Notifications
Clear all

Dirty barrel  

RSS

djmack
(@djmack)
2018-07-03 12:33:38  

My daystate huntsman will stack them real tight for about 70 shots and then poi will all over the place. I clean the barrel and all is good. I use JSB Jumbo 15.89 is this normal ? Also you shooters  with Fx smooth twist have the same problem?

sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
2018-07-03 15:09:17  

Lube the pellets.  Do not know the best formula for PCP's currently, but for springers Krytech has been the standard for a long time:

https://www.amazon.com/TrakPower-Krytech-Dry-Wax-Lubricant/dp/B0051VD6XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530644797&sr=8-2&keywords=krytech

ReplyQuote
Airgun-Channel
(@air-gun-channel)
2018-07-03 18:33:17  

That's not normal. I know that. You should really never havs to clean your Airgun barrel. Maybe the barrel is damaged in such a way that it collects lead. ???? Just a guess

ReplyQuote
functor
(@functor)
2018-07-03 19:07:41  

Some barrels do that. My S410 would shoot up to 150 shots with no change of group size or POI without needing a cleaning, whereas the my BSA Scorpion needs a scrub every 70-80 shots for the tightest groups. Both shoot the AA 8.4 grains, so it's not about pellets. I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Cleaning barrels is a good habit in my opinion. Shooting is all about repeating the same conditions and I feel a lot more comfortable when I clean the barrel exactly the same way after the same number of shots and be certain that my rifle is in the same condition as when I zeroed it/ tested it etc. It's quite a simple matter to run a couple of patches through a barrel after every shooting session and then season it-- if it needs to be-- with five fouling shots before one starts shooting again. 

Ahab thanked
ReplyQuote
Dave Larson
(@dave-larson)
2018-07-08 08:48:44  

I never cleaned my barrels until l started having same issue with my FX Royal .177 and l asked A.Z. About it. He said that they do lead up and told me that it definitely needs cleaned. He said to remove the barrel and LDC and push a brush through. I did that and it raised tracks in the built up lead for the whole length of the barrel! Before l brushed it that barrel looked really clean to me, but when it was done it looked completely different and l could see how dirty it really was. I immediately got the one hole groups back again. And it took many passes with the bronze brush and patches before it was pristine again. That barrel was one hole accurate for way over 3000 shots and l had come to believe that cleaning barrels was unnecessary, I’m a believer now! When it started getting inaccurate it was really gradual and I thought I was pulling my shots, but then I could tell something was wrong when the groups were consistently 3/4 of inch at my 40 yard target even shooting off of bags. Now it can hit flys at that distance again!  Sorry for such long post, I think you’re going to get same accuracy back for sure. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
jjmaine
(@jjmaine)
2018-07-08 14:46:46  

My warp (.25 TJ barrel) would foul very quickly and required frequent cleaning until Jim at WAR recommended lubing my pellets with FP-10.  Worked awesome and seriously extended cleaning intervals!

ReplyQuote
spider1942
(@spider1942)
2018-07-08 15:41:03  

I would follow AZs advice. And talk to any competative BR shooter about their cleaning habits. I shoot BR and clean after every card. 25 shots + any sighters. It makes a difference from a BR aspect. The secret is to NOT let your barrel get to the point where you have to flail away with a brass brush. Another variable is velocity. Generally the higher the velocity the greater chance of fouling.

AZ recommends SLICK 50 1 for pellet lube.

ReplyQuote
Noah_1325
(@noah_1325)
2018-07-08 18:49:56  
Posted by: spider1942

I would follow AZs advice. And talk to any competative BR shooter about their cleaning habits. I shoot BR and clean after every card. 25 shots + any sighters. It makes a difference from a BR aspect. The secret is to NOT let your barrel get to the point where you have to flail away with a brass brush. Another variable is velocity. Generally the higher the velocity the greater chance of fouling.

AZ recommends SLICK 50 1 for pellet lube.

Would any of you be able to share the best way/how you lube your pellets using Trakpower Krytech Dry Wax Lubricant as well as Slick 50? I've never lubed any of my pellets before and would love to hear your advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance 😉

ReplyQuote
spider1942
(@spider1942)
2018-07-12 16:03:29  

I put a squirt of slick into an empty pellet tin and add pellets about 1/3 - 1/2 full. Turn on side and gently rotate until pellets are coated. I then dump these on an old T shirt and move around and pat to remove excess slick.

ReplyQuote
Curt
 Curt
(@cwh)
2018-07-12 16:38:27  

There's this from T Holland    

ReplyQuote
Noah_1325
(@noah_1325)
2018-07-13 04:46:40  

Thank you, gentlemen - greatly appreciated. Basically what I had already thought and just wanted to make sure.

ReplyQuote
revoman
(@revoman)
2018-07-13 20:46:42  

Yeah, I wash them similarly, but I use a plastic ziplock bag to lube them.  The bag is secure, won't leak, I see exactly what is happening inside (v the tin) and know when the lube has coated completely.  Plus you can lube a bunch more pellets, more than a tin at a time.  I just save the bag on my bench for the next batch, the wax dries out, but gets reenergized with the new squirt for the next batch.

Curt thanked
ReplyQuote
Jld1969
(@jld1969)
2018-07-14 08:26:37  

I wash my pellets in a pasta strainer under hot water and let dry on a towel then put them in a zip lock and spray couple times with pellet lube or WD-40 it makes a big difference on my daystates and fx also edguns I only clean my barrels with patch worm cleaning system it's amazing best system for cleaning your barrel. As for your problem I would call Airguns of Arizona or Utah air and ask if that's normal I know it's not but they can check it out for you. John

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
2018-07-16 20:55:47  

I use a kitchen strainer to wash & clean pellets with a little Dawn dish soap before lubing... layout them out on an old flat oven tray to dry.

Instead of a zip lock bag, I use a small plastic container with a lid, like you use for leftovers in the fridge.

Put the dry pellets in there... spray a little KryTech (don't need much!) into the pellets, put the lid on, and swirl them around, and dump them out onto a shop cloth to dry... don't bother cleaning the plastic container, just put the lid on and save for your next batch of pellets... I often do a full 500 count tin at a time.

Been doing this for many years, since lubing was recommended, way back when.

ReplyQuote