

Sorry guys...haven't been on the computer for a while. 

So it wasn't just me? The GAMO does shoot bad. 

UPDATE: I tried shooting the TC35 with different holds...but had the same result of bad accuracy. I figured another video to show the same groups wouldn't make me or the gun look good...so I filmed it, but decided not to make it into a video. I also decided not to explore the low power setting because, really, who cares if you can't hit anything?

Maybe Evanix didn't want to make it anymore so they sold it to GAMO. 

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-28 22:40:57  

Well it took me a while before I could try out the 19" barrel.  Vacation, sick, no pellets.... blah, blah, blah. I made it to the dealer to get some pellets and picked up another FX mini chrony. I'd won one at a raffle. My son jumped up and claimed it for himself. 🤨 I didn't mind until I needed to use one at the low light indoor range. The new ones come with a mount to hold it to the barrel.

gamo j

The problem was I didn't know how to use it and by the time I got the phone app and got to finally record I'd wasted a good part of my 100 yard indoor range time. So I wasn't able to try other pellets. 🙄 

Gamo h

Shooting 81 gr JSB.

Gamo i

I never did chrony it with the 15 inch barrel.

Nothing amazing but at least I feel I have a chance of hitting something under 50 yards.

Gamo g
Gamo f

I used the same POA at all distances. 75 yards dropped and spread quite a bit.

Gamo e

I'm just waiting for an adapter to put a moderator on it and will then try a few other pellets.  

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-02-04 22:23:11  

Still don't have the moderator yet but wanted to try a few different pellets. Tightened everything I could. Still don't know why the trigger pull increases with use? Tried to adjust it at the range and it wouldn't engage the sear so I left it. Started to take it apart the other night and decided the design was not worth messing with. Sloppy pivot pin with no way to support it better.

Here are the pellets I tried.

TC test a

All shots were aimed at the bulls-eye. No adjustment for yardage.

The Hatsan Vortex 81gr had the best group of the night.

TC test e
TC Test f

On to JSB 81gr.

TC test g
TC test h

H&N Grizzly

TC test

Air Venturi 127 gr.

TC test d
TC test c

Did a 75 yard too.

TC test i

It's coming. Big difference from my initial testing with the 15" barrel. To the point where I feel I could pest with it out to 50 yards. I was surprised to see the 127gr slugs didn't drop as much as I would have thought. Those would put the thud on something.

ReplyQuote