Ever "re-find" an a...

Ever "re-find" an airgun you have not shot in awhile?  

RSS

MagicNumber
(@jcarl)
2019-11-29 14:27:12  

By showing you this rifle you will know that I have been around for awhile. I have a few things for sale and thought I had sold this rifle. 

RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 1

RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 2

Back in the days when it was all the rage to take RWS 850 rifles and either convert to bulk CO2 or to HPA I got a hold of this .177. 

It was factory fresh and for a few years I ran the bulk CO2 tanks. Then when the PCP bug bit I converted it to run on nitrogen. Could have gotten away with a bigger bottle but I likes the balance with the smaller tank. In my experience it pays to get a decent regulator. IIRC I posted about making your own reg tester (which I still have) and used to get the output set just right. 

RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 7
RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 6
RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 5
RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 4

I got her out today and that Bushnell Trophy scope had a super bright image. I am a sucker for higher power scopes and had one lying around from the rifles I sold off last year. So I switched to the AEON 10-50X60. It has a funky fresh trajectory reticle. 

RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 11
RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 10
RWS 850 Nitro 29NO19 Pic 9

Happy Friday. This one is not for sale 🙂

~GOD BLESS~

john

~GOD BLESS~

John

JiminPGH thanked
Topic Tags
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-29 16:17:28  

I do understand the concept of "re-finding."  I've had a Crosman 1389 for probably 20 years.  (See posts below under More Nostalgia.)  I built the thing, shot it, loved it, then grew tired or just plain moved on.  Hell, I even tried to part it out on the classifieds and at the Findlay show a few years back.  Lucky for me, nobody bit.  About a couple of months ago, I realized that somewhere in the workshop, I had all the parts to make a 1389 rifle.  So I cobbled it all together again, and fell in love all over.  (So much so that I started spending money on the damn thing again!)  Funny how this hobby goes in cycles.  Like you, my 1389 will probably not be up for sale.

ReplyQuote
MagicNumber
(@jcarl)
2019-11-29 16:52:02  

@jiminpgh

That is a great story. Come full circle huh? Sounds like a keeper for certain. I enjoy the "fun" shooting sessions. I am all in for some groups, target practice and FT course work, however, just getting out and enjoying the simple fact of shooting has huge benefits for me. Keep on truckin'

~GOD BLESS~

john

~GOD BLESS~

John

JiminPGH thanked
ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2019-11-29 17:13:39  

Honestly, these days I do most of my shooting in the basement at 7.5 yds.  I live in a suburb that has strict projectile ordinances, and can only shoot in the backyard when the leaves are out, and even then, only with very quiet guns (I have a few!)  Once or twice a year we go up on the mountain to my shooting buddy's 75 yd range where I can let some of my rifles stretch their legs.  But day-to-day, I'm shooting high precision short-range stuff.  10M guns, and my continued attempts to make the cheap stuff compete with the aforementioned 10M guns.  It's an often futile but extremely challenging, and sometimes rewarding pursuit. 

Just keep shooting!

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
2019-11-29 19:16:56  

I have a few pumpers and a bunch of springer and two CO2 pistols. I will rotate them shooting all of them on a regular basis. I shoot in my pasture at a 40 yard range all year. I shoot my 125 .25 and my 130QE .30 most because I hunt with them also.

ReplyQuote
MagicNumber
(@jcarl)
2019-11-30 08:46:52  

I have many CO2 guns still... Kept them as they are fun when it warms up outside. 

I happen to live in a county in AL where you could shoot a cannon in your yard as long as you don't hit a neighbors house. I do not take that for granted..

Just keep on shooting is great advice!  I also like the comment of trying to make the cheaper guns shoot like the more expensive ones. I have been shooing a "tuned" Hatsan AT44-9 .25 that I got about a month back. (I know they are AT$$-10 but mine holds 9 rounds so AT44-9) and I am comparing it to the two RAWs I had as well as the Daystate Wolverine R... Just the thought would cause some people to cringe. But the rifle shoots great and cycles great......... 

We have sun for the most of the day - I wish the same to  you too

~GOD BLESS~

john

~GOD BLESS~

John

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)
2019-11-30 10:51:17  

Not quite "finding"...but often I dig though the safes and find one that's been neglected. Sometimes neglected for a long time (like a year of more).

And I think,"Well,I've not shot it in a year...seems like time to sell it/give it away/convert it to parts."

So I give it one more try for old-times-sake.

9 out of 10 times, I like it so much that thoughts of removal dissapear.May think on why I left it alone so long, and what I could do to make it more user-freindly so it doesn't get negelected.

But I do understand.....likely we both have more airguns that we really need....but weeding out what needs to dissapear is hard.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
2019-12-01 07:48:13  

What he said.

There you have it, the world according to John.

ReplyQuote
MagicNumber
(@jcarl)
2019-12-01 08:38:17  

Agreed! Blessed indeed to have what we have...

~GOD BLESS~

John

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
2019-12-03 18:15:44  

The past couple of years, I started bringing out airguns that I had not touched for quite some time... seems like a few years went by without hardly touching any of them due to family issues, remodeling projects, outdoor projects, etc.

I'm mainly a spring-piston airgunner, but do have a couple of old Sheradin Streaks, that I still need to take out. and shoot again.

A couple of my favorites to "re-find" were my HW77K .20 carbine... had to get another scope for it, as the original scope got transplanted to another air rifle at some point... so I purchased a couple of used Bushnell Trophy 4-12x scopes that I was already using on a couple other air rifles... I always liked these scopes.

Amazed at how well the HW77K shot... used it several weeks ago to get rid of some pest chipmunks that were burrowing in the flowerbed near the back of my house.

The other was  my Beeman Webley Eclipse .177... this was my 2nd air rifle that I purchased in the early 1990s... great air rifle... Just found some replacement seals for it, in case I ever need them... hope to just do a tear down and re-lube for now... when I get around to it !

Ken H in OH -- Life is One Hole After Another...

ReplyQuote

Please Login or Register