Finding the gun tha...

Notifications
Clear all

Finding the gun that fits.  

RSS

yukonsmith
(@yukonsmith)
February 8, 2020 11:16:59  

Age induced arthritic joints have made me rethink the gun that fits.   No longer can I walk through the fields with a Bobcat, Cricket, or most any of the bullpups.  Too heavy on my shoulder joints. The Streamline was light enough but length posed a problem too often.  Had a mini cricket but those guns are so good but hurt my shoulders after a days hunt.  I had a little Brocock skeleton stock six shot that was perfect size and weight but could not single load and the mag rotation function was always breaking. 

Lets hear some suggestions.  Single shot is fine, bolt action is ok, much prefer a carbine style as opposed to a bullpup.   Ed gun Leshy comes to mind but there must be some others out there.   

scratchit thanked
Topic Tags
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)
February 8, 2020 11:40:25  

First gun to come to my mind is a Benjamin Maximus.  I think they weigh less than 6 lbs. and can be pretty accurate.  I put a Marauder trigger on one and it turned out to be a nice little rifle.

Bob in WV

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
yukonsmith
(@yukonsmith)
February 8, 2020 12:43:11  

Thanks Bob I'll look into that. 😀 

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
pluric
(@pluric)
February 8, 2020 13:04:40  

Compatto, Airforce Talon, Hatsan Flash series (little long) Prod with a hollow stock.... I have a Leishy, love it. But if a mini Cricket hurt your shoulder the Leishy is way more compact than that. Bullpup, yet a great shooter is the Uragan Compact. The FX Dreamline series has several non full length models now.

If you need photos or size comparison let me know. 

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Faucetguy
(@faucetguy)
February 8, 2020 14:54:33  

What about a crosman 1720 or Prod?  They have some nice carbine options.  Plus lots of upgrades.  

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
February 8, 2020 19:33:09  

Have you thought about the Diana Chasers?  Handiest little gun I've ever owned.  I don't hunt anymore, but if I did, this would be my choice.  Weighs next to nothing, and shoulders very naturally.  I guess there are PCP versions, but I like the convenience of CO2.  Also comes with a rotary magazine.

Chaser

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Kevin Lentz
(@klentz)
February 9, 2020 10:29:13  

Have the same shoulder problems.  My solution is the FX Ranchero in carbine configuration.  Short, lightweight, 8 shot magazine, adjustable power, good trigger, VERY accurate and decent shot count for a little pcp

ranchero and g & r scope001

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)
February 9, 2020 10:58:52  

Aren't expensive guns...aren't "pretty"...but I don't mind them getting beaten up/scratched (do minda "pretty" PCP getting that unavoidable damage).

Forget the buck-naked weight....you're going to add a scope...so shown is the all-up-ready-to-go weight.

Not show-off PCPs....but decently light and usable for woods-wandering/ hunting.

Do like CO2....but not so much for hunting.  Hunting takes place in the cool months, and co2 isn't all that great in the cold.  The PCP version (whatever they call it) of the Chaser would fit well in the light weight category....but I think I got that covered.

Can go lighter....different platforms...but under 6 pounds all-up and ready to go seems to be the "break point".

Zapping back yard squirrels is not hunting....it's either ambushing or pesting….setting up for them to come to you is not the same thing as going to them.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
yukonsmith
(@yukonsmith)
February 9, 2020 11:10:40  

Kevin, really like that ranchero.    It had completely slipped my mind.   Looks like it fills the bill.   Thanks  

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
yukonsmith
(@yukonsmith)
February 9, 2020 13:48:30  

Ribbonstone,  I am with you on the weight.  Six pounds dressed or a little under is the magic number for my needs.   I have a tiny Airmax 2x7 and it is right size for the little walk round gun.  Add a little one point sling and a shooting stick and that is enough gear to carry around and  enjoy the trip.  I can't identify the long gun.  What is it?   Thanks for responding.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote