Dovetailed muzzle b...

Notifications
Clear all

Dovetailed muzzle brake  

RSS

JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-04 12:07:48  

Where can I find a 16 mm ID muzzle brake with 11 mm dovetails?

marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-04 15:32:30  

your more then likely not going to

either one is going to have the dovetail and the ID is going to be wrong or the other way around

so here is an idea buy one of these, it is dead nuts 15mm and the dovetail is to wide but they do have a globe sight for it and it take 17.2mm Anschutz inserts and you can turn down a Marauder pistol LDC to fit in the front with epoxy

so you have to ream the muzzle brake 1 mm or find a piece off a target rifle

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Muzzlebrake_with_Grooves/5875

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Front_Globe_Sight_Accepts_Inserts/3190

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silencer-Adapter-for-Benjamin-Marauder-Pistol-P-Rod-1-2-20-UNF/202340809142

of course it's just an idea

the globe sight is plastic and the front screw on is a dummy, just part of the casting

ReplyQuote
Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)
2020-02-04 15:38:31  

I'm not sure what you want is available off the shelf.  Having said that, you might start by browsing Brownell and Gunbloke sites.   There are many custom pieces to be found on eBay too.  

Assuming this is for an airgun, you may consider making your own from concentric carbon fiber tubes, machine as needed, and add a "barrel clip-on" 11mm dovetail.  

At a different level, it seems a mismatch to not only mount something on the muzzle break, but to weight the barrel end.  This could easily lead to an altered POI and maybe create bad harmonics that wipe out accuracy and consistency. 

Perhaps I don't understand what you want to do. 😀 I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I can answer.

ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
2020-02-04 15:54:54  
Posted by: @jiminpgh

Where can I find a 16 mm ID muzzle brake with 11 mm dovetails?

Hey Jim,

I've seen your posts for a long time on the forum. Since I've read a lot of those posts, and have seen your own replies to others, I know you're a pretty knowledgeable guy. So, I know you must have a really good reason for asking the question. 

Still, it leaves so much room to the imagination for the rest of us who don't know the details, that I think a lot of people are going to just take wild stabs at it, trying to guess what you might be doing.

So, if it's not so-top-secret that you can't tell us exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish, and on what size barrel and gun, it might really help us give you an answer in a big hurry. Maybe someone has even done the same thing before.

Now that statement has been made. So, if it is so secret that you just can't say what it is, I think we'll understand. The silence will make it obvious that you just can't say any more. Either way, I hope your project works out.

HTH.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-04 16:33:16  

@ekmeister

No secrets here Ed.  I have an IZH61 metal breach rifle that I want to add 10M sights to.  I purchased and just received a 19.5" carbon fiber tube which fits over the barrel perfectly, and adds 8.5" to the overall length.  It has a 16mm OD.  I also have a few of the Air Venturi front sights which fit an 11mm dovetail, as well as a few clear aperture front disks for them.  I also have a small selection of 10M match rear sights to play with.

The CF tube over the barrel extends the sight radius to almost 30", and my experience with IZH barrels is that they are ALL capable match-grade accuracy.  I just want to be able to mount a front sight on the end of the CF tube, and wring this little rifle out for all its worth.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
2020-02-04 17:43:17  

@jiminpgh,

I'm sorry to say that I don't have the answer for you. But, I bet that now, quite a few people will come forward with some things that will help you out. you provided some very good details.

ReplyQuote
functor
(@functor)
2020-02-04 18:49:30  

I had a sight base installed on a moderator by Mike at TKO. It was for a discovery rifle but the idea was the same. He attached an 11 mm dovetail base-- you can buy them off Brownell's/ Midway etc.-- on the end of the moderator and I could attach standard Lyman globe front sight. Had no effect on POI or clipping issues. The moderator I had was a screw on type so I could simply rotate until the sight was vertical. He doesn't list them but if you contact him, I am sure he will be able to make one for you. 

ReplyQuote
ekmeister
(@ekmeister)
Member of Trade
2020-02-04 19:14:21  

@jiminpgh

It looks like you're already on the road to success. There are some very helpful people around here!

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-04 19:46:31  
Posted by: @ekmeister

@jiminpgh

It looks like you're already on the road to success. There are some very helpful people around here!

Yup, it did work.  Look what I found.  Should be able to JB Weld it right onto the CF tube, and slap my little front sight right on it.  A tad over six bucks shipped!

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/dovetail-scope-base-prod385.aspx

ekmeister thanked
ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-05 15:58:31  

I bought a bunch of those mounts in that length and the larger ones

so you are going to use the Air Venturi front globe sight on them

I have all those pieces, i'll have to try

it's a no go, the 2 piece clamp will mount on the base but then it is way too wide to mount back on the sight dovetail

it's about 1.5mm+ to clamp on the sight dovetail

sorry for the bad news

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-05 20:00:20  

https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-globe-sight-attaching-base/

so once upon a time the Kimber 82's had globe sights but they had a dovetail base that screw to the barrel and that base would take any target globe sight Diana, FWB, Walther or Anschutz

and that what you need to find maybe

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-05 20:28:36  
Posted by: @marflow

I bought a bunch of those mounts in that length and the larger ones

so you are going to use the Air Venturi front globe sight on them

I have all those pieces, i'll have to try

it's a no go, the 2 piece clamp will mount on the base but then it is way too wide to mount back on the sight dovetail

it's about 1.5mm+ to clamp on the sight dovetail

sorry for the bad news

If I understand you, you're saying the Brownells base is wider than the std 11mm dovetail?  Seems simple enough to do a little file work on the plastic Air Venturi clamp.  Am I missing something?

We'll see when the part gets here.

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-05 20:39:07  

but that base you bought is for the rear sight and is 12.3mm or about at it's width so that 11mm front globe sight will not work and that 1.5+- is what i stated 

i guess you can file off a .5mm+  off on both sides with some needle files 

i had the parts sitting hear and posted what i found 

i have been using these items on my Chasers 

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-23 16:20:55  

So, I bought the Brownell's dovetail scope base, (part #080 030 104,) and JB welded it to the cf tube I got from China.  I did have to file the front sight clamp a little bit to get it to work.  The rear sight is a Hungarian polymer job that I got years ago, seems a good fit for the rifle.  I have a better BKL riser on order.  The sight radius is a full 32" from front to rear aperture, with no noticeable added weight to the little Russian.

izh61cf01
izh61cf02
izh61cf03
izh61cf04
izh61cf05
izh61cf06

ReplyQuote
dcw
 dcw
(@dcw)
2020-02-23 17:33:01  

very interesting and innovative solution...

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-23 18:27:10  

does the front and rear sight work together 

i have always use a piece of string to see how the sights line up and use the barrel as a point of reference 

i was looking to see if they were parallel  and thinking that was a good starting point

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-23 20:54:59  
Posted by: @marflow

does the front and rear sight work together 

i have always use a piece of string to see how the sights line up and use the barrel as a point of reference 

i was looking to see if they were parallel  and thinking that was a good starting point

Yes, they work together, but I need a longer riser for the rear sight.  All I had on hand was a very short scope stop with a dovetail on top.  I have a BKL riser on order, but I'm a little concerned it might be too high.  The BKL is taller than the one I have on there now, but the rear sight is close to as high as it will go, so I'm hoping it will work out OK.

Years ago, the QB "target" guns came with an aluminum dovetail to dovetail riser that added about 5 mm to the rear sight height.  I wish I could find a couple of those risers.

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)
2020-02-25 02:45:38  

this place in the Uk have some interesting risers 

https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Anschutz-4mm-Sight-Blocks-6923-38.html

https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Sight_Blocks.html

i don't know if they ship to the states and not cheap but is anything in this hobby 

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-29 14:48:02  

So my BKL riser arrived.  The Hungarian polymer rear sight is near bottomed out, but not quite.  Works a treat in the basement.

izhcf07
izhcf08

ReplyQuote
Garmic
(@garmic)
2020-02-29 19:24:31  

What exactly is that? What do you have on the front?

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-02-29 20:46:54  
Posted by: @garmic

What exactly is that? What do you have on the front?

Scroll up a bit in this thread for pictures of the front sight.

ReplyQuote
Garmic
(@garmic)
2020-03-02 02:12:49  

@jiminpgh

Thanks, I dont know how I missed that. Ive never seen cf tube up close is it really that stiff?

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-03-02 17:01:09  
Posted by: @garmic

@jiminpgh

Thanks, I dont know how I missed that. Ive never seen cf tube up close is it really that stiff?

VERY stiff, and very light.

ReplyQuote