Notifications
Clear all

First air rifles

Page 1 / 2

(@alderman)
Topic starter  

8E4FF959 42F8 4731 9FF5 FD7BEAE86C63

I’m a new member looking to get a PCP rifle soon. 
In my first post I said it would be my first air gun but I discounted the ones I had as a kid. 
My first was a Daisy lever action when I was six. With the local gang we roamed the small village keeping law and order. 

When I was 8 I got my dream gun. It is a Crosman M1 Carbine. I still have that one and shoot it on occasion. It served me well until we got into 22 rimfires. 

Would like to hear of the guns people had when they were kids. 

Topic Tags
Jraugie
(@jraugie)

My dad wouldn’t let me have a BB gun when I asked as a kid. He said guns were not toys. He gave me a old .22LR Winchester single shot rifle instead. Smart guy. Thanks Dad! I ended up buying my first air rifle about 6 years ago. Now I am hooked.

ReplyQuote
(@jiminpgh)

Never had an air rifle as a kid.  I grew up on .22 rimfires, and used to hunt pheasant, ducks and geese with a Winchester Model 12 20GA all thru high school.  In college and after, I kinda drifted away from shooting sports.  My first air gun was a Sheridan HB, some 35 years ago.  I discovered that I could shoot in my apartment.  My first long gun was an HW77 .177 that I bought off the used gun rack at the Santa Rosa Beeman showroom.  Wish I still had that gun!  Since then, I've bought, sold and traded over 120 different air guns, and the current inventory sits around 40.  I was planning a major purge at the Findlay show last spring, but Covid got in the way.  As Jerry and the boys have said, what a long strange trip it's been.

ReplyQuote
(@hkshooter)

Daisy 880 soon followed by a Crosman 1377.

ReplyQuote
(@mikescouter)

My first air rifle was a Daisy Red Ryder. Eventually I upgraded to a Crosman 1400. Wow, was that Crosman accurate. When my sons were old enough, they learned to shoot on that same Crosman 1400. My first adult air rifle was a Beeman R9 .20 that I purchased 20 years ago. We have a 50 yard range and I would shoot with my sons and their friend off of my deck. I look back and remember half a dozen middle school aged kids walking around the neighborhood with scoped rifles. I don’t think that would fly today. I now look forward to giving my grandkids their first BB gun. I have several Daisy Red Ryders stashed away. Maybe this spring I’ll get to hand the first one out.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 rman
(@rman)

I got a Daisy Red Ryder when I was about 9. I bought my next one when I was in my 20's. It was a Crosman 760. That was 50 years ago. I still have it and it still shoots. It has a wood stock & fore end.

ReplyQuote
(@thirdshift)

Daisy Defender. And i wish it was still in my collection.

ReplyQuote
MDriskill
(@mdriskill)

Well, talk about deja vu, my first air rile was a wood-stock Crosman M1! Which, like an idiot, I did NOT hang on to. Shot really hard as I recall, especially if you juiced it with enough of Mom's sewing machine oil, LOL.

A couple years later Santa brought an early "tootsie roll" Benjamin 347. I do still have that, and it still shoots like a champ...with only one rebuild in lo these 50+ years.

A friend of mine had a BSF S20 pistol when I was a teenager - the first classic European springer I ever used - which prompted me to get a Slavia ZVP pistol. That one got stolen but I've recently resurrected that phase of my life with an S20 (an altogether more impressive gun).

982689A9 3832 4F65 BDD2 465C7C984E4C

ReplyQuote
(@lefteyeshot)

Some cheap Daisys when I was a kid. When about 12-13(1964-65) with grass cutting money a Daisy 1894. No idea what happened to it. Last one till 2011.

2011 I bought a Beeman RS2 dual cal at Walmart to learn to shoot left hand after my right eye messed up. Now nine years and about 80 air rifles later I guess I'm hooked.

ReplyQuote
daveshoot
(@daveshoot)

@jiminpgh Me too, Model 12 20 gauge, 28" barrel, full choke, all through high school. Once you learned to hit with that, getting my first 12 ga. was like cheating. Still have and love that ol' 20, my dad's from 1937.

Oh yeah, air guns... started with dad's Model 25, got the model 94 for Christmas one year, then acquired the neighborhood Dan C Sheridan. Good beginnings!

ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)

At 12 my dad gave me a Stevens bolt action tube mag rimfire...still have it today. Did not get any air guns until I was 70.

ReplyQuote
Bill Day
(@bill-day)

Crazyhorse, I learned to shoot with the same rifle. Sweet little rimfire!

ReplyQuote
(@boscoebrea)

not counting BB rifles...Beeman R-7 bought at the San Rafael store in 1981.I do not know many I have...know a lot of good well known ones.

Before air guns a Remington model 121 at 13 years old,still have it.

ReplyQuote
(@markinswmo)

For me it was either a Daisy Model 99 or a Daisy 1894 Spitting Image, I can't recall which came first.  I became involved in the old Daisy Airgun Shooting program back in the early 70's, competing for several years.  Due to that I had a 99 that had been tricked out with all the bells and whistles.  But I saved my allowance, lawnmowing money, etc. to buy the 1894.  Both were great guns with each serving different purposes.

Unfortunately both were stolen 15 or 20 years ago

ReplyQuote
 Napi
(@napi)

My first air rifle was the  Daisy model 99. My dad bought it for me,  I'll say around 1965. I eventually past it on to my nephew once I got into  powder burners in my twenties.  In the mid Eighties I  purchased my first adult air rifle, a Diana model 26 which as I  recently learned was a pretty rare model in the US at that time. 

ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)

@bill-day

Shoots good...recently took it to a gunsmith and had it re-crowned....use it in personal target  contests with my air rifles..lol.

ReplyQuote
Steve Corcoran
(@steve-corcoran)
Member of Trade

Blue Streak---accurate as all get out and fun to shoot!

ReplyQuote
Jason Lowe
(@jasmlowe)

Crosman 2100. I begged my Grandmother to buy it for me for Christmas. It was almost $100 back in the early 80's. Sure enough she did and pellets and bb's to go with it. One of the best Christmas presents for a 10 year old ever. First adult pellet gun was a Beeman R-1 20cal carbine that I should have never sold, but I was in college and broke most of the time. lol

ReplyQuote
(@rustynut)

Daisy 200

Christmas in the late 60s or early 70s Daisy 200. It worked good up into the 80s. Then it leaked CO2 fast enough to turn the bottle frosty and went full auto but didn't shoot BBs. So it sat in the drawer until last month when I found a site online on how to fix it. I set up a 21' range in the basement this winter and it's been working great. 

ReplyQuote
(@ejwills)

What site did you use to fix it ?

Ejwills.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

My first air rifle... spring-piston of course... was a Beeman FX-2, purchased locally at a firearms store that was also a 5-star Beeman Dealer.

This was in 1989, and I wanted an air rifle to shoot squirrels off of my bird feeder, and was new to the area after getting married and moving away from my home town.

I loved this firearm store that was part of really great hardware store, so I could easily stop by and browse while shopping there.

I didn't have much money back then, and was clueless about airguns... I could afford the FX-2, plus pellets... and brought home my first Beeman Precision Airgun Guide that I loved looking at all the cool airguns and other stuff.

I still have the FX-2... during the next few years, I saved up for a Tempest... then a P1... then a Webley Eclipse.

I also bought firearms from the same shop... starting with a Ruger MK2 pistol and a Ruger 10/22.

Here's my FX-2.

Beeman FX 2 Norica Spain 4

ReplyQuote
(@oerlikon)

For all practical purposes, my mother was a single parent It was probably very wise of her to  not allow any type of gun when I was a kid. Looking back at myself, I may have done something stupid. I caught the shooting bug in my mid 30s, circa 1994. The first air rifle was a marksman biathalon trainer. The first air pistol was a CP88. The first serious airguns were a Beeman Bearcub, and a BSA Supersport Magnum. I liked the Beeman, but loved the BSA. Sadly I lost them both with many others in a burglary, and have been rebuilding the collection ever since. I'll never be done.

If I were to recommend a first time airgun to a newby today, a Diana 34 would be perfect entry level gun that could serve a a family heirloom. For a little more money, the easy cocking R7 would do nicely for the young or adults with limited upper body strength. Right now if I could have only on air rifle it would be my Sig ASP20 in. 22. A new shooter would never never another airgun. It is that good

ReplyQuote
(@spindel)

@airmojo  I have a FX-2 that I bought around 1980. It hadn't used it in many years, but just last week I replaced the original leather piston seal with a new silicone seal and it seems to work beautifully...except...it still has the very hard trigger that I remember (and dislike). The adjustment screw doesn't really change the required pressure. Have you or anyone you know of figured out how to reduce the force needed to pull the trigger? Many thanks!

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

@spindel I thought my FX-2 had a leather piston seal, but then found out it had a synthetic seal when I dismantled and re-lubed it a few years ago, so mine is probably newer than yours.

The trigger is pretty basic... definitely not a Rekord trigger... don't think I've messed with it since I bought it... I just tried a few adjustments to see how it would differ... I have it set so there is just a little 1st stage before the final squeeze on the 2nd stage when it fires... that's about a 1/2 or 3/4 turn counterclockwise from where the screw would be all the way in without forcing it too much... there is a difference going in or out from that position.

Only real issue I have with it is that pellets fit pretty loose in the barrel breech, so it is easy for them to fall out when you close the barrel, if you aren't careful... a pellet sizing tool to widen the skirt helps.

ReplyQuote
(@spindel)

Thanks for the response. I'll try your trigger setting. In the meantime...now that I'm back in the air rifle business...I've been thinking about a Beeman R7 or its equivalent,  an HW30S. They seem to be hard to find though.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

@spindel Just saw a Tom Gaylord report on Pyramyd Air for the HW30s... but not sure if they have them in stock ?

Looks like there are 4 or 5 parts... I hate how you can't see links to the subsequent parts from the earlier parts, so here is a link to the last part that has the previous part links.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/05/hw-30s-lube-tune-part-5

ReplyQuote
(@spindel)

Ignore the "qq". My error. Thanks for the reply and info. I've decided I don't need a Beeman R1 or an HW30S. I wanted a more accurate rifle than the Beeman FX-2, but after replacing the piston seal and using RWS R10 Match pellets, I'm amazed at how accurate the FX-2 is. I can easily shoot a 0.5 to 0.75 inch group at 30 yards. The only remaining problem is that the bolts holding the barrel/piston to the stock tend to loosen after a few dozen shoots and this compromises the accuracy. I'm reluctant to use loctite for fear of being unable to loosen the bolts for the next overhaul. Any advice?

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@spindel

I've used about half a drop of Blue 242 Loctite on stocks screws with no issues in removing the screws later. But some folks like to use Vibra-Tite VC-3 instead. I have some non-airgun bits that have Vibra Tite on some screws and it seems to hold pretty well without the gummy mess that Loctite can have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088YEGXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@airmojo

Pyramyd quit carrying the HW30S. Can't remember when but it's been quite a while since they've had them.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)

@jim-in-swmo Makes me wonder why Tom Gaylord is reviewing it on Pyramyd Air when they don't sell it...

Airguns of Arizona has them listed, but out of stock.

I'm not really looking for one, just curious.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2